South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #16  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

As we age, some of us are more insulin resistant, meaning our body has a tougher time metabolizing carbohydrate, especially if there is a history of high carb intake for years. Those people do better with a lower glycemic index and possibly lower carb intake in their diet. Some people also have a particular issue with wheat containing foods, so you may do better with brown rice or some other grain. This article I linked to below explains it pretty well. I'm 54 and I do better with very little grains and fruits. I make up for it with lots of veggies, beans and occasional sweet potato or starchy squash. I don't remember if your exercising at all, but simply taking a walk a day may be helpful. And drinking lots of water is helpful to many of us. Even if your not losing presently on SB, your body chemistry is changing; glucose metabolism is normalizing, triglycerides dropping, possibly blood pressure lowering. We can't always see the changes but they are a positive effect. Try not to get discouraged. These are things that cannot be measured for a contest. Too bad they can't reward you for staying OP despite no weight loss!

http://www.suite101.com/content/when...orking-a258950

Last edited by murphmitch; 04-09-2011 at 02:21 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #17  

murphmitch,
I lost 20 lbs in little over 2 months this year just cutting down. I decided to do SB so I could lose & also help my triglyceride. I lost weight in the past but my triglyceride didn't go down. Little did I know I would have so much trouble just losing after I did phase 1. The thought of never being able to eat bread again is too hard to think about. I already eat a ton of veggies.
Right now I'm not worried about any contest which isn't really a contest. It is a way Alabama Drs is trying to help people lose. Alabama has a very high rate of obesity. I have only added a fruit (but not every day) & 1 serving of cereal plus a couple of times a SB french toast. Did that 1 at a time. I don't know if maybe I'm eating too much cheese. I have cut that down today (none so far). Last nite was my 1st yogurt so it isn't that. I had some Lite & lively given to me. I hadn't bought any as 14 g of sugar seems high to me. I only ate 1/2 a serving.
I have got where I feel hungry. I'm not sure I know the difference between hunger & craving.
I fear if I just go back to cutting down now I'll just gain even more. The biggest difference in then & now are simple carbs.
I am walking more now.
I read your post again. We do get kinda an award for for eating right (losing) At the end of the month awards are handed out for NO RED MARKS... meaning NO GAINS. our weight is recorded in red & black.. red being a gain that week. I have not had a red mark this year.. may Tuesday though. Childish yes but anything to encourage us. Years ago when I went to Weight Watcher we did the same type of things.
I'm not ready to give up yet.
Dar

Last edited by darinesto; 04-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.
darinesto is offline   Reply With Quote