What do I do with lentils?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I bought a package of pre-cooked refrigerated lentils from Trader Joes, but I have no idea what to do with them. I was hoping I could dress them up a little and have them for a yummy quick lunch. Any suggestions?
  • I love making lentil soup with them. Especially this time of year. I think I even posted a recipe in the sb recipe forum for lentil soup. I may make some tomorrow come to think of it.
  • A cold lentil salad with chopped peppers, onions, feta and olive oil vinaigrette is really good too as a side dish or main dish salad over some greens.
  • Quote: A cold lentil salad with chopped peppers, onions, feta and olive oil vinaigrette is really good too as a side dish or main dish salad over some greens.
    I echo this!

Also, you can make a lentil burger or just add to salads for extra protein.
  • I've always wanted to try Snobby Joes! (leave out the maple syrup, or substitute agave/artificial sweetener if desired). And here is more information about using lentils in tacos, Bolognese sauce, etc...

Otherwise, I totally second (third?) the idea to make lentil salad. Love it!
  • Warm up and add to warm cooked cubed potato, chopped green onions, and balsamic vinaigrette for a warm potato lentil salad.

A.
  • Search the recipe forums for lentil soup or stew. Very hearty, warms the tummy.
  • PPK's Snobby Joe's are awesome! They're a non-SBD staple here--even my husband likes them, and he's always leery of veggie recipes. I make them with agave (maple syrup's too expensive) and it turned out fine--just a word of caution, the recipe is SUPER spicy, and I'm usually okay with spice...
  • Lentil salad is yummo! Or today I added some to some ratatouille (sauteed onion, zucchini, yellow squash, bell proper, onion, garlic) for some extra protein and texture. Delicious!
  • http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasty-lentil-tacos/

Of course, you'd have to find a substitute for the taco shells, but they are pretty delish.
  • make this soup! i'm eating it now and it is fantastic.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2008/02...cipe-with.html
  • Anyone have experience making soup from the precooked lentils? You would definitely end up with a different soup, might be more brothy without the lentils actually cooking in it. I know that's true with other beans. I would probably stick with dried for soups and precooked for salads (yum!), tacos, burgers, etc. Another vote for those snobby joe's too, we made them with agave and did enjoy them.
  • One of my all time favorite recipes - Barefoot Contessa's Stewed Lentils & Tomatoes. The best part is, it keeps in the fridge for a few days and is good both hot and cold! Ugh, its so good I want it right now!

Stewed Lentils & Tomatoes
    Adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home

2 teaspoons good olive oil
    2 cups large-diced yellow onions (2 onions)
    2 cups large-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
    1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes
    1 cup French green lentils (7 ounces)
    2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
    2 teaspoons mild curry powder
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and the carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.

Meanwhile, place the canned plum tomatoes, including the juice, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse several times until the tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Rinse and pick over the lentils to make sure there are no stones in the package.

Add the tomatoes, lentils, broth, curry powder, thyme, salt and pepper to the pan. Raise the heat to bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer covered for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Check occasionally to be sure the liquid is still simmering. Remove from the heat and allow the lentils to sit covered for another 10 minutes. Add the vinegar, season to taste and serve hot.
  • I just picked up 4 bags of french lentils at my local discount grocer. Can't wait to try this recipe!
  • I love, love, love Barefoot Contessa. This recipe will be tried soon by me as well!

Cyndi, good point about pre-cooked vs. dry lentils.