South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Extra Skin?

To those of you who have lost over 50 lbs....do you have excess, hangy, saggy skin? I have around 60 lbs to lose, and I have to admit, I'm scared that I'm going to be all saggy. Tummy, arms, knees ( I know...lol), etc. I always picture the biggest loser people with their hangy bat-wing arms and such. I know they've exercised a TON...so I'm thinking....exercise doesn't get rid of the extra. Of course, most of them have lost more than I have to lose.

Anyway....I know it's kind of a personal question, but I'm just really curious what I might be looking forward to
jyoyo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #2  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

It really depends on you, something good to look at is if your parents have tight skin still or a little looser, that will show you what type of skin runs in your family. It all depends how long you were at the 214 pound weight also, the shorter amount of time you were at a bigger weight the better for skin recovery.

I'm 5'7 my highest weight was 235 when I was 17, by 19 I weighed 135-145 lbs and I did have loose skin, on the bottom of my arms, my legs didnt look like extra skin but very cellulite-y because they were droopier than they should be, and at my highest weight I had got 3 small stretch marks above my belly button, so when I lost the weight I have a bump above my belly button (kind of looks like a small roll up there) no matter what size I am, which I absoloutely HATE. Otherwise my stomach doesn't really look hangy or loose. My mom, and family does have loose skin, and I was overweight since 7 years old to 17. I kept the weight off for 8 years (until 2009) and it didnt change, it's a little easier to hide the smaller I was, but then I would look unhealthy.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

Depends on your age, how quickly you lose the weight, what kind of skin runs in your family, and whether you help your skin along by either moisturizing or rubbing oils on your skin like jojoba oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil. The slower you lose, the better for your skin, as it gives it time to 'snap' back to where it should be. If you moisturize daily, either with a moisturizer with caffeine in it, or oils,it will help support skin elasticity. Oils are probably better. Age and genetics, you can't do anything about. If you're in your 20's, you're a lot better off than someone in their 30's or 40's.

Best of luck to you!
devnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

There is lots of information and discussion about this topic in the Maintainers Forum at the Weight Loss and Skin FAQ

The bottom line is no one knows until a good year after reaching goal just what their skin will look like. Mine has gotten better but I definitely have some skin. I still look and feel 1000 times better than I did obese though, so it was worth the trade off to me.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks ladies....and thanks for the link Cyndi...I never think to go look at the other forums...lol
jyoyo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I've lost over 100 lbs. and yes, I have excess skin. Exercise takes care of the fat underneath it and makes the muscles underneath more toned so my body does look better. I have noticed that with time, my skin is getting tighter and less noticeable. I should mention that I've had two children as well, so some degree of stretching would have been inevitable. Nursing did a number on my breast tissue as well. but really, that isn't anything a good bra can't fix for the time being.

Regardless of any excess skin that I have, I'm immensely more happy with my body now than I was 100 lbs. ago. I look fabulous in clothes, and according to my husband, pretty darn fabulous without clothes too. I'm healthy and that, to me, means a great deal more than what I look like. Looking great is just a big perk
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/276/135

Height: 5'6

I lost a lot of weight on South Beach before, and I didn't have any problem with extra skin. I did moisturise every day, and my personal trainer had me do a LOT of arm exercises - with free weights and also by pumping my arms hard when on the elliptical - because that apparently helps in avoiding the "bat wing effect".
beachmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote