South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/180/159

Height: 5'4"

Default Hi! New Beacher With PCOS

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old, from Dubai. I've battled with my weight pretty much my entire life, I remember my mom putting me on diets in the 7th grade. My weight has pretty much yo-yoed forever as well.

I'm an emotional eater and went through some emotional stuff over the past few years. The weight just piled on. The breaking point for me was when my grandmother passed away in December, from cancer. I decided it was time to be healthy because, God forbid, if anything like that ever happened to me, I want to be in the best shape I can be to fight it.

I started working out in January, but the weight just wasn't coming off. By August, I'd lost 8 pounds. However, my muscle mass was exactly where it should be for my height and bone density, and I felt great. So I know the exercise was working.

I did some research. I've never had any problems losing weight, but this time it really wasn't budging. A few years ago, I lost three dress sizes doing just pilates twice a week, with no changes at all to my diet. I put it down to the fact that I'm no longer as young as I was before.

However, I did a lot of research and I think that it's due to my PCOS. I'm on the pill (yasmin) and I was briefly on Diane 35 last year when I put on a lot more weight. My skin started breaking out and my hair was falling out a lot.

I think what may have happened is that after my grandmother died, I put on a LOT of weight. Which may have caused the PCOS to become even worse.

Anyway, my insurance won't cover anything to do with 'women's health and hormones', and the tests run upwards of $1000 over here. I've had my fasting blood sugar levels tested and those came back fine. I think I might be insulin resistant as I do have dark patches on my body. So I can't have the tests done just yet. (I've been diagnosed with PCOS for a few years now, and my last ultra sound in April showed several cysts, but I was told that was normal)

I decided to do the South Beach Diet because I finally came to grips with the fact that my body doesn't process carbs like it should. And it has helped me understand my binges. I can't have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and chips when I'm hungry, because I won't be able to stop there. Actually, I decided to start it, and the next day I found the book at a book sale, right on top of the pile, for less than 2dollars! I took it as a sign

Today is my first day on the SBD and I did OK! Yesterday was supposed to be my first day, but I had a whole wheat muffin (that I baked a few days ago) and it just set me off

I am also working out 5-6 days a week, with at least 4 days of 30 minutes HIIT and two days of strength training. My body analysis shows that I need to lose 16% of my body fat, which is about 30 pounds. I really wanna achieve this by March, because I have a trip planned for my birthday.

Anyway, that's my story. I'm sorry this was long, I guess I have a lot I wanted to share! I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been doing a lot of research on PCOS and insulin resistance and I think I'm finally starting to understand that my body just doesn't work a certain way and it sucks, but I need to just work with it as much as possible

PS. Sorry about my name! It's the name of my blog, and I couldn't figure out another name. hahah I'm not too creative!
skinnyinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

SBD is really great and it seems like you've got the exercise down. Don't be surprised if you seem a bit out of energy the first few days (some feel like they have flu-like symptoms even) so exercise might not come as easy.

Please be sure to check out the FAQ section (lots of great stuff in there) as well as the recipe section. Ph1 will fly by!!!

Be sure to also check back here often!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #3  

Hi Jenne!

Thanks for responding to my super-long post haha I've been reading up on the FAQ. I just finished the whole book last night and I'm ready to go I weighed myself this morning and I'm down a pound already! I know it's just due to the detox, but it's very motivating.

I hope I don't get the flu-like symptoms. I've been battling them already for about a week. I should probably start taking some vitamin c because I am not a nice person when I feel sick!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 90.6/70.6/55

Height: 165

Hi skinnyinthedesert,

I'm new to SBD as well, so good to know there is someone on here in a similar situation, just starting out on Phase 1. I'm currently on Day 7 and although there have a been few moments where I've eaten things that might have had added sugar/wheat in them when eating out (steak sauces, salad dressings) its been much easier than I thought to follow.

I hope we can both meet our goals on SBD =)
messycrayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #6  

Thanks Lexxiss!

Messycrayola, how did you feel on the first 7 days? I'm on my second day now and I've got a bit of a headache and a slightly runny nose. I'm assuming they're just detox symptoms, though.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 90.6/70.6/55

Height: 165

I felt unbelievably great the first 3-4 days, alright on the 5th, and then really fatigued on the 6th and 7th days.

The fatigue might have been due to lack of sleep catching up on me (I'm a grad student and not a very conscientious one, so I tend to do a lot of my work last minute and late at night). Or, it could be because I started drinking Diet Coke on these days - maybe the artificial sweetener caused a blood sugar spike? Maybe something to keep an eye on? =)

Last edited by messycrayola; 10-11-2011 at 08:45 AM.
messycrayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #8  

You know, it's funny that you mention diet coke. Today I was really craving an ice cold diet coke! Weird But I'll definitely look out for any fatigue. I'm on day 3 today. Doing OK I think! I just have to focus on being healthy and not making any impulsive decisions because I will regret them! I keep reminding myself 'you're already on day 3!!' cuz i don't wanna have to restart!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

skinnyinthedesert and messycrayola,

Now that you've both started perhaps you'd consider joining our daily/weekly threads.

Our Daily Chat includes anything and everything. It's a way for us to all get to know each other and keep up with our "current events." Personal responses to each person aren't required-just let other beachers know what's happening in your world.

Our On Plan Thread is great for questions, SBD comments and posting menus.

CyndiM has started a Weekly Challenge which is a great spot to challenge yourself short term.

Feel free to join the October Weight Loss or Exercise sticky..it's fine, even mid-month.

Come on over!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 10-10-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #10  

Thanks! I will definitely check all of those out!!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

, skinnyinthedesert and skinnycrayola!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: maintaining

WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome to SB!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #14  

Hi Cottagebythesea, Waistingtime and Murphmitch!! Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #15  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Welcome! Sounds like you just told my story! :-) You are not alone, glad you are here.
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote