Newbie question re: Phase 1

• Hi everyone!

So glad I came across these forums as I begin the South Beach Diet! I'm on day 2 of phase 1 and all is good so far. I actually tried this diet about 5 years ago and had no problems with phase 1...it was transitioning into phase 2 that was my problem! I feel better prepared for it this time so hopefully I'll have more success this time around.

Anyway, just a quick question about a food item that I'm not sure is phase 1 "legal". I'm not sure if you're familiar with pappadums but they're like an indian flatbread. The ingredients on the brand (Patak's) I have in my cupboard are as follows: lentil flour, salt, sodium bicarbonate, rice flour, vegetable oil. One piece has 30 calories, 5 carbs and no sugar. Would these be suitable for phase 1 or should I stay away from them until phase 2? I have some hummus in the fridge and while I'm not a fan of veggies dipped in hummus, I thought these pappadum things would be a good low cal dipper. Thanks for your help!
  • The rice flour makes this a definite no for Phase 1 (and Phase 2 if it's white rice flour). There is some discussion about bean flours and whether they hit your blood sugar too hard for phase 1 but no definitive answer from Dr. A (unless I missed it)

to the boards. This place is the best!
  • Wow, that was quick! Thanks so much for the welcome and for your help I guess I'll put these away until phase 2 and see how they affect me (and I'll have to find another use for that hummus in the meantime, lol). Thanks again!
  • Jen - Here's a recipe for Flax Crackers - You can have up to 2 Tbs flax on P1: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/sna...axcrackers.htm. There may be one in the recipe's in the forum. I've also made chips out of thinly sliced zucchini dehydrated in the microwave. I happen to love veggies and hummus, but when you dry the zucchini it tastes much more like a chip or cracker.
    Good luck!
  • That looks like my kind of recipe! (aka easy to make & tasty!) I think I'll try that this weekend - provided the weather is "turn the oven on to 400" friendly, lol. Thanks for sharing it!
  • Cat, how do you make the zucchini chips?? That sounds like a great idea, especially with summer coming
  • WELCOME JEN!!!!! I've found these boards very helpful.