South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #1  
A chocoholic on a diet!

S/C/G: 124/119/80 Kilograms

Height: 5' 7"

Default Disappointed :(

I have now been officially on the diet for a whole week.
I haven't lost anything which is odd because I went off all bread/rice/potatoes/sweets/candy... I do not eat too much cheese. I do have one or two Laughing Cow wedges a day (light) as a snack.
I did cheat on Saturday night when I had two pitta breads but it was a once a year special occassion.

I also got my period yesterday and I wasn't hungry (happens when I get AF) so I only had a salad (tomato and cucumber but even then I didn't quite finish it, it was one tomato and one cucumber) and then I snacked on peanuts (the regular kind). Ok I know I ate too many of them but I was in a lot of pain because of AF and feeling crummy so I allowed myself some comfort food. These were the only times I cheated in a week.

I my scale shows the same as a week ago I don't get it. Even if I weren't on a diet, surely going off sweets would have helped me lose something? I used to eat sweets every day, some days I would have two or three chocolate bars for instance...

I keep thinking "what can I cut out" and I can't think of anything. I only have lean meat and green salad, nothing on the "avoid" list, and I do not eat too much cheese.
Here is a typical menu for me:

B: Hard boiled egg, a laughing cow wedge (light) and a glass of V8
S: A laughing cow wedge inside a turkey slice
L: Skinless chicken breast (grilled) with lettuce and cucumber and maybe some low fat grated cheese and a hard boiled egg sometimes. A little olive oil.
S: Half a cup (150 grms) 2% plain yogurt sometimes with sweetener.
D: A chicken breast with lettuce salad.

I also have ONE decaffeinated coffee a day with a little skim milk.
Except the two times I cheated (on Sat and yesterday with the nuts) I haven't cheated at all. Also any salt I use is non-sodium. And the day I had the two pitta breads, they were combined with lean mean skewers and tomato slices.
Everything I eat is low fat the portions are VERY small. I have my breakfast in a coffee saucer. Do I need to eat less?

I do feel better or at least I felt better until a couple days ago but I blame that on my period.
I wish I could exercise more but as the mom of special needs twins and SO overweight I can't do much. I walk every day with the dog (briskly) and I am on my feet all day but I don't have time to go to a gym or anything. I have no one to look after the boys.

What am I doing wrong?
Chocoholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I also got my period yesterday
There is a very good chance that the only thing you're doing "wrong" is being female. TOM = water retention for a LOT of people.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #3  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
There is a very good chance that the only thing you're doing "wrong" is being female. TOM = water retention for a LOT of people.
Totally agree! Keep sticking with it, my bet is you'll see a huge loss any day now!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I agree, you're probably having water retention issues due to TOM. Most folks don't find the scale to be very reliable during that time.

You ask, "What am I doing wrong?" Probably nothing.

You ask, "Do I need to eat less?" Probably not.

I'd suggest that you remain committed and stick with the guidelines for your phase of SBD.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

I agree with all too, but am confused because your stats say you have lost 4 kilos which is 8.8 lbs. Have you just not lost in the last week, but lost that weight when you started SB? If you lost 8.8 lbs. in a week or two weeks, and have just not lost anything in the last week, your body is catching up with your weight loss.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Something else to consider, looking at your stats, is that perhaps your body has reached it's set point, which is going to make it harder for you lose any more weight. At your height and present weight, it may not be healthy to lose much more weight.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
Something else to consider, looking at your stats, is that perhaps your body has reached it's set point, which is going to make it harder for you lose any more weight. At your height and present weight, it may not be healthy to lose much more weight.
I suspect this is the issue that came up last time the OP posted - I'm pretty sure the weight is listed in kg, so multiply it by 2.2 to get lbs.

I remember another conversation about vegetables (allergies, etc) but I do wonder if the lack of real vegetables is contributing to the slow loss? Not much fiber there.

Last edited by CyndiM; 06-14-2011 at 07:02 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #8  

Personally I think the calories are a little too low, and I'm not seeing the good fats. You really need the two fat servings each day otherwise your body will go into starvation mode.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Although I agree with all the ladies you need more veggies and poss. fats, I can't emphasize my agreement enough with TOM!! This is why initially I would weigh myself daily. By day 3-4 of TOM, WHOMP...there it went!

Keep with it, you won't be disappointed!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Not only do I gain at TOM, but I usually start gaining about two weeks before every month. So my scale is accurate for about two weeks, but then the pounds start to creep on.

It's not anything I'm doing, it's just nature. I just wait until the bloat wears off (usually about five days into my period), and I go back to the weight, if not less, that I was before the PMS creeped on.
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #11  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I agree with everyone else - keep plugging along and the loss will come. I blame TOM. Drink lots and lots and lots of water. That will help with cramps and with dropping the weight.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I completely agree about the TOM. I'm up 8 lbs. since last Friday because of TOM. It's a B****.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #13  
A chocoholic on a diet!

S/C/G: 124/119/80 Kilograms

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks ladies!!
Yes my weight is in kilos I live in Europe.

I use olive oil in everything I cook or eat (which is SO easy since I am in Greece ha ).
THe 8.8lbs I lost was in the last month total (I hadn't started the SB diet.. I am now in day 10 of P1) in the last 7 days I have lost only a few ounces (not even a whole lbs).

So more veggies you think and a little more fat? Hmmmmm.... I am about to make humus, I make it the traditional Lebanese way so I always add olive oil

Thank you SO much ... I've been feeling crummy and I am in a lot of pain thanks for lifting me up and sorry if I whine.

BTW my friend told me today (she was walking behind me) that I have DEFINITELY lost weight, she can tell..and I *think* I can kind of see it on my face... my double chin is smaller (don't laugh please )
Hugs
Tina
Chocoholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #14  

Yes, with TOM I inevitably gain AND I also think that my body doesn't really let go of that water weight, and any fat that I may have lost, for a week after TOM ends.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #15  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

For myself, after TOM has passed, I don't get a significant drop to "make up for it" so to speak. It just is a plateau, then the normal slow-and-steady chipping away resumes.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote