Tomato soup recipe for Phase 1?

• Hello! New to the forums, not-so-new to the diet. I've been on SB for about 9 months now and maintaining about 15 lbs lost, which I'm ecstatic about. But I digress.

I've been craving tomato soup for a long while now, and I want to make my own, but most of the so called 'low carb' recipes turn out to have an ungodly amount of carbs in them. Even ones listed as Phase 1 friendly that HAVE the nutritional breakdown have upwards of 50 grams of carbs with not a lot of them being fiber.

I'm a bit apprehensive to try any recipes listed as 'low carb' or 'Phase 1 friendly' that don't have the nutritional breakdown, so my question is this:

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for tomato soup? Preferably one that HAS a nutritional breakdown? If not, that's okay too, just some reassurance knowing that someone has tried, liked it, and it didn't make them balloon would be wonderful.
  • Most people on SBD don't count carbs...although some do count calories. After 9 months, you don't need to be on phase I anymore either, but it is good to avoid food that sets off cravings if you need to.

Saying that, I love, love, love this recipe, and I don't like tomato soup!!
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-...ii/detail.aspx

I only add milk at the end. The only thing phase II about it then is carrots, which should be fine for you. Personally, that low of flour and sugar don't bother me, but if you want to be strict you can substitute other thickeners, and splenda (or no sugar).

I make TONS of recipes that I share with my neighbor, many of them sweets. When I asked him which recipe was his favorite (fully expecting the answer to be a sweet), he said this soup! He called it a "flavor explosion".

Oh - and I'm a real butter freak, I don't use subsitutes, but I cut that butter in half generally when I make it.
  • Thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely have to try it!

The reason I asked for Phase 1 is that I tend to lean more toward phase 1 in general. I have a pretty difficult time maintaining where I am if I find I'm becoming too lenient with what I let myself eat (for some reason, whole grain bread makes me start craving chocolate like there's no tomorrow, which is a shame, because I LOVE whole grain bread).

I don't necessarily count carbs, I just tend to stay away from crap food, which is usually high in the stuff, and when I see a recipe that says it has 48 grams of them not from fiber, I start to worry.

However, the butter doesn't necessarily worry me - not like I'm eating the whole batch and I don't normally use that much butter at one time anyway. Comfort food is MEANT to have a little butter in it, imo :>

Thanks again for the link! Good to have a firsthand experience with a recipe instead of just finding one and hoping!
  • Mmmm...let me know if you like it!
  • I make my own tomato soup every couple weeks or so for breakfast.

I sautee half an onion in a little bit of olive oil, add a little minched garlic. Add about 15 chopped Roma tomatoes and simmer until they break down. I add a little salt and pepper to taste, and a touch of cayenne. Then, I blend the whole thing with a stick blender. I cook mine in a large saute pan so that it reduces better, but it gets to be a pretty good consistency and quite simple. I will add a tablespoon of fat free and half and half to my bowl of soup sometimes for a little luxury. But, I haven't felt like I've needed carrots, flour, broth, milk, or any of that. Just tomatoes and onions. I am considering adding some red peppers though.

Man... I'm going to have to make tomato soup tonight!
  • Just an update! I tried TwynnB's recipe and it was fantastic! Left out the flour - found it really had a nice consistency without it anyway, and used a bit less sugar than called for in liquid Splenda form. Also left out the onions, celery and carrots as I'm not a huge fan of chunky veggies in my tomato soup to begin with (and I had forgotten celery to begin with lol).

Here's a picture:

Fiancee and I immediately tore into it and the aftermath was that it was almost halfway finished lol

SouthLake, I'll be trying yours next because I'm not sure if the butter is necessary in the first recipe or not, but if it is, it'd be dangerous if I just sat down and at the whole thing myself, which I was tempted to do haha
  • I make something really similar to South Lake's tomato soup - I saute an onion and some garlic in olive or canola oil, and then I add a big can of Italian San Marzano tomatoes (Costco sells a giant can of them). Then I puree it with an immersion blender, and add some chicken broth to thin it down a little. At the end, I add a couple of Tbsp of reduced fat sour cream, and salt to taste. My husband and I eat it just like that, but my kids like it when I throw some pasta and chopped up chicken into it. One of the few meals I've found that makes everyone happy (I've got some picky kids).
  • I wouldn't use the butter either, since you didn't use any of the additional veggies...they really give them a nice flavor when you saute them. When I make it, I use the immersion blender to completely liquify it, so there's no chunks. Glad you like it with just straight tomatoes!
  • Just saw this recipe to add to the collection
  • Quote: Just saw this recipe to add to the collection
    I like this one - no gluten, can be dairy free and vegetarian if you choose and uses agave instead of sugar. I make my own broths - chicken and veggie, so plan to give it a try. Anything with roasted garlic has to be good.