3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   MorningStar Farms black bean chipotle burger (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/227126-morningstar-farms-black-bean-chipotle-burger.html)

Mmckellen 03-03-2011 06:07 AM

MorningStar Farms black bean chipotle burger

Anyone else ever have these? They are the kind you get at Costco with about 220 calories each. I bought a box and had one last night and it was delish, but my eyes kind of glazed over as I read the ingredient list (about 1,000 ingredients). I normally buy GardenBurger veggie burgers but they didn't have them. I try not to eat too much soy since I have edamame each day, and I did see that these contain "texturized soy protein" or something like that. Feedback, please.

CyndiM 03-03-2011 06:23 AM

It's one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary) things. DW eats Morningstar stuff because it tastes good and has good carb to protein numbers (she is diabetic). I rarely eat them because they are high fat and full of mystery ingredients. I really try to stick with whole foods and recognizable stuff as much as possible but we do keep a variety of veggie burgers for emergencies and really busy times.

One question is what would you eat in it's place - gardenburgers, organic meat, non-organic meats? Each one balances in a different way.

I try to stick to whole soy rather than processed so eat edamame, tofu or tempeh rather than the million other soy products out there. I do think Morningstar products are like a lot of other highly processed foods, once you develop a taste for them it's harder to eat the whole food versions. Something about all those taste bud exciting chemicals that makes us expect that :shrug: but that's just my own theory

Mmckellen 03-03-2011 07:12 AM

Thanks Cyndi. Since I already bought them at Costco (and therefore have about 15 left) I'll just eat them sparingly and then go back to my Gardenburger which is soy free for the most part.

cottagebythesea 03-03-2011 07:26 AM

I haven't tried the chipotle burgers, but I am guilty of eating Morningstar Farms products. They're so tasty, especially the Grillers. :o I do like the Gardenburgers better, though.

MindiV 03-03-2011 08:05 AM

I've just tried the MorningStar Spicy Black Bean Burgers. They're 120 cals each...they're ok. Will probably get them again for a quick lunch.

WaistingTime 03-03-2011 08:14 AM

I get the smaller sized ones that come in the grocery store. (The burgers are smaller, not just the packaging!) I keep them in the freezer because I find they are a great go-to lunch when I don't have leftovers or something else. They do have all sorts of strange ingredients but I guess it is always a trade off. I like mine with salsa and no bread. I was able to eat them often when I was very consistent on SB last year with no cravings from whatever stuff was in there.

Another Costco find for me has been the Amy Lu Chicken burgers. I have not looked at the ingredients in a while so suspect there is a lot in there too... processed food being what it is. I do know they are pretty high in sodium. But another good thing to cook fast.

zeffryn 03-03-2011 08:24 AM

I keep some of the spicy black bean burgers in my freezer. Have you ever tried making your own black bean patties? SUPER easy and fast and great to have in the freezer for "those days"

weezle 03-03-2011 10:58 AM

I am a MS Farms JUNKIE. I make sure that anything "breaded" is a VERY RARE treat/cheat, so usually keep the Grillers Original, Bacon, Crumbles, and Italian Sausage in my fridge. I also like Veggie Patch Meatless Meat Balls. Not necessarily the BEST things I could consume, but they taste good and are a decent replacement for meat for those of us that can't eat it.

MissKoo 03-04-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeffryn (Post 3739899)
I keep some of the spicy black bean burgers in my freezer. Have you ever tried making your own black bean patties? SUPER easy and fast and great to have in the freezer for "those days"

Have a good recipe to share?:)