South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #1  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

Arrow new to South Beach diet

I feel kind of overwhelmed but i know i have carb issues. my issue is that i love them lol. so I figured this diet would be a good choice for me. so, any tips? advice? etc...

today is my first day. i have had a egg casserols breakfast dish that I found the recipe for online, almonds, water, decaf tea, and brocolli. i feel satisfied but i am anxious that the next two weeks will be unbearable. how did you get through your first two weeks?

any iput would be appreciated. thanks
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Hi and welcome. I am in week 2 of P2. The first couple of days were the hardest for me. I am a visual (emotional too at times) eater. I found keeping my meals and snacks colorful really helped. Also dare I say peanut butter! I forgot how much I enjoy it. I try to plan my meals one day in advance. This way at work I do not have any excuse not to eat what I took the time and money to make.

Spaghetti squash is a great substitute for pasta. I don't really miss bread. Sugar was a different story. My sweet tooth used to control every day, especially the stressful ones. Dont get me wrong, I still miss them, but not like I thought I would. Seeing results is motivating me to say no thank you a lot more.

You sound like you are off to a great start. Consult the book frequently and check the message boards. Great support and tasty recipes too. I check in daily as when I did WW years ago I found the support of other members to be just what I needed some days.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

It takes incredible amounts of will power at times. Pure, raw, sheer will power. The mind is a powerful thing, it really is a mind game. Your mind is going to rationalize all the reasons why you should eat that sweet treat or that bread roll... at least that's what happened to me, lol.

Towards the end of the second week though you will already feel the benefits and the cravings are pretty much gone. I could look at something and think it looked scrumptious but know that I wasn't going to eat it and that my mind wasn't going to even try to convince me. Especially since I was already seeing the benefits. I lost 13 lbs in P1, but I was even more happy about the fact that I didn't feel bloated, I didn't realize how bloated refined carbs made me, and my face cleared up completely... it was pretty amazing.

That said... I got to P2 and fell off the wagon. I've generally been eating well ever since though even though not following SBD to the letter, it really changed the way that I looked at food, so I've been able to maintain the loss. I am starting P1 again tomorrow and I want to do it for at least a month, so I'll be in this journey with you

Wish you the best of luck! Just stick to it... you wont regret it!
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #4  
yes girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme0510 View Post
I lost 13 lbs in P1, but I was even more happy about the fact that I didn't feel bloated,

Wish you the best of luck! Just stick to it... you wont regret it!
Thanks! I work at a medical clinic and one patient told me the same thing about the bloating. she said she had been off of sugar for 3 weeks and noticed that she wasn't bloated anymore. I'm hoping to also have more energy.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Ditto, here...several days were just hardcore willpower telling myself I wanted to do this right and definitely did not want to have to restart. I'm glad I did it and you can, too.

Coming here helps and staying out of the grocery stores as much as possible made it easier for me, too.

Welcome!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #6  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi and to South Beach!! My winter job is in a deli/bakery, so my temptations were insane to me sometimes (edit to add STILL insane)..but we have great food for our first two weeks, and you just have to *power* through.

A nice serving of eggs/veggies for breakfast, perhaps some turkey rollups and a big salad at lunch, a big baggie of cut up green and red bell pepper strips with flavored nonfat yogurt for snack, some homemade chili over a ton of salad greens for dinner, a shot glass of natural peanut butter for evening snack that's how I survived.

I just kept looking over the list of foods that I could have, instead of thinking about what I couldn't have. And DO come here everyday!! the chicks are SO supportive

I tell you, having your pants become so baggy that you have to get rid of them, and getting into a smaller size? flippin fanTAStic!

Last edited by VermontMom; 05-04-2012 at 09:34 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #7  
yes girl

Tonight I had refried beans n' fat free cheddar cheese. I also had some brocolli. And water. Jello for dessert. it was satisfying.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

Nice to meet you! PH1 can be hard. I just keep telling myself I can do anything for 14 days I found it helped to really plan. Both to be sure I had lots of healthy snacks but also tasty meals; there are great recipes on this site.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Hi there! I'm at the end of week one, Phase one. Some parts are easier, some parts are harder. But - I was unable to lose weight calorie counting, and it looks like I've lost 3 lbs week one. Since I'm 53 with a SLOW metabolism, that's pretty darn amazing. My daughter, 20, lost 6. So - while it's tough sometimes, it seems to be working!!
Just make sure to eat enough, and include your snacks. That actually seems to help this work better.
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Hello everyone!

I'm new to SB too - just started today, actually! I've been counting calories for the last little while, but it was too easy to cheat , sub in alcohol for healthy foods or eat too little because I stupidly thought that would *help* my weight loss.

What I'm starting to love about SB is that I don't have to worry about over-underestimating calories (or weighing every tiny thing I eat). I'll keep my portion sizes small, eliminate the bad fats and casually count calories to ensure that I'm still below my maintenance level.

I have a question about the allowed food list: things like red/yellow peppers and tomatoes are REALLY high in sugar. Should I try to limit my intake of sugary veggies like tomatoes/peppers?
Kaitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/206/140

Height: 5'6"

I did SB a few years ago and the first few days were admittedly pretty rough. Once I got over that hump things got a bit easier and my body started adjusting to the lack of all the refined sugars and caffeine I'd been pumping into myself. I found that when I was having a craving (not hunger, just that sort of "gotta have", you know what I mean!) I would jog in place for a few mins, or take a laps around the living room. It might sound a little odd, but that little bit of motion was just enough of a distraction to keep me from heading to the kitchen for anything that I knew I didn't really want or need. I plan on doing that exact same thing now. I also have a skirt that I want to fit into as a physical manifestation that I'm actively changing myself. So whenever I feel a little grumpy or like I'm having a negative craving, I can go and look at my skirt and remind myself that giving into the random and bad snacking wont make that skirt go on any easier!
Moonlily is offline   Reply With Quote