South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #1  

Default What do successful SBers eat

I am struggling with my weight & not losing. I see many have lost a lot of weight on SB so I know it works. How about listing some of the meals U eat. I realize that one food could serve people differently but open for some ideas.
OK U successful dieters fess up what U eat
Some tips would be welcome too..

Last edited by darinesto; 04-06-2011 at 11:38 PM.
darinesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I frequently post what I eat in "On Plan" the thread. I eat a little different now than when I was in the "losing" phase and have been maintaining for about 3 years. I ate either eggs (2) or oatmeal with PB for breakfast and always have V8 juice. For snack I always eat a piece of string cheese. Lunch is always a big salad with 4-5 oz. of protein & sometimes beans as well (Very filling). Snack in afternoon is usually skinny latte, but have eaten 1 cup of FF plain yogurt (could add fruit here). If I am really hungry I have veggies with hummus. Supper is always veggies on at least half the plate or more and a large protein serving such as chicken breast, ground lean turkey, pork tenderloin or fish. I do add healthy oil at lunch and supper meals (olive oil, guacamole). Evening snack is always nuts or nut butter. I have an occasional sweet potato, but rarely eat a grain although I did sometimes when I was losing. This link was helpful to me:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...meal-plan.html
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

My favorite breakfast lately is sauteed fresh spinach with a slice of cheese and an egg on a toasted whole wheat English muffin. I can't seem to usually eat wheat without cravings, but it works for me in the morning.

I usually have either 6 oz. of plain yogurt or about a cup of cottage cheese with a glass of tomato juice for a snack around 11.

We have our big meal at lunch time. I make it 1/3 protein, 1/3 whole grain, and 1/3 vegetable. The grain is usually brown rice.

For dinner I usually have a protein shake or leftovers from some lunch from the week.

Just a disclaimer... I could really stand to get another cup or so of veggies in my day.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

When I was actively losing and not just shedding the holiday extras I ate a phase 1.5 diet most days:
B - 1 egg, 1/2c beans or nf refried beans, 1c vegetables (either broccoli, spinach or zucchini most days), salsa +/- 1 oz rf cheese
L - 1 serving dinner leftovers, a side salad if I needed more
D - bean and veggie dishes with huge sides of veggies or big veggie salads with beans in the summer, sometimes 1 veggie burger added

Snacks are usually hummus & veggies, plain Greek yogurt & fruit, ff cottage cheese, apple & string cheese, etc

I exercised every day for at least an hour (usually just a walk) though I'm not as good about that now.

I always aimed for at least 4.5 cups of serious veggies, not just lots of cups of shredded lettuce, and a couple of servings of beans. That kept me full and satisfied most days.

I also learned I need to always measure my cheese, protein and grain servings. All those years of huge restaurant portions has warped my sense of what a serving really is.

Last edited by CyndiM; 04-07-2011 at 06:31 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #5  
Be happy.

Favorite Breakfasts:
- oatbran or steel cut oats with chia seeds, skim milk and splenda or stevia
- cottage cheese and tomato
- v8 and a cheese stick on busy days, when I need to get out the door early

Lunch is usually leftovers from supper the night before, or from the freezer. I usually have an apple or tangerine with it.

Suppers:
- Lots of our favorites come from this site, refried bean soup, deep dish italian pie, taco bake, salsa baked chicken with lots of steamed veggies.
- chili (I really like it with chunks of turkey breast rather than hamburg, but we have it both ways)
- chicken stir fries. (I buy boneless chicken breasts on sale, cut them up and combine them with frozen stir fry veggies and SF teriyaki sauce.)
- "faux pasta dishes (I use broccoli slaw or spaghetti squash as a base for pasta sauce, usually with meat in it. We like homemade sauce best, but there are a couple of jar brands that are SBD friendly and I've always got at least one in the cupboard just in case. The slaw steams up quickly and spaghetti squash keeps well so these are my go to meals when plans change.)
- plain old meals (grilled or baked fish, chicken or pork tenderloin with steamed vegetables)

Snacks:
- hummus and red pepper strips
- pistachios or almonds
- fruit or raw veggies
- hard boiled egg & v8

Desserts:
- SF jello
- SF fudge pops
- SF peanut butter cookies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I remember feeling overwhelmed when I first started SBD, but after a month or so it felt natural and it was easier to branch out and start tweaking our favorite things to be SBD legal. I avoid SF products now but I relied very heavily on them when I was losing weight and was so thankful for the variety of SF jellos, flavored yogurts and frozen popsicles and fudge pops and chewing gums in my grocery store!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

For me what was key was monitoring my portions a bit - just to get a sense of whether I was eating too much to lose. Why not track your calories for a couple of days, just to see where you are? I know SB does not advocate calorie counting, and I am not saying you have to do it forever, but it helps to do it for a bit just to see where your portions are.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: maintaining

Breakfast for me the past year has been crockpot refried beans with a bit of cheese melted on top.

Lunch is some protein and a veggie, often leftovers but might be tuna melt (no bread) or turkey burgers.

Afternoon snacks right now are green bean fries, a lot, and Babybel Cheese. often I have another snack, maybe an apple or some almonds. Snacking is kinda my downfall.

Dinner is usually protein and veggies again. And I like to chase it down with sf chocolate pudding.

Evening snacking is my biggest problem and currently I am eating an apple at night.

I seem to do best when I limit grains and fruit and have them later in the day. They don't seem to bother me much a dinner but lunchtime grains might set me off for the rest of the day. Actually, I have gotten so used to not having them early that I don't even miss them (most of the time).
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #8  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Definitely check out the on-plan thread. It is a great place for meal inspiration!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #9  

murphmitch, I realized after I posted this that most of U do post on "ON PLAN" as I do. I still got some good replies
WaistingTime,
What are green beans fries & Babybel Cheese? Nite time is when I really want to snack. What is crockpot refried beans?
Mmckellen,
The last few days I have check with Weight watchers points.. the older way. I'm pretty much where I should be on points.
Heidi58,
What are chia seed? I never thought of using broccoli slaw, spaghetti squash is very expensive here. I'll have to try some of your recipes too.
CyndiM,
I try hard to get the 4 1/4 cups of veggies & never use iceburge lettuce.. mostly use baby spinach. I also eat beans.
tomandkara,
Your breakfast sounds good.. I eat eggs with cheese & spinach a lot for breakfast.. may try it on WW toast. I do scramble my egg though.
murphmitch,
I like beans in my salad too.. tonite I didn't have any boiled eggs but wanted egg in my spinach salad. I scrambled 2 & put garlic powder & fajita seasoning (didn't check for sugar) It was very good. No more than I used there can't be much sugar.
zeffryn,
Yes, there are good idea there. got some real good ones here too.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: maintaining

crockpot refried beans recipe

babybel light link At my grocery store it is not always in the regular cheese section but in the pricier cheese section. My Costco carries them now too.

For green bean fries I have two versions, one using fresh green beans and the other using frozen. Basically they are roasted green beans but overcooked until the texture changes.

For frozen, I use the skinny green beans. I spray a sheet pan with olive oil, add the beans, mist beans with olive oil, salt/pepper to taste, roast at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, stir, roast again for another 10 minutes, stir, roast again for another 10, stir, roast again for 6-8 minutes until some are browned. You'll have to play to find the doneness you like best.

With fresh green beans, wash and trim. Preheat oven then sheet pan for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Spray with olive oil, add green beans, spray again, salt/pepper, roast and stir as above until done.

Yum! I eat then out of a bowl with my fingers It has been a great go-to veggie snack for me but does take time.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #11  

WaistingTime,
Thanks, I'll have to try the beans.. I'll need to cut it down some as I cook for 1 & my freezer is small (just part of the refrig) It is full. I'll look for the cheese too.
Dar
Old 04-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #12  
Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinesto View Post
Heidi58,
What are chia seed? I never thought of using broccoli slaw, spaghetti squash is very expensive here. I'll have to try some of your recipes too.
chia seeds I buy mine in bulk at a health food store. I am fighting to keep my cholesterol under 200 so that's my main motivation for using chia seeds daily, but I like the other benefits, too. I eat them in my morning oats, and also really like them in my yogurt. The dark specks look funny but I like the texture they add, especially when I use plain or vanilla yogurt and raspberries.

Spaghetti squash runs about $1.49/lb here, though it's sometimes higher. I get several meals from one squash, and it keeps pretty well in the fridge after it's been cooked. I'm not sure how expensive it is where you are, but it's probably worth watching for a sale. It's tasty stuff.

The broccoli slaw is so quick and easy, Fergie and I use it a lot - especially when we're running late and want to get a meal on the table fast.I love the stuff and always have a bag in the fridge. For us it's more expensive than spaghetti squash though. (12 oz bag runs around $2.49)
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote