South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #1  

Default LOsing faith.

I only lost a few lbs in phase 1 but was within 1 lb of meeting my 1st goal (not all lost doing SB) I needed to lose 10 lbs in 10 weeks (very doable)by April 15 for a statewide competition. I was sure I would make it. Well I went on to phase 2 when I was supposed to & now in 3 days I have gained 2 1/2 lbs. I only added a 1/2 cup of Fiber One as a nite snack with 1/2 cup of soy milk. At this rate I can forget my 10 lbs in 10 weeks.
Here is a typical day in phase 2:

BREAKFAST
1 egg plus 2 scramblers cooked with olive oil
At least 1/2 cup of spinach
onions & peppers
LUNCH
fish(sardines in mustard sauce)
at least 2 cups veggies.
V8 juice (reduced salt)
SNACK
Cottage cheese & a few walnut pieces
Dinner
1/2 lb of 93% fat free hamburger (made 2 meals)
1/2 cup Pinto beans
Veggies
Salsa
Cottage cheese & a few walnut pieces
SNACK
1/2 cup Fiber One cereal
1 cup soy milk (low fat)

That is pretty much how I ate on phase one with a few cheats & without the cereal.
I don't want to gain back all I had lost.
I had lost 20 lbs since Jan. 1. All but about 5 was just cutting down. I wish I had never started South Beach. Not sure why I did as I have seen too many gain it all back with low carb diets. How can I prevent gaining it all back now?
I'm in it now so got to work this out somehow.
BTW
I lost quite a bit a few years back but started in phase 2..YES I gained most of it back. I'm 74 & really want to succeed this time. I would sure like to lose about 25 more lbs. I will still be heavy but will be happy with it.
Dar

Last edited by darinesto; 03-27-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: To correct the spelling of losing in topic but don't seem to be able to do it.
darinesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Listen, I feel your frustration. I've been all over the scale map for the past two months and it is incredibly frustrating - and what is even more frustrating, is that I use the discouragement as a justification to cheat.

You say you lost 20 lbs. since January. That is a lot of weight to lose, no matter what "plan" you are on. It seems natural for the loss to slow. Yes, those 2.5 lbs. you have gained since going back on Phase 2 are really probably water weight, not real weight.

What advice can I give you? Everyone says this is a way of eating, not a diet, but if you want to lose weight on this or any other woe you have to monitor portions seriously. I'm not saying you haven't been doing that, but the amount you have lost in a relatively short time and also your age (sorry, but it affects me too, I know my age has slowed my metabolism) will probably mean that your loss will stop and start and be slower than someone with more to lose who is younger.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/159/130

Height: 5'2"

I started SBD back in December 2010. I read something then that has stuck with me... I may have even read it on this board. It went something like this...if you lost only 1 pound a month for 12 months, you would be 12 pounds lighter at this time next year. One pound lost, no matter how you look at it is better than losing none at all, or gaining!

I have been reading that some people back off on the carbs slightly going into Phase 2 if they start gaining, I have also read that increasing protein intake seems to help as well.

Keep up the good work.
brneyegirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated right now. As Matilda(Mmc) pointed out, your gain is probably water weight. It seems to happen to alot of us when we transition to P2. Many beachers report, however, that as they've kept track of measurements they actually lose inches even though the scale isn't moving much. Both of these events happened to me when I transitioned.

Since I don't have any information about your current weight it's hard to have a real idea where you're at. People at higher weights usually lose faster than those who have less to lose.

I just turned 53, and like you, I lost alot of weight just by cleaning up my food intake and exercising more. I still had some health issues (high BP and cholesterol) and when I started South Beach Diet it WAS a lifestyle change to get healthier-and it has truly been that. I am off blood pressure meds, my cholesterol is within normal range and my triglycerides are so low that I have a hard time believing it.

I'm sure you can crash diet and lose the exact amount of weight in your desired time frame. You could also acknowledge that you would be 20 days healthier by April 15 and you'd certainly drop more inches/weight.

One thing I've learned, is that stress doesn't help the weightloss process, whether it be the cortisol or water retention....so not stressing might be helpful.

Because of my age, I decided this time around that I would make my goal no matter how long it takes. After maintaining (more or less) my current weight for over a year I decided to get serious and count calories along with SBD. I found one of the numerous sites I liked and got my calorie goal which is matched with my activity level. I've stuck to it, only going over my calorie goal twice since Feb. 18 and I've lost 10# already. For me, it always seems to be a combination of quality/quantity of food combined with exercise.

Best wishes! Hey, you've lost 20# you will look great!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinesto View Post
I wish I had never started South Beach. Not sure why I did as I have seen too many gain it all back with low carb diets. How can I prevent gaining it all back now?
This is not a low carb diet. It is a very healthy way of eating that I intend to remain on the rest of my life if possible. The reason anyone regains after following any plan is by resorting back to former ways of eating. That's why it's important to lose on a safe and maintainable plan, one that you don't give up when you reach your goal, but build on for weight maintenance. It isn't a contest and it's unfortunate that you are unhappy because you feel you can't lose "x" number of pounds in "x" weeks.

As some have said, this is probably water weight. No one knows what our body composition is day to day. The scale is a reflection of a complex number of things. That's why a competition based on amount of pounds lost is rather silly without taking into consideration other factors. If you lose 5# of muscle with your 5# of fat, after the 10# loss are you a winner? South Beach is about correcting unhealthy glucose metabolism, conquering cravings and bringing about positive health changes. You have to think long range, and not be so short sighted. I hope you can stick with SB. I truly believe it is one of the healthiest diets for one to eat.

This is an interesting article which addresses insulin resistance as a reason for stalling in Phase II. One of their resources listed is Dr. Agatston.

http://www.suite101.com/content/when...orking-a258950

Last edited by murphmitch; 03-27-2011 at 09:57 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #6  

Lexxiss, I weighed 244 when I started.. I was 223 now I am 225 with fraction in there...I just rounded it off. I have Best Loser digital scales & weigh my meats & almost every thing but veggies. I just guesstamate them.
I have all those health problems too along with a bad back. I can't walk much at all..I use a walker a lot in my building.. a large apt building for seniors.
I haven't crash dieted since I was younger but then still ate a lot of meat & veggies. I lost 100 lbs then in 1 year (not on SB) I walked 5 miles a day almost every day... Can't do that now. I get blood work done in June & hope the results are good. I just want to lose this weight along with it.. Gaining is so discouraging when U are trying so hard.
Sorry I did so much whining.
Thanks for the answer & encouragement,
Dar
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hope you feel a bit better! I'll bet you are taking off the inches...it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Take care of yourself...I didn't mean anything personal when I used the term "crash dieting", I was just using it quite broadly meaning we can do almost anything short term, but taking care of our health is a much more thoughtful process.

Perhaps you could make a committment to stay with a healthy plan until your blood test in June and see how you've progressed.

Just try to remember that the number on the scale is always temporary. I looked at my graph for my 10# loss earlier today. I always hit a low...go up for 3 or 4 days...come back down and a bit lower...go back up....come down lower. I personally don't ever call those up phases a "gain". They're just part of the process if I'm eating on plan.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Try not to be so quick to want to throw in the towel. I'd bet if you give it a few days you'll see those pounds melt away again w/ and take some friends w/ them. As the others have said, it's probably just water weight.

Someone else pointed it out, but remember, South Beach is NOT a "low-carb" diet. Focusing on low-carb items removes the focus from where it needs to be...the ingredient list!!!

I know it seems like it's not working, but give it time. I thought I would NEVER be able to lose the weight. I thought it would take gastric bypass to at least get me jumpstarted before I could lose any significant amount of weight. I'm almost a year in on Southbeach and I've lost 94 pounds.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #9  

murphmitch,
I do realize that it is a healthy diet.. That's why I keep coming back to it. I plan on keep trying.. as I said earlier I'm in it now & will keep trying.

I really want some spaghetti.. what kind is legal.. how about Barilla semolina, durum flour?

I still hope I don't gain it all back.. I'm sure going to try not to. Guess I better lose it first :0)
Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #10  

WOW!! Natasha1534 that is a great lose.. I hope I can do just 1/2 as well. I was pretty discouraged this morning but I'm not giving up yet. Yes I'd like to keep going till my blood work. I would sure like to get off some of this meds. I keep telling myself that others have had great success why can't I.. I hope I can.
Dar
P.S.
I realized it sounded like I thought if my blood work was better I could get off the meds & forget it .. I know better than that.. gotta keep going & going or it would all be for nothing.

Last edited by darinesto; 03-28-2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: to add a comment
Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

My best advice (from someone who has lost 90 lbs and gained it back :O ) is to put away your scale for now. Weigh monthly (or less). Control things you CAN control...your behaviors...staying on program, adding whatever exercise you can do, getting to bed earlier, etc.... you can't control what the scale says. You can try like **** but you can't, in the end, decide what the number is. Are you going to give up if the scale doesn't show how hard you worked? Are you in it for the long haul? Faster, isn't always better!!! I lost those 90 lbs in 7 months....a lot of good it did me that I couldn't maintain it. I was in such a hurry..... I thought if I could just get there I'll know how to stay there. WRONG!!!! With the journey comes knowledge..knowing yourself and what you are willing to do long term. Hang in there. I know I sound trite but please, try to make this about the health and chaning your lifestyle!! Good luck!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinesto View Post
I really want some spaghetti.. what kind is legal.. how about Barilla semolina, durum flour?
As Cyndi posted in another thread, it has to be whole grain so either whole wheat or brown rice pasta. Semolina or durum is not OK.

From the FAQ section:

Pasta
Whole wheat is best choice - 1/2 cup cooked (3 grams of fiber or more per 1/2 cup)
Soy is second best choice - 1/2 cup cooked (3 grams of fiber or more per 1/2 cup)

Remember 1 serving is 1/2 cup, not much pasta.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #13  

I want to apologize for what I posted yesterday.. I had to get up early & didn't feel too good then stepped on the scale & blew it. I don't ussually get upset over a small gain..I needed the kicks in the Hmmmmmm I got. I didn't really give Phase 2 a chance. I have always weighed often But never got so upset before. I like the food I'm eating but do need to bring in some new idea. Having to cook for 1 is somewhat a challenge but I do like leftover too.
I want to thank all of U for being patient with me.
Now on to success..
Dar

Last edited by darinesto; 03-29-2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: correctsome spelling
Old 03-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #14  

Correct one word & make another mistake.. My excuse.. it's late :0)
Dar
Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #15  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Dar, we all have those moments of frustration. Don't apologize. This is a support forum and we will be here with words of encouragement, tough love, and suggestions.

Sounds like you've given yourself time to adjust your attitude and get your head back in the game. Keep on truckin'!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote