South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #1  

Default How do you lose the last few lbs?

(If this posts twice..first incomplete as the kitty was tap-dancing on the keyboard, I apologize!)

For those who have reached goal or are very close to it...how did you get rid of the last 4-5 lbs? I am under 5' tall so this makes a big difference. I have been at a plateau since Thanksgiving. I am VERY happy that the holidays didn't add any "poundage" but I, truly, want to get rid of a few more. I drink lots of water, walk, briskly, 2 miles everyday, and do other cardio and weight training to keep fit. I guess I look ok because at a Super Bowl party yesterday 2 people said to DH "feed her." I am not trying to go underweight. There is just a "fighting weight" I am trying to attain.
This is just the most wonderful and supportive place I have ever encountered.
shortchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

The only suggestion I can make is to exercise regularly and limit grains. This is what I have to do to maintain.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

One thing that sometimes helps me with any plateau is to vary my eating over the course of several days. Like eat less calories one day and more the next then in between. Our bodies adjust quickly and sometimes our metabolism slows in response.

Speaking of which, the less you weigh the slower your metabolism which makes those last pounds hard!

You can also try varying your workouts. Again, our bodies adjust.

I get it - I am pretty petite and 5 pounds is a full size on me. But you also need to find where your body is comfortable to maintain. As a yo-yo dieter, I think that in the past I have struggled because I wanted to be just a bit thinner and if I'd been happy where I was I might have maintained easily instead of gaining back
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #4  

Thanks for the tips, Chicks!
I don't eat bread, or any grain, very often. I haven't had pasta in probably 2 years. I find that spaghetti squash, sprouts, or sauteed cabbage give me a great "base" for Italian or Chinese food. Maybe I have just set an unrealistic goal. I know I have body-image issues...I just don't see myself as a thin person. I need to deal with that and get on. I truly appreciate the advice.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1.5"

I am a short chick, too. I think sometimes the recommended weight charts are WAY off for people our size. I totally agree with WaistingTime, that sometimes it's best not to shoot for a number but to find a weight that is healthy for you that you can maintain without feeling like you're constantly fighting yourself.

Just speaking from my own experience--this may not apply to you at all and I hope it doesn't--but I have done some real damage to myself in the past trying to maintain a weight that was really too low, and I still had a hundred different things I didn't like about my body. There was never any magic size or magic weight or that I hit and all of a sudden I was happy. I never was. I just didn't like my body and I wanted to make it disappear. So it might be worth sitting down and looking at why it's important to you to reach that weight, are you really going to be happier with yourself when you get there?

Again not trying to make any assumptions, that was just my experience. It's hard sometimes when you don't fit the mold, I'm a short curvy chick and always felt like my body looked disproportionate even at my lowest weight.
MissusTaterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #6  

Thanks, Tater!

You are on the money regarding the weight charts. I often think, "My God..my bones must weigh that much!" Unfortunately, like you, I have never reached a point where I totally liked how I looked. Even in my early 20's when I was way under 100 lbs I always thought my thighs were too fat, my waist too big..you get the picture. After all of the kind comments here, I am convinced I need to re-evaluate where I want to be. (I am, however, down 1 lb this morning.) I think this is where I will stay...just do all I can to maintain.

You all are great. Thanks much.