Headaches in phase 1?

• Hello ladies!

TGIF at last! Unfortunately my afternoons this week have been disrupted by headaches - third day in a row that I've had one in the early afternoon. Do you think this is from being in phase one? I don't feel like I ate a particularly carby/sugary diet before doing SBD but maybe it's some kind of withdrawl from grains/sugar? I am drinking lots of water so I don't think it's dehydration. Heck, for all I know, it could just be from being at work, lol.

Aside from the headaches, phase one is going pretty great! Once I figure out what I'll be eating next week I'm hoping to get some prep work done on the weekend so I won't have to be doing so much cooking every night, so that should make week two even better.

Thanks for your help & for all your warm welcomes on the other question I posted
  • Chiming in late to add my to the chorus.

Are you having dairy - yogurt or milk? Also legumes will help. Remember this is not a LOW carb plan but a GOOD carb plan.

Perhaps you could post some menus for us to check out.
  • Thanks Ruth! Yes, I am having dairy - always a glass of skim milk in the morning, and I've been snacking on Kraft fat free cheese slices (my stomach is not a fan of many cheeses, lol) and putting skim milk in my tea. Here's today's eats so far:

Breakfast - 1 hard boiled egg, 1 hard boiled egg white, 2 slices turkey bacon, glass skim milk, glass V8

Morning snack - 20 pistachios

Lunch - big salad of mixed greens w/grilled skinless, boneless chicken, cucumbers, handful cherry tomatoes, spoonful of light feta, spoonful chopped kalamata olives, 2 tbsp Renee's balsamic viniagrette

1 coffee w/1 packet Splenda & 2 of those little creamers like you'd get at a restaurant (I know milk would be preferable for P1 but that's all we have at my office)

Afternoon snack (haven't eaten yet...not sure if I will as I'm not hungry) - cucumber slices, pepper slices, cauliflower with light sour cream dip

Dinner will be beef & bok choy stir fry (minus the cornstarch I usually use to thicken the sauce)

Breakfast, lunch and daytime snacks have pretty much been the same all week. Dinners have included low sugar teriyaki chicken for two nights (a recipe I found online at Kalyn's kitchen) and last night was a lean sirloin burger patty with a ton of kale chips. I've been having lots of veggies with dinners, too - steamed broccoli, etc. For snacks at night I've been munching on Kraft fat free cheese slices, sugar free jello cups, or more veggies (in love with snap peas right now!) I drink at least 60 oz of water every day too.
  • Jen I am no expert, but maybe you should be having your afternoon snack. Your menu looks good to me. just concerned how long you go without eating between lunch and dinner. if your blood sugar level gets too low (not that your meals suggests you would have spikes in your blood sugar) headaches can occur. Also, did you drastically reduce your coffee intake or switch to decaf? That may be the culprit. Try having your afternoon snack for a few days and see if it helps.
  • Hi Jennifer! I actually wondered if the problem might be caffiene withdrawl! I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning and a tea at some point during the day at work (and a Coke or Pepsi a few times a week if I'm being honest, lol). The Coke and Pepsi are obviously out the window now, and our Keurig broke last week () so I haven't been having my coffee each morning. It's also been ridiculously hot this week so I've been drinking more water and skipping the tea at work. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my headache went away after I had that coffee this afternoon! Fortunately we got a new Keurig tonight so it's probably best if I start having my morning coffee again, lol.

I didn't end up eating my veggies this afternoon because I truly wasn't hungry. I have a tendency to eat because I think I should, or because it's time, so I'm trying to listen to my true hunger cues as well. I went about 5 hours between lunch and dinner and really wasn't even that hungry by dinner time! I think the fat and protein in my salad were a great combo because I've been eating that for lunch all week and it's carried me through the afternoons pretty well!
  • I've absolutely had headaches, monster ones at that, almost every day for the past 3 days. I'm assuming it's from my sudden lack of extra sugars and Pepsi/Coke. Funny enough, Saturday went sort of ok, it was Sunday that was borderline migraine.. but today's been great! I feel really good and it feels good to be on the diet. I just make sure I try to eat as well-rounded as possible and eat my 3 "big" meals and snacks appropriately. But my headaches were definitely more because of the caffeine withdrawal and not the overload of sugar. x.x Keep going though because all of a sudden you just won't have them anymore and it feels really great!!
  • I did sb 2 yrs ago n had headaches, bad ones for the first wk. They will go away. Hang in there. The results r worth it