3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Chia Goodness (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/232490-chia-goodness.html)

zeffryn 05-04-2011 12:29 PM

Chia Goodness

I picked some of this up at our local co-op today. It looks pretty tasty and will make for a quick, phase 2 breakfast. What do ya'll think?

Ingredients:
chia, buckwheat, hulled hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, currants, celtic sea salt

You just mix two tablespoons with 1/4 c. of water or milk of choice and let sit for 5 minutes.

I'm really excited to try it.

veggie103 05-04-2011 01:11 PM

i love chia seeds- chia soaked in almond milk with stevia and some fruit on top? yum! (speaking of, i'll have to remember that for my phase 2 breakfasts next week)

cottagebythesea 05-04-2011 06:39 PM

That sounds great, Zeff! I'm eager to hear your report back. :)

Mmckellen 05-04-2011 07:53 PM

I'm going to make chia pudding. I plan to use hemp milk and one banana. What are the ratios milk to chia taking into account the banana? That looks delish Zeff.

Blessed2Mother5 05-05-2011 07:37 AM

I have never heard of Chia before... I'll have to look into it.

zeffryn 05-05-2011 08:43 AM

eating it now...it's tasty, albeit not a huge portion of food. it is basically like ramped up chia pudding. I topped it with 1/4 banana and a couple chopped up strawberries. It seems to be pretty satisfying.

saef 05-05-2011 10:09 AM

I just picked up a small packet of chia seeds. They were surprisingly expensive. I need to Google some recipes.

zeffryn 05-05-2011 11:31 AM

They are pretty expensive, but mine last a LONG time. I just finished a 16 oz. canister that I bought last summer for around $16. I bought a 12 oz. package for $7 to replace it.

RE the Chia Goodness: It didn't keep me full very long. My usually soaked oats + chia seeds in the mornings keep me full until around 11 when we eat lunch. I finished my workout at 9:45 and I was STARVING. I think I might mix 2 T. of oats into it to give it more staying power.

cottagebythesea 05-05-2011 05:12 PM

I was curious as to whether the 2 TBSP serving was going to be satisfying enough to sustain you until lunchtime. Based on what you said, I don't think I'd bother to buy it. I'm pretty happy with my usual breakfast of soaked oats with fruit (and chia, when I remember to add them).
It gives me ideas on how to jazz up my oats, though, when I want something a little different.

zeffryn 05-05-2011 06:27 PM

It didn't look like much less than my normal breakfast after everything plumped up. It was really tasty. Had a bit of a ginger-y flavor that was really refreshing. I think I will add 1 T. of it to my normal soaked oats.

milmin2043 05-06-2011 12:58 AM

I have eaten chia seeds for over a year. An acupuncturist told me about them and said they help with inflammation? I soak a few tablespoons and add them to yogurt. I buy them in a large bag from my local healthfood store and they last a long time.