South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #1  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Question Consumer Reports ranks top seven diets

I was disappointed to read this article yesterday only to find that South Beach didn't make the top seven choices. What's up with that? I just can't believe that some of these are believed to be better health wise than South Beach.

Consumer Reports recently tackled the age-old question — which ones really work? — in their latest diet ratings, the first update since 2007.

No. 1: Jenny Craig Diet
No. 2: Slim-Fast Plan Diet
No. 3: Weight Watchers Diet
No. 4: Zone Diet
No. 5: Ornish Diet
No. 6: Atkins Diet
No. 7: NutriSystem Diet
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I have to assume that this is going by information that is easily monitored by these companies. They all have websites, sales information for products, and other ways to monitor such criteria.

True followers of SB tend to stay away from processed foods meaning that the processed SB products have a lower rate of sale than Slim Fast, NutriSystem, and etc.

The question I feel Consumer Reports answered wasn't "What is the best program for your body", it was "Which mega-company has better marketing and sales data which skews the idea of 'success'". If you were to rate them all by which was the healthiest way to lose weight, I'm sure SB would be in the top and most of these others wouldn't even make the list!!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

I think that most of these made the cut because of their pre-made meals. I don't know much about them, but I assume it's something like "We take the thinking out of dieting. Buy our meals, snacks, shakes, etc and watch the pounds come off." So then when left up to your own devices, you likely fail. South beach is about understanding what you put in your body and how you react to to and adjusting accordingly. I would think there would be much more success when you have that knowledge and control.
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/159.6/139

Height: 5'6"

No way is SlimFast number 2! Seriously?! It's all sugar with some vitamins added. I wonder what they are basing this off of--kickbacks?
NicoleInCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

Yeah I saw this on the Today Show and was baffled so I looked into it. Its really the top 10 diets that offer pre-made meals.
South Beach is recommended by doctors (my sisters') and nutritionists (my other sisters') alike.
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #6  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

It really wasn't about "what is the healthiest way to lose weight".

it was more "what diet is the easiest to follow with the most stick-to-it-iveness that will drop the pounds regardless of how healthy it is for me"
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #7  
rukiddingme

S/C/G: 340/304/180

Height: 5'7"

I wouldn't put much stock in this report. I was watching my local news this weekend and they were talking about this study. I guess the people who were on the Jenny Craig program were given the all the food for free. This was also a two year study and the average weight loss was 16 pounds, not a lot for a two year period.

I say whatever works for you is the right plan to follow.

Last edited by rukiddingme; 05-17-2011 at 04:57 AM.
rukiddingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Lame.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #9  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

Here is an article on how invalid this study is

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...them/?src=tptw

Quote:
The magazine said Jenny Craig had “the edge over the other big names” on the basis of a two-year study published last year in The Journal of the American Medical Association. In that study, 92 percent of 442 overweight and obese women stuck with the program for two years, which Consumer Reports called a “remarkable level of adherence.” They lost an average of about 16 pounds.
16lbs.. in 2 years.. wow.. I'm stunned at how great this "diet" is.
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #10  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Slim Fast? Are you kidding me?
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 170SW/168CW/149GW

Height: 5'7"

The news report that I heard about the top diets reported the findings and followed with the comment "Jenny Craig was a sponsor in the study"-so that helps to explain the results too.
goingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Lists like that should always be taken with a grain of salt. A very tiny grain of salt.

At least three of those plans REQUIRE that you use only their products for at least two out of three meals a day. Certainly not an option for everyone, not to mention the expense.

I guess it's nice that the people were able to stick with it, regardless of the pounds dropped on average it's nice to be able to continue forward with a plan that works for you.

I'm always leery of those "lists" of top anything, and after reading how Consumer Reports conducted the study I've mentally discarded the list in its entirety.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: 5'8"

I have tried Jenny Craig and could not stick to it. You get so bored of the food. It is also full of salt. South Beach is the best diet I have tried!
pinkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #14  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Most people don't have the willpower to make it through P1 so I'm not surprised that SBD didn't make it on the list. Oh well. Their loss.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KicknKnit View Post
Here is an article on how invalid this study is

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...them/?src=tptw

16lbs.. in 2 years.. wow.. I'm stunned at how great this "diet" is.
There was a 94% "adherence" because they were getting the food for free! No kidding? People will continue to accept free food? Amazing!

I call it "adherence" because quite obviously most were NOT following the program if they only lost 16 lbs on average over two years.

Conumser Reports blows it again. Seriously pathetic.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote