South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default You would have thought I committed a crime

In order for me to be happy and stay on plan I need to be able to still have some of my old favorite comfort foods. I revamp them to make them SB friendly.

I had really been craving Chicken & Dumplin's. So I happened to find some whole wheat dumpling strips at food lion and I decided to buy & try. And because I'm incredibly lazy I bought a rotisserie chicken too.

Last night I separated the chicken from the bones & other parts and added the meat to a stock pot with some water and in another pot I put the bones & skin with some water to make a chicken stock. I broke up the WW dumpling pastrys and added it in with the meat. It really never did get creamy like it should be so I mixed up a bit of ff milk and whole wheat white flour in a jar and stirred it in to make it thicker.

I served it to the family and like I said in the title, you would have thought I committed a crime. They ate the broth & chicken but left the dumplings. I do have to admit, the dumplings were not good. I won't be doing that again! BUT!!! The creamy broth & chicken part was Delish! I'm planning on trying to make some dumplings with the whole wheat white flour next time.

So the other thing I made recently was country style steak. Again with the whole wheat white flour I seasoned about a cup of it with salt & pepper. I took cubed steak and lightly doused it with the seasoned flour. I heated about 2 tbsp olive oil in a nonstick pan and fryed on both sides just until done. Remove the meat and sprinkle in just enough of the left over seasoned flour to soak up the remaining oil in the pan and make a roux. Cook the roux for about a minute and then add enough ff milk & water (about a 3:1 ratio) to make a gravy. If you need to thin the gravy, add water to cut back on the calories. Put the meat back in the gravy and simmer for a few minutes. Serve with brown rice and veggies.
This was incredibly yummy and a awesome meal for a Sunday dinner. The family loved it and asked fore more!
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #2  

Mmmmmm that sounds great.

Trust me a few years after they leave home it'll hit them how good they had it.
Gabriel Aidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I had a similar experience -- pre SBD. My MIL makes the 'best' macaroni and cheese, according to her sons. I can make a pretty good copy. Several years back, I decided to use Barefoot Contessa's recipe with gouda cheese in bechamel sauce. It was, honestly, to die for. I served it for some holiday. DH and his two brothers were horrified that I had messed with The Recipe. They did NOT have an open mind about gouda. Silly boys!
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #4  
I think I can...

LOL I always make the mac n Cheese for holidays and one year I tried to use some kind of low carb noodles I found. It was absolutely horrible!! OMG tasted like cardboard in cheese sauce. Another year I got a recipe out of a Patti Labelle cookbook and it called for heavy cream and velveeta weighed in the belly like a ton of bricks and everybody had gas LMAO! We live and learn.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote