You and Yogurt. I could use some other opinions...

• So, I've decided that If I have to eat eggs for one more breakfast I'm going to LOOSE MY MIND. I figure splenda sweetened yogurt w/ berries is a good alternative.

Anyone get cravings from the sugars so soon in the morning? I've been reading that you shouldn't eat something (like milk) that's high in sugars first thing o.o
  • I do really well with Greek yogurt because of the extra protein. Regular yogurt just doesn't keep me satisfied very long.
  • Sorry, can't help with your question about having yogurt for breakfast but I can say that I absolutely love the plain non-fat Greek yogurt with fresh fruit or cinnamon and an ounce of raw nuts and some artifical sweetener for my after dinner snack. There are a lot of other options for breakfast besides eggs though. Have you checked out the breakfast recipes on this website?
  • also toss in some flax seed or granola (find one that's not all sugary).
  • I love microwaving a chopped up apple until very soft, adding Splenda, cinnamon and about 1/2 cup FF plain Greek yogurt. It's yummy and filling.
  • No splenda for me! I don't do sweeteners. I use honey, maple syrup or brown sugar. With most fruit I don't need anything in my yogurt. I love the yogurt/banana/walnut/honey combo. A greek classic. One thing I do check with yogurt is that it has no gelatine (yuck) and around 2%. I don't do non-fat either.

(Oops, I just saw that this is in the South Beach section. I don't know what South Beach diet entails. Sorry! Newbie mistake.)
  • Quote: I love microwaving a chopped up apple until very soft, adding Splenda, cinnamon and about 1/2 cup FF plain Greek yogurt. It's yummy and filling.
    Wow, sounds yummy. I don't use sweetners either. I really love the light and fit yogurt. Yes, I get sweet cravings in the morning. I like to have toast with just a little peanut butter and sliced bananas. I think the multigrain Cheerios help too. They have a little sweetness to them.
  • I make my own yogurt... it's stupid-easy, saves a lot of money and recycling. And of course I can control EXACTLY what goes into it and what texture I like (thick and creamy). It's just milk with a live bacteria culture. I make mine from 1% milk.

I prefer it plain, mixed with a diced apple and cinnamon. The nuts are a great idea! However, I try to keep nuts as a separate snack for the 3:30-ishs. Alternatively, you can add a handful of blueberries or other kind of berry, a spoonful of jam, honey, vanilla or any fresh fruit.

Good luck with the no eggs!
  • Quote: Wow, sounds yummy. I don't use sweetners either. I really love the light and fit yogurt. Yes, I get sweet cravings in the morning. I like to have toast with just a little peanut butter and sliced bananas. I think the multigrain Cheerios help too. They have a little sweetness to them.
    The Light & Fit does have Splenda in it. Also the Multigrain Cheerios has sugar as the 3rd ingredient in it. Also lots of corn (first ingredient), corn starch, brown sugar syrup. Not a beachy choice. I think the regular Cheerios are better choice. Here's a thread about cereals on SB:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/2862471-post85.html
  • I concur with the greek yogurt suggestion. just regular yogurt + fruit doesn't hold me very long and i am ravenous by lunchtime. greek yogurt has more protein and is thicker, which to me, makes it seem more substantial.

There are a lot of other ideas in the the phase 1 breakfast thread for non-egg breakfasts. check it out.
  • Quote: No splenda for me! I don't do sweeteners. I use honey, maple syrup or brown sugar. With most fruit I don't need anything in my yogurt. I love the yogurt/banana/walnut/honey combo. A greek classic. One thing I do check with yogurt is that it has no gelatine (yuck) and around 2%. I don't do non-fat either.

(Oops, I just saw that this is in the South Beach section. I don't know what South Beach diet entails. Sorry! Newbie mistake.)

I don't like artificial sweeteners either, but I've found Agave Nectar is a pretty tasty alternative, is natural, and is acceptable on SB (P2+) The light tastes more sugary, and the amber tastes more like honey.. I just noticed that they sell it at Wal-Mart too, which is nice, because last time I bought it a couple years ago, I could only get it at the local tienda..
  • Just a reminder that this is the South Beach forum and honey, added sugar and corn are not on plan. It's easy to end up in the wrong forum but I want to make sure none of the new Beachers are confused

ETA - I had leftover Navy Bean & Barley soup for breakfast today
  • Quote: I don't like artificial sweeteners either, but I've found Agave Nectar is a pretty tasty alternative, is natural, and is acceptable on SB (P2+) The light tastes more sugary, and the amber tastes more like honey.. I just noticed that they sell it at Wal-Mart too, which is nice, because last time I bought it a couple years ago, I could only get it at the local tienda..
    I have never heard of agave nectar. I will try to find it. Thanks!
  • Quote: Just a reminder that this is the South Beach forum and honey, added sugar and corn are not on plan. It's easy to end up in the wrong forum but I want to make sure none of the new Beachers are confused

ETA - I had leftover Navy Bean & Barley soup for breakfast today
    Sorry!
  • Hey Josey..nice to see a Canadian in here..i felt like i was the only one for the longest time...I like to eat 1/2 cup yougurt with a flaxseed south beach muffin. I find the two fills me up plenty till lunch.