3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   New to SB; this seems impossible! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/251874-new-sb%3B-seems-impossible.html)

MissusTaterHead 01-31-2012 09:51 AM

New to SB; this seems impossible!

I just started on South Beach a few days ago, and I have to say, it seems too good to be true! It looks like people are having a lot of success with this diet but after just a few days of eating great food, and not being hungry at all, I feel like I must be doing something wrong??? :?:

I'm going to stick with Phase One for two weeks just to see what happens because I'm getting the chance to cook all kinds of vegetables that I don't usually make (my family doesn't like them) -- kale, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, mushrooms -- and also because after three days I'm already feeling so much less bloated and puffy, the way I always feel when I've eaten too many carbs or just overindulged in any way.

I love all kinds of veggies, veggie juice, eggs, etc and am not a big dessert eater or even a big fruit eater. Even bread--unless it's in pizza form--most of the time I can take it or leave it. If I start on it, though, I have a hard time stopping. My biggest downfall is crackers, roasted nuts and other snacks--so I'm going to keep nuts as an emergency snack or a garnish only, and stick with raw, unsalted nuts, because they tend to be less addictive for me.

A little about me--I'm 38, five one or two, and right now at about 138 lbs, which is only 10 or 15 lbs over my 'ideal' weight, but for the last few months to a year I've been in what I call free fall, lots of midnight snacking and junk food. I lost 20-25 lbs a year and a half ago and have been slowly working on gaining it back. I'm looking for a lifestyle commitment that will make it easier to maintain and also improve my general energy level and maybe resolve some issues with bloating and digestion that have developed since I hit my mid thirties. Like I said, I've already seen a difference there, so even though I'm not convinced I'm going to lose weight on this diet, if I feel good and I enjoy the food, maybe I'll focus more on calorie counting later on down the road. I spent years, though, obsessively calorie counting and exercising to maintain a weight that really was way too low for me, and have had a dysfunctional relationship with food for most of my life. I think exercise is great, in a healthy way, which this was not. So after experiencing total burnout as a result of these years, I'm reluctant to start down that road again.

Anyway this looks like a great forum, I hope I didn't sound too negative initially because if this diet works I'm going to be totally thrilled!! :^: I'm not hoping for perfection anymore, not quite as hard on myself as I was a few years ago--just hoping to drop a size or two and improve my general well being. Nice to meet you all!

thefrenchgirl 01-31-2012 10:30 AM

:welcome2: It sounds like you're off to a great start, Tater! I loved the way I felt when I first started and lost the water weight and bloat. Also, it reset my blood sugar and helped me feel more stable, if you know what I mean. Good luck!

MissusTaterHead 01-31-2012 11:24 AM

Thanks frenchgirl. It's liberating! Cooking for a not terrible picky but picky enough family, most nights I'm a slave to the same boring dinner formulas that I've been cooking year after year after year. This will give me a chance to really shake things up and give them a chance to try some different things that I wouldn't otherwise cook unless I was cooking for just me. Tonight I'm making a chicken curry with basmati rice (for them), which isn't anything new, but I'll be making roasted cauliflower with cumin seeds for me so maybe they'll try that, too.

I'm looking forward to the next couple weeks, had a great breakfast this morning and when I was putting the salsa back in the fridge I saw the coupons for McD's sausage and biscuits, usually a guilty pleasure for me...but I just thought...ew!

asphyxia63 01-31-2012 11:34 AM

Hello and welcome!
I'm only 5'1 so I understand how "only 10-15 lbs" is a LOT of extra weight at this height. I started this round of SBD in May 2011 (my third time around, I believe- life gets in the way of plans sometimes) at 143 lbs. I lost about 15 lbs then I got off track during the holidays and came back Jan 2 at 135. I am hoping that my weigh-in tomorrow reads 131 or lower. My ultimate dream goal is listed as 110 but realistically I'd be happy under 120. I carry a LOT of it in the middle around my waistline which is not good... I'm 29 and have been overweight since probably the age of 11...

Anyways, it can be done! The allowable food is unbelievable and wonderful and, to me at least, seems too good to be true! But it is true! My body feels so good when I eat this way and as soon as I stray off plan my digestive system gets very unhappy with me. So most importantly, if you feel good, then it must be working!

OnaMi 01-31-2012 11:37 AM

Enjoy your journey :carrot:I felt the same way when i started.I couldn't believe that i had so many options of good food to eat.:)

WaistingTime 01-31-2012 01:02 PM

I get it too; for me 5 pounds is a full clothing size. I wish I liked veggies like you do! One major change I've made on SB is eating them regularly but it is a conscious effort every day. I can't keep crackers in the house!

MissusTaterHead 01-31-2012 07:54 PM

Thanks, all of you. To the other short ladies, it's so frustrating to watch my husband go up 10 or 15 pounds and no one can even tell but him. I don't think his pants even get tight! It's hard for me to imagine losing weight without counting calories constantly, since the calorie allowance for someone our size is just not that high...and the food I'm eating has been so freaking good! lol Well thanks again for the welcome! :)

VermontMom 01-31-2012 08:02 PM

Hi and :welcome: MissusTaterHead! (funny name :D ) I'm new here too, day 4, and it has been relatively easy because of the allowed foods. Yay!

MissusTaterHead 01-31-2012 10:12 PM

Thank you! I can't believe how easy it's been. I'm sure it will get harder. My daughter was eating a mango earlier and it looked so good to me. In a week and a half, I'll have one. :) Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

chickadeee55 02-01-2012 06:22 AM

Welcome, it sounds like you are doing good. This is a great plan with so many options. Enjoying it just makes it easier.

MissusTaterHead 02-01-2012 06:59 AM

Good morning Chickadee. I noticed your post in the OP thread because I've been eating black beans and eggs in the morning. I thought that was a weird breakfast so I laughed when I saw your post. With a little avocado and salsa though they are a great breakfast! :) Thanks for the welcome!

CyndiM 02-01-2012 07:27 AM

I rarely get around to the OP thread but eat beans, eggs, and veggies almost every morning. Yum! I told people that beans were the secret to my weight loss ;)

MissusTaterHead 02-01-2012 08:24 AM

Awesome...I was worried I was overdoing it on the beans. I made some hummus too the other day, and I'm about to throw some beans and kale in the crockpot for tonight.

I couldn't help myself and went and fed my menu from yesterday into Fitday. It was right in line with what I'd shoot for in the past so I'm getting less skeptical! It's just hard to believe, I was not hungry at all and actually felt like I was eating all day long. Maybe because I was preparing food all day long? :^:

I still prefer not to count but I may keep a log on Fitday for a while just to get a feel for when I'm overdoing it. I love Fitday because you get a complete nutritional profile of your diet, not just fat and calories. It's nice, when you're eating a ton of veggies, to see all those nutrients go up.

CyndiM 02-01-2012 08:48 AM

I've always used FitDay and still do in maintenance. I like knowing how everything balances out and if I'm missing anything. I often eat beans with every meal so as long as your stomach can handle it go for it :)

jenne1017 02-01-2012 08:53 AM

:welcome:

Post often! And check out the recipe section -many are KID APPROVED!