South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #1  
TLK

Default Phase 1 Almond Jam bars - Anybody Tried?

The Super Quick SB cookbook has a recipe for these bars, made from ground almonds and using sugar free jam. Has anyone tried them? They look like they'd really hit my spot but I hate to get my hopes up if they're not that good.

That kind of leads to another question. If I'm supposed to be breaking my craving for sweets, but I'm eating artificially sweetened foods, how would that work? I feel like I'm just "enabling" myself somehow. And, since my DH died and DD got married, I know I've developed a real emotional dependence on sweets. I'm really not sure what to do. Any advice is appreciated.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

The jam thing is one of those things that just really confuses me. Personally I would not make these for Phase 1. I also craved sweets and just needed the break for two weeks. OTOH Dr. A says it's okay and lots of people have followed the plan.

If you've identified an emotional dependence on sweets it might be worth going without any for two weeks just to see how you feel after. I've "detoxed" from allowed foods when figuring out what triggered my inflammation and my crabby winter mood. For me it was a worthwhile experiment and helped me figure out some important things. There's so much I can't control it's nice to find pieces I can change.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

A great resource on sugar addiction and what it can do to you is "Potatoes Not Prozac" by Kathleen DesMaisons. She also has a website radiantrecovery.com that you can check out. I am not surprised that after going through emotional trauma you find relief in sugar. It stimulates the release of all kinds of endorphins and feel good chemicals in the brain. They did studies that when they gave little babies straight sugar water they stopped crying. The problem comes when you crash - and for sugar addicts, the crash is hard. Check it out.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #4  
TLK

Default Sweet Tooth

Thanks ladies for reinforcing my thinking on the sugar substitutes. I do think I need to just go cold turkey on sweets. I can't honestly say I think I'll ever loose my desire for them, (I have been known to dream in total chocolate), but I believe I need to prove to myself that I can say no. I'm being treated for depression, and I know I "self-medicate" with sweets and starches if I'm not careful.

I'll check out the website you mentioned. Thanks again.

Last edited by TLK; 01-29-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #5  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Another point of view from a huge sugar addict. When I started SBD three months ago, I had been so heavy into eating sugar that I absolutely knew that I wouldn't be able to go cold turkey. So I have been using artifical sweeteners right along whenever I wanted something sweet. So far so good and the weight is coming off and I figure that using artifical sweeteners for a while is better than eating processed or refined sugars and other than that, I've been eating so much more healthy.

However, that being said, I have planned all along in cutting back on the artifical sweeteners when the time is right. I have already started this process and will gradually eliminate them completely.

But for now I am still using them to some extent but down the road will walk away from them completely.

Just another opinion to consider.

Last edited by TallandThin; 01-29-2011 at 12:59 PM.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #6  
TLK

Thanks, Tallandthin. I see what you are saying, and I will definitely keep that in mind. Sometimes I've found it's good to have a back up plan.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Just agreeing with the others - we have to find out what works for us.
I would binge on those if I made them. I haven't even seen the recipe but just from the description here I know I would not be able to eat just one....
There are several recipes that are totally P1 friendly, but that I know I'd binge on them..Mock French Toast and the Belgian Waffles spring to mind!
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #8  
It will be MY turn too!

S/C/G: 254.2/243.0/180

Height: 5'4.5"

I think I would binge on them too if I made them, but I am also known for immediately portioning them out and freezing them. I guess it all would depend on my own self-control at the time

Give it a try (maybe divide the recipe into a smaller try?) and see how you do. You will know yourself better for next time if something goes wrong.
ladywyyn is offline   Reply With Quote