Parsnips

• I knew this had come up before. I found this thread, parsnips, in the archives. Anyone know if the food lists in Good Fat Good Carbs was updated? I hate to miss out on a vegetable I could be eating, especially one that is still local.

ETA - looking at the glycemic load chart parsnips are pretty high. They are equivalent to bananas.

That helps me figure it out for us. It's not just a SBD issue but a diabetes concern here. I probably won't add parsnips to our meals. If I loved them I might have them once or twice a month with other things (maybe in roasted veggie mixes) but because we don't eat them now we won't miss them. I was thinking about adding them in and don't see any reason to do that.
  • But we are allowed to have bananas on Phase 2. Is it the same for parnsips? Or are they additionally bad because of the starchiness? I'm not a huge fan, but did find a recipe for parsnip ribbons that looked like a nice crunchy snack, something I'm always on the lookout for.
  • That came up in the earlier thread - it looks like it's an occasional food, maybe a couple of times a month. They are higher than corn, so maybe the same guidelines? I think a lot of this stuff is personal trial and error too. I was just trying to decide whether or not I should add them to our meal plans. That's an easier decision because they aren't a food that we really love and would miss.
  • Oh. I'm glad this was posted. I was eyeing up the parsnips at the store the other day as a substitute for carrot. Good thing I didn't buy!
  • We eat them maybe twice a year. It works for us - a little variety thrown in there once in awhile. We do the same with corn - get it when it's really good in the summer two or three times and really enjoy it then.
  • I agree with you Cyndi, they are one of my favorite vegs so I can leave them alone, no problem. Not looking for something that can create a problem for me.