SBD Chat - Monday, January 9th

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Good morning. Little puffs of snow are falling and we are back to normal January weather - and a normal schedule.

Donna and I are off to the gym this morning - I will be forced to face reality in those darned mirrors! Then I'm full speed ahead with the usual stuff plus cooking for a funeral for a very loved man in our Parish. Walt loved dogs so I will not feel badly about taking wee Jazz with me to the service tomorrow and then, skipping the lunch, going on to do pet therapy at the nursing home where he spent the past two months. The Bishop approves so the old curmudgeons in the Parish can just get over it!

The curators are now back at the Mill Office part time so I'll be back to doing accounting a lot. Sure was a nice break but now it's back to reality - with scheduled "me" times every day.

How does your Monday look from behind your coffee mug?
  • Hey, Ruth, I thought you were retired.

As usual, the weekend sped by before I could blink an eye. We got a lot accomplished though, and are all set for the kids to move in next weekend. Today should be pretty much routine at the farm. While I was making dinner yesterday, I threw together a broccoli quinoa casserole for tonight's supper, so I won't have to cook when I get home.

The week is looking good from behind my coffee mug.
  • Good morning chicks!

Ruth - I agree....aren't you retired?! Good for you for bringing Jazz, I'm sure the honoree would approve!

Cottage - mmmm...that quinoa broccoli casserole sounds delish. Is there a recipe?

Speaking of which, I was thinking ofmaking a blackbean quinoa salad. I'm bean souped out, but maybe because of this CRAZY weather, bean salad sounds wonderful. I made the menu for the week yesterday, but somehow...forgot to plan something for today. Hmmmm....

Cyndi - just read yesterday's post, I'm so sorry with everything you're going through. Praying for your peace, support from friends, and for DW.
  • Hey guys,
    Yes Ruth - you are busier than me and I have a full time job and a kid to boot.

This weekend re: food I was really good until about 4pm each day, and then it all sort of fell apart. But no matter! I'm ready to get back on the bandwagon today. On the plate, just work and then home. Hope everyone has a great one!
  • My retirement motto is "I'd rather burn out than rust out!" So far it's working since I don't find much rust when I shower.
  • Ruth, I call Jeff a curmudgeon occasionally -- when he deserves it.

Linda, I saw quinoa at Whole Foods this weekend, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Is it like couscous?

Twynn, This crazy weather is making me want to plant something!

Mathilda, Weekend eating is more of a challenge for me. Is it you?

Cyndi, I'm thinking about you and Julie today.

It's another rainy day here. We should see sun on Thursday. I survive January if it's sunny...

My eating has been half-way this week. My goal today is 100% Ph. 1!
  • Cyndi, prayers and hugs for you and Julie.

Here's my recipe for the broccoli quinoa casserole. It's SO good! Chelby, quinoa has a slightly nutty flavor and is chewier than couscous. It makes a great substitute for rice in just about any recipe.

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpres...h-a-new-twist/
  • Good Morning

I slept in and coffee still isn't helping. I have my food planned for the day and head to work soon, which will be my exercise.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Chelby - me too! I'm fantasizing about planting a spring crop of greens (although I just got some of my kale out for a green smoothie!). FWIW - I think quinoa is awesome...much better than couscous!

Debbie - congrats!! (on sleeping in )

OMG cottage - just looked at that recipe, looks fantastic! I might make it tonight!!
  • Another Monday already!

Cyndi - Thinking of you both.

Ruth - Is that the same Donna who does your cleaning? Hope the gym visit was great and invigorating, despite all the mirrors.

Linda - That recipe looks yummy. My husband loves the quinoa burgers from the same site.

Twynn - You must be having the warm weather that left here! Enjoy.

Matilda - I'm with you. Climbing back on the bandwagon today. Sigh.

Chelby - Quinoa is a grain-like seed with lots more protein than most grains. You can find lots of recipes online. Try it!

Debbie - Hopefully your "exercise" will perk you right up.

I'm having computer problems today. I hope it's not a sign that it will be one of "those" days. I'm off to the gym with my mom. Then I really have to get to the mall with a return. (I saw a segment on the news about how many stores have shortened their return periods this year.)

Yesterday I "helped" DS1 clean out his closet. The first step in preparation for his official move when he graduates college in May. He filled two trash bags, 3 bags for donations, a huge box of recycling... and, there's still more stuff to go. He said "I guess I should move every few years to force myself to clean stuff out." My little pack rat; he takes after his dad.
  • good morning,

I feel like today is really back to normal. Kids are back in school and everyone is back to work.
    Cyndi - thinking of you and Julie and hoping everything works out soon
    Everyone else have a great day.
    take care
    Sophie
  • Good morning

Quinoa is yummy. I like it so much more than rice. It cooks up in 6 minutes in my rice cooker too, can't beat that

Thanks for all the wishes. Things are moving, slowly but still moving. We might get out of here Wed. I'm really adamant that I don't want to go home until we are pretty sure she can handle it and we won't need to come back in 2-3 days. Enough of that already!

Made roasted cabbage again last night. It's so good, easy and quick and I have several heads of cabbage. Perfect.

Hope your Monday is a breeze.
  • Frustration
    Good morning!

I am currently on Day 8 of Phase 1. I have been very very good and not cheated at all. I even turned down an offer for a drink-date on Saturday night and survived yesterday while a friend with thru the McDonalds drive thru and ate while I was in the car with him.

My problem is, I've GAINED a pound in the 8 days since I started. This is super frustrating, because I PROMISE I haven't cheated. AND to increase my exercise, I've gone from walking my dog about 2/3 a mile a day to 2.5 miles per day! (And it actually feels great once we're done w/ the 2 miles at night - I have motivation to do stuff around the house and not just sit on the couch!).

Now, I probably haven't been eating 4.5 cups of veggies every day, thats the only part of the plan I haven't stuck. But that's because I'm honestly feeling full faster with the protein and veggies I AM eating (and I'm working on my issue of stop eating once I feel full and not just gorging on more food).

Anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints? I was excited to try South Beach and want to stick with it - but if I'm not improving, then I'd really like to back to eatting "bad" stuff!!!
  • Good morning everyone, i would like to introduce myself. I'm Maxine and i'm starting phase 1 today. My husband is on board with me so it makes it much easier. Wish us luck, i hope to post here daily to keep myself motivated. Have a good day!!
  • Good afternoon everyone,
    My day has been a little crazy....we realized this morning that my debit card was being used by someone...and not me! Over $500 in charges for online purchases. Spent the morning at the bank and we should see the money in seven days or so. Now I'm at the salon getting my first foil and cut in over a year...I'm so bad with hair upkeep!

Still plugging away at sb...but don't seem to be losing anything at the moment. Oh well, I feel good, so that's what is important. I know the pounds will start coming off eventually.

Cyndi, thinking of you!
    Ruth, you do too much!
    Hi, Maxine! And hi to everyone else. I get too frustrated posting from my phone, so that is about it for now.