South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Default South Beach Diet Prepared Boxed Food...

Ok so yesterday while on a day trip to Key West my husband and I decided to go to the movies. Of course it ended up being @4 and so I was going to be starving half way through! So we went to Publix to buy a tiny bar of dark chocolate and some nuts. This way instead of giving into the popcorn and candy we could just eat that. We were deciding what kind of nuts we wanted when my husband pointed out Planters South Beach Diet recommended nuts.

I had never seen them so out of curiousity today I looked up on amazon South Beach Diet in grocery and apparantely there are a binch of things like fiber bars and what not. Has anyone had any experience with any of these?

I am usually not to into the boxed stuff but sometimes it would be a lifesaver to have something non refridgerated and already packed..
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

This topic has been discussed several times throughout the years in our forum, and most of us feel that Dr. Agaston has sold out to Kraft Foods. The whole concept of SBD is to get away from processed foods and use whole foods, instead. The meal replacement bars may be good in a pinch, but you'll most likely find yourself hungry again and craving something sweet soon after eating them.

I have been noticing the SBD-approved advertising on several products that are fine to use, such as the nuts you mentioned, mayonnaise, and some cheeses. I think it's just Kraft Foods way of advertising their products and letting you know they are SBD friendly.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/264/160

Height: 5'5"

I have tried the bars before I ever did SB, but now I can't find them anywhere. I did see the nuts though. But, I think any nut as long as it doesn't have sugar on it is acceptable in the right amount, right?
Jenmichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

I am pretty sure they stopped selling the protein bars under the South Beach Diet logo but lo and behold I noticed Snackwell just launched a new protein bar and it looks just like the old South Beach Diet bars. I bought some and I think they are the same thing. I actually really like them so I am very pleased. Unfortunately they are not selling the Maple Nut flavor.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

If I was going to eat a bar in a pinch, I'd eat a Kind or a Lara bar, or in a real pinch, an Atkins bar, which - yes - is full of processed ingredients but very high in fiber and protein.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

I sometimes use bars when I travel and look for the best combination of protein, fiber, and least sugar/carbs. But they tend to set of cravings for me so I don't keep them around home. You can just buy regular nuts and put them into pre-portioned bags; I do this for "emergencies" and keep one ounce of almonds in the bottom of my purse
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

I usually do buy regular nuts and bag them but in this situation these were soooo much easier as I was not at home and needed something in a pinch to avoid popcorn and candy. I have to agree with everyone that the processed crap in these bars will most definitely outweigh the advantages of them. I think that I somewhat knew this when I posted the thread but as I have NEVER been the person to buy fiber bars or anything of the like I thought just maybe I was missing something. I still haven't figured out after looking at the ingredients in these bars how they are SBD friendly....
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

You made the best choice in a restrictive situation and now you can move on. You did a good job and I'm sure this will give you ideas about how to navigate "next time". For instance today I was going to be out for a bit and found myself having a snack of avocado, cheese and nuts, which felt absolutely decadent, but was on plan, and what I was able to do in the situation.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote