3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   SBD Weekend Chat for 5/7-5/8 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/232693-sbd-weekend-chat-5-7-5-8-a.html)

cottagebythesea 05-07-2011 06:28 AM

SBD Weekend Chat for 5/7-5/8

Happy Saturday, Chickies!

The sun has just popped out after a night of thunderstorms, and it's looking to be a beautiful day. I bought a slew of annuals yesterday, and plan to spend the day planting and making up some pretty arrangements in my pots and hanging baskets. I bought some veggie seedlings, but everyone is warning me to hold off planting them for at least another week, so they'll be languishing on the sunporch.

How's everyone's day shaping up?

Ruthxxx 05-07-2011 06:41 AM

Good morning and :coffee:

Cottage, look after those pepper and tomato plants. They are pretty delicate. Around here they can't go in until the end of May and peppers not until June. I'm US Zone 4.

The sun is trying to shine but it's still rather chilly. I am waiting for those lovely mornings when I can sit and sip out on the deck, watch the sunrise and enjoy the loon commute between the lakes. It may happen next week but today is rather chilly.

Jazz finally gets a furcut this morning. Right now you can't see his eyes - just white teeth and a pink tongue if he opens his mouth. I'll drop him off on my way to the plant sale.

I am working cash and it'll be wild. :crazy: We open the doors at 9 but folks are lined up by 8:30. It's pretty wild when the doors open. It reminds me of Filene's Basement. :lol: Things will go flying out and there is usually some grabbing going on but the frenzy lasts only until 9:30. We are usually sold out by 10:30 and cleaned up and outta there by 11.

My afternoon is all mine - so far. I may get some gardening done for a change.

Happy weekend! :cofdate:

ILRPinkGirl 05-07-2011 06:56 AM

Morning ladies :) Hope y'all enjoy the gardening, sounds like that's what you'll both be doing this afternoon!

I'm getting my car worked on this morning (I'm so unaware of general car maintenance, I'm sure it's desperately in need of an oil change and tire rotation). And the rest of the day is reserved for a workout, reading, relaxing, whatever! But tomorrow morning is my 5K, here's hoping I survive!

Also, yesterday I heard from Cornell University (where I'm headed in the fall for my Master's program) and have been offered a good-sized scholarship to be a research assistant there, so I'm still doing the happy dance from that, lol!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

CyndiM 05-07-2011 06:59 AM

Good morning :coffee2: DW is waiting for me to get done so we can do a little morning birding before I get my snow tires off :o

Cottage - We have morning sun but afternoon rain. Happy basket filling :)

Ruth - I would love to be at your plant sale this morning. The one around here isn't until Memorial Day and I have bare spots that can't wait. Those nasty invasives will fill back in if I don't get something in there. Too bad it's such a long drive! Enjoy your gardening afternoon.

DW is okay. The eye doctor says it's just something that can happen to diabetics and hopefully it will pass quickly. For now she has prism film on one lens and an eye patch when we drive. Let the pirate jokes begin.

We finally cooked out last night and it was wonderful. I'm hoping that a 30% chance of rain will turn into nothing at all and I can do it again today. Tomorrow we are off to Plum Island.

Happy weekend friends!

ETA - WOW, ILRPinkGirl that's great news. Congratulations!

cottagebythesea 05-07-2011 07:18 AM

Congratulations! ILRPinkGirl! That's quite impressive, getting into Cornell, and a nice grant to boot! Take good care of your car - Jake and I are diligent about getting our oil changed every 3000 miles. ;)

Cyndi, I'm relieved that Julie's eye problems aren't anything to worry about, whew! Have a fun day birding!

Ruth, a morning at the plant sale sounds like a great way to start off the day! I'd love to join you, although I spent a small fortune at two of my favorite nurseries yesterday.

I can't resist this gorgeous morning, so I'm heading outside with my coffee.
See you all later!

TwynnB 05-07-2011 07:19 AM

Good morning chicks!

Cottage- yep, I'm not planting for a couple weeks either :(. DH did till the garden last night, so I can finally plant my greens!!

Ruth - have fun this am, sounds a bit ca-razy!!

ILRPinkGirl - congratulations!! I went to Cornell last fall for a CE conference, it was beautiful!! What a nice area!

Cyndi - congrats on your bill passing, and hope you have a relaxing weekend! Arrrr Matey!

I'm enjoying a cup of coffee before I go meet a friend for breakfast :D, I am quite excited! The huge book sale is this weekend, so we'll go there today or tomorrow, and friends over for a barbeque tonight. Looks like it'll be a great weekend off!!
Enjoy!

WaistingTime 05-07-2011 07:24 AM

Morning. Yawn.

Linda - We had thunderstorms last night too! Woke me up. I wish I liked to garden.

Ruth - Oh, Filene's basement flashback to when I grew up outside Boston and used to go there!

ILRPink - What do you wish someone doing a 5K? Not "break a leg," I'm sure. Good luck! Kudos on Cornell and the scholarship. What are you studying?

Cyndi - Glad to here DW is okay. I didn't realize she has diabetes. Have a great day.

Twynn - Sounds like you have lots of fun planned for the weekend. Enjoy.

I'm doing another blog maintenance update this morning which means sitting at my computer with my fingers crossed. DS has his last basketball game today. Then maybe I'll get motivated and drag DH to look at appliances. We sold our jet ski and he suggested we use the money to buy stainless. If we do, I'd love to have them before our grad party but not sure we could get it all done by then. I hate shopping for major stuff and making decisions that will last for years:(

Mmckellen 05-07-2011 08:02 AM

Hey all,
ILRGirl, that is great news and so exciting! A real brand new start for the Fall.

I'm not sure what kind of day we are having here, weather wise. I thought it was to be sunny, but now the weather report is saying showers with occasional clouds. In any case we are celebrating Mother's Day today and were supposed to go to a Derby Day party, but the host cancelled due to illness. Instead I decided we will go to the High Line park (never been there!) in the city and then to my second favorite restaurant (after the Cheesecake Factory), California Pizza Kitchen.

I'm making Chia pudding as we speak. If this works out and I like it, it will be my new go to breakfast. Hope everyone has a great day today!

sophie 05-07-2011 09:22 AM

good morning,

nice sunny day here too. Woke up to slamming car doors, the neighbours next door are having a garage sale.

Ruth, Cottage, enjoy your day playing in the garden.

Mmc - enjoy mother's day.

Cyndi - Plum Island sounds so nice, one of these days I will visit it.

Twynn - your weekend sounds great

Karen - Its so hard to buy appliances these days, too many choices and when I was buying a new dishwasher (Kitchenaid) the last one lasted 30 years, the saleman told me not expect this one to last that long.

me - going to transplant some ajuga this morning, lots of cooking plans for this weekend but I'm not doing the DISHES.
take care
Sophie

ILRGirl - Cornell, how wonderful. Something to look forward to.

Lexxiss 05-07-2011 11:06 AM

Good Morning:sunny:

Linda, thanks for getting us started this weekend. Yay for gardening possibilities! I love this time of year...enjoy!

Ruth, I love those frantic plant sales! I know you'll do well-we had a great one in Alaska.

Cyndi, Happy weekend! Even though you have the answer, I hope Julie's eyes get better very soon. I'm wondering if she appreciates the pirate jokes….

Ashley, congrats on your scholarship/assistant position! Best wishes for your 5K, too!

Tammy, yay for weekends off!!!! Have fun!

Karen, if I had the opportunity, I'd find the right appliances and have them delivered ASAP. Once I decide, I want it done. :goodluck: with the blog maintenance.

Matilda, have a fun Mothers Day!

sophie, I will have to look up ajuga. Hope you have a good weekend.

I had an estactic experience at Whole Foods yesterday. I drove down early and it was already warm. They had all kinds of flowers and vegetable plants outside. The produce section was filled with tomato plants. The seafood section had fresh Alaskan salmon and halibut. I sang my way through the store...perhaps I struggle with winter more than I'll admit.

Today, more of the same projects and time outside. I have a new and supposedly squirrel proof bird feeder I'll hang and possibly put out a hummingbird feeder...might as well if we're going to be here.

Have a great day everyone!

Shelbelle2010 05-07-2011 11:27 AM

Good Morning Ladies:

Gardening and plant sales sound like such fun. Pink Girl congrats on Cornell. I am from upstate NY and it is beautiful.

My day and this entire weekend is the culmination of months of planning. I am an Event Planner that specializes in weddings with a sub specialty in ethnic weddings and events. :dizzy: I have a breakfast for 400, a henna ceremony for 500 that we will turn my facility into an Indian street fair with food carts and all, and a Muslim wedding for 650 at another facility tomorrow. I can't believe this weekend is finally here.

I, am unbelieveably calm.

As I see it, as long as I don't burn the hotel down which would be a major bummer,

if I don't drink ( I am a recovered alcoholic of 1.5 yrs)

or smoke a cig (quit smoking when I quit drinkin :carrot:) than it will be a

GOOD day NO MATTER WHAT!

I have a cooler full of Phase 1 food- day 6- raw veggies w/ hummus, spinach salad w/ grilled chicken and raw almonds. Chuggin lots of water should get me through the 14 hr day that is ahead. ;) I feel great and I am starting to feel real hope that I may just have found the answer to my weight. ;)

I hope you all enjoy your day. To us Mom's and Mommy figures. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY - THEY COULDN'T DO IT WITHOUT US!

Be well! Shelby:hug:

ultimatebea 05-07-2011 01:20 PM

Shelby - you are AWESOME!!
ILRGirl - congratulations!!
Debbie - I got my first hummers this past week - they are beautiful.
Linda - I must have been dead asleep to have missed the thunderstorms!

I got my kids up at 7 this morning for a celebration breakfast for their's cousin's first communion. We got home about 11:30, and then my mother bet me (over the phone) that I could not just sit around doing nothing for 45 minutes.
Boy - did I show her! (Sad, eh?) I sat outside in the sun and read a book for an hour and a half. Then made lunch for the kids, and am now contemplating sitting in the sun AGAIN.

Might tip the world's axis, my mother says. Ha.

Be well, all!

Lexxiss 05-07-2011 07:50 PM

Shelby, Wow! I look forward to a followup regarding all your events. I like catering and event planning but have never done it professionally.

bea, funny about your mom betting you...Yay! for sitting in the sun and reading a book.

Well, I had a bit of an off day...kinda procrastinated, kinda tired and feeling a little off kilter at the thought of spending my summer here. I ate too much bread for lunch but haven't gone wild with anything else. For all of you who are or have great moms, Yay. It's not my favorite day...no kids and a mom who doesn't like me much. I keep trying to work on myself.

ultimatebea 05-07-2011 08:53 PM

Update -

After sitting in the sun just to prove Mom wrong, I felt the need to do my training session today for the (hopefully) half marathon.

6 miles!!! That is farther than I have ever gone - I have been adding a half mile each week, but everything after 4 miles has been uncharted territory for me. The first 2 miles were hilly, so that really kicked my butt. I walked part of the last half mile, and it was not what one would call fast, but I did it.

For those of you runners on here - any suggestions for training? Foods? Positive experiences to share? I can use all the help I can get!

Be well -

TallandThin 05-07-2011 10:36 PM

Howdy everyone, just stopping by to check in. We spent the morning watching our GS3 play baseball. The sun was out but we had a wind which made it just too cool so wrapped up in jackets and blankets. Some day soon summer will come knocking.

Then stopped at Sizzler on the way home and I had a one serving salad bar (vinegarette dressing), 6 oz steak and mashed sweet potato without butter. Ate half of everything and brought the rest home. Then had the other half of the salad for dinner. DH will have the rest of my steak with his breakfast.

We have a nasty weed taking over our pond so DH, with a little tiny bit of help from me, worked on trying to get some of it out this afternoon. Afterward, he used some poison that is guaranteed to kill only the weed and not harm the fish nor any livestock drinking the water. Hopefully it will work.

Hope you all are having a great weekend and will be able to enjoy Mother's Day tomorrow. Later.