3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   What kind of cereal do you eat? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/245529-what-kind-cereal-do-you-eat.html)

mzKiki 10-20-2011 06:51 AM

What kind of cereal do you eat?

I'm reluctantly starting phase 2 today. I'd be happy to stay on phase 1 for months! But reralize that I must move on. So I'll be adding 1 fruit and 1 starch per week beginning today.
I really miss the convenience of a bowl of cereal in the morning, but the Fiber one flakes I used to consider my "healthy" cereal I now notice lists SUGAR as the 3rd ingredient. What kind of cereal do you guys eat? I'm going to the store in a couple of hours to pick up fruit some of that Ezekiel bread and hopefully cereal.
Thanks for your help!

Ruthxxx 10-20-2011 07:02 AM

I use Fiber1 regular, about 1/3 cup, and add sf/ff yogurt and fruit. I sometimes throw my 1/3 cup into a smoothie. Sometimes I have oatmeal or steel-cut oats. I have also been known to have leftover wild and brown rice or quinoa as a breakfast "cereal" or lentils. I try to think outside the "box".

cottagebythesea 10-20-2011 07:22 AM

My favorite cereal is good ol' oatmeal. I like it best soaked overnight in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and chia seeds, and in the morning I'll nuke it for 2 minutes and add some fruit to it.

I'll occasionally mix Fiber One and Kashi Go Lean together with almonds and dried fruit and have that with yogurt on hot, summer mornings. I call it my Muesli mix.

mzKiki 10-20-2011 08:14 AM

Ruth I tried a recipe for cold oatmeal and it was definitely delicious! Except I added fruit and I don't want to have my starch and fruit at the same time until I'm able to have more.
Maybe I'll check out the Kashi go lean.

fozentusic 10-20-2011 09:14 AM

Not a cold cereal fan.

I like to make some homemade granola to sprinkle on my yogurt, but if I'm eating my breakfast from a bowl it's probably steel cut oats. My favourite!

All bran buds seem like a decent option, but check the sugar content.

WaistingTime 10-20-2011 09:15 AM

Cereal is a trigger food for me, so I typically only have it when I am traveling. I usually go for Fiber 1. Sometimes I have steel cut oats; the other night I had it for dinner:)

As for convenience, I make beans in the crockpot once a week and heat them up in the microwave each morning. Very fast and easy. Leftovers make a fast breakfast too.

jenne1017 10-20-2011 09:58 AM

I am not a fan of cold cereal but sometimes it's more convenient. So I will eat Kashi Heart to Heart (usually thrown into yogurt) or Kashi Go Lean. I like that Ruth thinks OUTSIDE the BOX (:lol3:)!

breakfast for me usually involves cottage cheese or yogurt because I can bring it to work at the start of the week and have something here. Eggs are usually on the weekends unless I remember to hard boil.

mzKiki 10-20-2011 10:12 AM

Well the minute I got into the store a big display Kashi Go Lean 2 for $6 so that's what I got! I never had it before, but it is great! I also picked up something called an apple pear. I'v e never had it before but the produce man said they are delicious. It's like cheating 2 fruits in 1 lol.

BritMW 10-20-2011 12:03 PM

I also like Fiber1 Original with a chopped banana, 1 packet stevia and unsweetened soy or almond milk. YUM!

I didn't think Kashi Go Lean Original was SBD appropriate because it has evaporated cane juice in it...??? Opinions?

jenne1017 10-20-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritMW (Post 4078655)
I also like Fiber1 Original with a chopped banana, 1 packet stevia and unsweetened soy or almond milk. YUM!

I didn't think Kashi Go Lean Original was SBD appropriate because it has evaporated cane juice in it...??? Opinions?

It's a personal decision for me. It doesn't cause cravings and I go by the <5g sugar rule. If it caused cravings, I wouldn't eat it.

BritMW 10-20-2011 02:34 PM

Got it, I like that rule.

There was a another forum where I was repremanded for eating non-whole foods on SBD, including FiberOne, I think that was part of the reason that I went off plan and gained weight back - it was getting too strict and somewhat ridiculous.

I like that the people on this SBD forum are more relaxed, makes me feel like I can do it! :)

mzKiki 10-20-2011 06:16 PM

I noticed the Cane Juice in the ingredients list and had a moment of hesitation. But there is so much fiber I figured I'd give it a try.
8 hours later and I haven't had any cravings all day so I guess it's A-ok with me.
I have a house full of kids so even if I couldn't eat it it would not go to waste!

1oftheLuvs 10-21-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritMW (Post 4078860)
Got it, I like that rule.

There was a another forum where I was repremanded for eating non-whole foods on SBD, including FiberOne, I think that was part of the reason that I went off plan and gained weight back - it was getting too strict and somewhat ridiculous.

I like that the people on this SBD forum are more relaxed, makes me feel like I can do it! :)

Honestly... I think most of us on this forum do our own version of South Beach, so I don't think you'll get a lot of pushback from anyone here about doing what works for you as oppossed to doing it exactly by the book.

CyndiM 10-21-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs (Post 4079439)
Honestly... I think most of us on this forum do our own version of South Beach, so I don't think you'll get a lot of pushback from anyone here about doing what works for you as oppossed to doing it exactly by the book.

Actually those cereal guidelines are from the "official" list for Phase 2.
I can't speak for anyone else but I do actually follow Dr. A's plan pretty closely, especially when it comes to avoiding added sugars and processed grains.

ETA - and the ever important 4.5 cups of veggies every day :)

jenne1017 10-21-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyndiM (Post 4079529)
Actually those cereal guidelines are from the "official" list for Phase 2.

Look at me being a rule follower and not even knowing it! Both the cereals follow the guideline. I knew I got it from SOMEWHERE.

Working my way back to 4.5C Cyndi!