Is this a good menu?

• Is this a good menu for a day or is this too much cheese? (Phase 2)

B: 1/2 c egg beaters with diced ham and lf cheese, v8, coffee with sf syrup
    S: cucumber slices with lf cheese stick
    L: stuffed portabella (turkey sausage, tomato sauce, parm and lf mozz), sf jello, small salad (romaine and hidden valley creamy parm dressing), and asperagus
    S: apple, lf cheese stick
    D:baked chicken nuggets with almond meal, cheesy cauliflower and ham cassarole
    S: FF fudgsickle with natural PB and cool whip free
  • Mysh, I was waiting for the rest of the chicks to pop in but ...

IMHO there is way too much cheese in your plan. Snacks are really not necessary in Phase II unless you feel the need for them. Cheese is very high calorie - even the rf variety - so you should limit your quantity.

By the way, where is the dairy - skim milk or yogurt? Some legumes would also be in there. Salad is great but you also need the nutrition from other veggies.

I hope this helps. Post another couple of menus for us to look at.

You might try running your menu through Fitday to get a handle on calories and fat/protein/carb ratios.
  • Ruth -
    That's great info. I'm taking it and looking at my own menus to evaluate!
  • Thanks Ruth for taking a look. I don't know what Fitday is I have seen it mentioned on others posts though and have been curious. Could you explain a bit?
    I do usually drink a cup of skim milk with dinner and lately have been eating ff/sf yogurt. Often times for desert I make something with ff Greek yogurt as well. I had forgotten to add that.

As for the snacks I don't always feel that I need one in the morning but usually at least once a day i am hungry outside of mealtime. Usually I carry cucumber slices with lf cheese stick for convenience. Any advice on the snack thing would be appreciated. Should I use ff refried beans as my snack? I am not very good with adding legumes.
    Here is my plan for today:
    B:steel cut oatmeal with sf syrup, v8, ff/sf yogurt, coffee with sf syrup
    L:grilled ground chic patty on WW English muffin, salad ( romaine,cherry tomatoes, cucumber, hidden valley farmhouse original creamy parm dressing),sf jello cup
    S: cucumber slices and lf cheddar cheese stick
    D: grilled chicken breast, green beans with mushrooms and balsamic vinegar, 1 percent lf cottage cheese, skim milk
    Desert: not sure yet either Greek yogurt with nat p butter or sf fudge sickle or sf vanilla latte with skim milk

Thanks in advance for taking a look.
  • Fitday is an online tracking tool, just one example of many available.

Everyone is different with what works for them on this plan. I, for example, eat lots of snacks. I do eat a fair amount of cheese but have found a fat free version that is only 50 calories per serving. Most afternoons I eat a huge plate of "green bean fries" or have a sweet potato (not PH1) and often fruit and cheese for another snack. You could certainly snack on beans but I prefer to have them as part of a recipe for a meal. You can also snack on cold cuts. Or nuts, also calorie dense so watch serving sizes. Or leftovers from meals. We keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge for snacks, but I don't eat the yolks since I have a cholesterol problem.
  • Quote: Snacks are really not necessary in Phase II unless you feel the need for them.
    I read this when it was posted (last week?) and it has stuck with me. I first went on SBD in 2007 and have been subscribing to the principles with varying degrees of commitment since then. I NEVER noticed that snacks were only required in Phase 1. I was always trying to force in more snacks and feeling slightly guilty over never having a mid-morning snack.

Live and learn...
  • Quote: Any advice on the snack thing would be appreciated. Should I use ff refried beans as my snack? I am not very good with adding legumes.
    oh and Mysh - I find that the best snack for me is hummus with the most nutrient-rich veggies possible (broccoli, red/orange bell peppers, cauliflower, carrots). So delicious and healthy.