South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #1  

Default What's in your smoothie?

I'm addicted to making these smoothies or green monsters etc for breakfast and sometimes lunch to! I love them - and I have my 18 year old son loving them to! Looking on the OP thread a lot of you make some yummy looking ones as well. I wonder if everyone would be willing to share their own recipe or two (or just ingredients will do) ... Im sure we would all love the variety ?

My fav at the moment is a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a few fresh berries, a dash of Torinis SF vanilla, and two big handfuls of spinach with some ice in the blender. I've tried it without the spinach but I love the texture and extra flavor it gives.
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

I'm so creeped out by mixing up spinach amd veggies with sweet stuff but your recipe I may actually try once I'm on phase 2!!!
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/120/112

Height: 5 Feet

By the way which protein powder are you using?
jerseygiiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #4  

I used to be as well! Another great find since starting SB has been a bit of organic peanut butter and 1/2 an apple for dessert. I love pb in a satay sauce and apples are good but if you told me two months ago id be eating them together I would say you were crazy. Its soo good though. I hope you do try the smoothie with the veg when you get to P2!

For the protein powder, I just picked up one in Walmart, it was a Jillian Michaels. I didnt know which one to get and the only reason i picked this one was that it had no wheat products where as the others had a warning that it may contain it... and i have problems with wheat. I'm sure others here have better recommendations on the protein powder though!

Let us know when you do try it!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I make mine up depending on mood and what's in the house (and at the farm stand!). I really like small zucchini and chard mixed in. Neither adds noticeable flavor, just nutrients and fiber. I do think the zucchini make it creamier though Might be my imagination. I like cheesecake smoothies with berries or pumpkin - cottage or ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, good vanilla and fruits and veggies. I also just like to throw thing in and experiment. If I use Greek yogurt and/or cottage or ricotta cheese I don't use protein powder, there's already plenty of protein. If I don't I like hemp protein powders. I experimented with small packets of several varieties (my Co-op even had sample packets of some varieties) before finding the ones I liked. I always add chia too, it keeps me full longer. I know Zeffryn has some actual recipes so hopefully she will chime in
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

My guidelines for my green monster are pretty similar to Cyndi's. I don't use protein powder, though. I always add either the ricotta or cottage cheese for protein, and make mine with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I like to throw a piece of dried ginger in it, too.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I use a VitaMix so I'm able to pitch in just about anything I can find in my veggie bin. I always start with a small chunk of ginger root and cucumber. I then add whatever fruit I have on hand, which usually includes my own frozen raspberries. Next I move to greens; spinach, kale, zucchini...whatever is on hand.

I have a protein powder/green powder combo that I started a year before I started SBD. It REALLY works for me, so it I continue to add it in and call it my every day breakfast. It's a combination of 2 products, "Supreme Meal", by Peaceful Planet and "Green Vibrance" by Vibrant Health)Green Vibrance. Taken along with my vitamins, this smoothie carries me through to lunch, and that's without a snack break. BTW-the Supreme Meal is vegan Supreme Meal. I stay away from soy proteins since it's every day for me and I try not to load up on the soy.

My protein/green powder is about 140 calories so I don't usually add yogurt or any of the various milks. I enjoy it just as it is...plus I don't ever have to decide what to have for breakfast.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 09-22-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I love the regular one: chia, spinach, banana, PB and almond milk. Also like to omit the banana _ PB (since I don't care for the banana anyway) and add greek yogurt and berries (usually frozen).
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Mmmm...I'm having one right now! Mine is yogurt, froz. blueberries, banana, stevia, and kale. Then I add a 1/4 c. homemade granola on top, which seems to do a much better job at holding me over. Yum!

I do want to try either the zucchini or cucumber added sometime...
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

For me, the mandatory ingredients are ff yogurt, frozen banana, ns almond milk and spinach. Frequent guest stars include
Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder (serious goodness)
sugar free pb/almond butter
zuchini
apple sauce
healthy dose of cinnamon
tofu
espresso powder
peppermint extract
frozen berries/strawberries/mango
chia seeds

Seriously in love with my morning smoothie. My great-nephew (2yo) is staying with me for a few days and he is hooked on "milk shakes" now
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote