3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Does Anyone Eat Dark Meat Poultry on South Beach? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/227051-does-anyone-eat-dark-meat-poultry-south-beach.html)

southbeacher 03-02-2011 02:06 PM

Does Anyone Eat Dark Meat Poultry on South Beach?

To make a long story short, I am on a very tight budget. Dark meat poultry is a LOT, and I do mean a LOT cheaper than chicken breasts. I plan on using chicken thighs (skinned), etc. as one of my protein sources.

I know Dr. A frowns on dark meat poultry, but after all, the turkey sausage and turkey bacon allowed are all made from dark meat poultry. I would never eat the skin.

I'm hoping some of you are using dark meat poultry and still losing. Anyone out there? Thanks.

Mmckellen 03-02-2011 02:24 PM

I'm sure it's fine. We do what we have to do. Maybe you'll add an additional 50 calories or something, but nothing to really stress on.

southbeacher 03-02-2011 02:27 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I don't think a moderate amount will hurt either.

I guess I'm just so worried about failing, when I so want this to be my last "diet" and become my lifestyle.

What a worrywort I am!

Mmckellen 03-02-2011 06:47 PM

Listen I can guarantee you right now that you will go off plan and cheat. We all do. Look at this lifestyle change as a way to learn how to get back in the saddle after you fall off, not as a way to be perfect. If you're good 90% of the time, you'll be successful.

zeffryn 03-02-2011 06:51 PM

I agree with MMC. Life is going to get in the way sometimes and that is ok. What makes this a lifestyle and not a diet, is our ability to come back to it after mistakes.

I agree that dark meat chicken is fine in moderation.

Good luck!

TwynnB 03-02-2011 08:56 PM

I buy whole chickens all the time to make stuff with it, can't go wrong at 69-89 cents a pd. Just used the rest of one (actually, even froze some more) to make the moroccan tagine. I'll cut all the skin off before boiling, the once cooked chill it to skim all the fat off the top (not a lot, honestly). As I debone it, I remove the little bits of fat as well.
Good luck!

MissKoo 03-02-2011 09:57 PM

Chicken thighs in the slow cooker with Rotel tomatoes? Yum. Dark meat is part of our menu each week. You are correct about NO SKIN. Darn it.

Like the other gals said, moderation.

Natasha1534 03-02-2011 11:25 PM

I can't remember who it is, but there's someone on SB that eats dark meat b/c it's more easily digestable after having WLS. Darn...I can see her avy but I can't think of her name!!!

SouthLake 03-02-2011 11:26 PM

I have thighs fairly regularly and haven't found any issues with them. Tasty skin removed, of course.

fozentusic 03-03-2011 09:32 PM

I mix breasts and thighs (fat and skin removed, of course), on a regular basis for cost reasons. :)

CyndiM 03-04-2011 05:21 AM

It looks like the question has been answered.