Moving to phase 2 next week-PIZZA time!

• Ok I know many reccomend the whole wheat boboli crusts or the make your own ones but what about sauce? Does everyone make their own? Is there a pre-made one that is acceptable?

I have to tell you the turkey pepperonis with fat free mozarella melted on them have SAVED me this past week!!!!

Thanks!
  • This is the recipe I use for pizza sauce:

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    1 tablespoon ground oregano
    1/2 tsp. splenda
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    2 tsp fresh chopped basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ground paprika

In a medium bowl, Mix together tomato sauce and tomato paste until smooth. Stir in oregano, garlic, splenda, basil, and paprika.

Hope this helps and enjoy your pizza!
  • YAY thank you! Do you ever make up and store/freeze?
  • I freeze sauce sometimes. We don't use sweetener at all in ours, no one in my family did so I never developed a taste for that. There are several varieties of NSA sauce out there too. I'm sure other Chicks can suggest some brands. The only one I ever buy premade is Bove, even then I add spices
  • I don't know if there are Safeway stores in your area but some of their sauces are SBD approved.

Just read labels. Most sauces will have natural sugars - so read the ingredients and if there is no added sugar, you are good to go!
  • not the biggest fan of sauce so i put fresh slices of tomato on my pizzas. it's delicious!
  • The Kroger/Fred Meyer brand has no added sugar in the ingredients list, that's the kind that I use and it seems like it's ALWAYS on sale for $.99 a jar!! lol I've also been told that Wal-Mart brand (Great Value) has no added sugar...but my Wal-mart just barely stared carrying groceries...so I can attest to that.

I'll have to try homemade sometime....I'm sure it tastes better
  • no pizza sauce! Spread the crust with hummus, then throw on some sun-dried tomatoes, peppers, red onion, kalamata olives, feta & mozza. Bake, then top with lots of arugula and drizzle with a little red wine vinegar and EVOO. BEST. EVER.
  • I use whole wheat pitas to make my pizzas on. It's perfect size and helps w/ portion control, too. This is the recipe I use for sauce:

Quote:
    Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 cup tomato puree
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    2 teaspoons dried thyme

I brush the bottom of the pitas w/ an olive oil, basil, and garlic powder mixture.
  • FWIW - I like the WW tortillas as a crust, bobolis are way too thick for me.

Mmmm....some of these suggestions sound delish!
  • Misson Brand makes a low carb tortilla that works great as a thin crispy crust, and its super quick.
  • Just a reminder that SBD is not a low carb plan, it's good carbs. Many low carb products use ingredients that are not beach friendly so always read ingredients. true whole wheat/whole grain is better than low carb with processed starches.
  • I will never use jar sauce again! Once I made my own it just taste so much better.
    Yumm enjoy your pizza. I love the pepperoni crisps for a snack. Also with Salami which isn't as salty.