South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/181/130

Height: 5' 3or4"

Default Eating out...what's your plan?

I know no one can be perfect when in a situation to go out to eat - whether fast food or sit down. But I'm just curious as to what things you personally do to either make a meal more SBD compatible or what kind of SBD-friendly meals you choose?

I find lettuce wrapping at sit down places awesome!
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #2  
Mous

I read their menu on line first.
I have a good soup or salad to fill me up. I pass on the bread. I ask the waiter questions and ask if I can substitute and I order things on the side. I take home half in a people bag!
LADY WINDSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I look up menus on-line and decide on what I'm going to order and then TELL SOMEONE so I'm accountable.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

This is where I am finding the p+ way of tracking invaluable. First I look at the menu and decide what looks good (and is compliant to whatever stage of SB I am on). Then I look up the point value and build around that. For instance if I'm going to a diner I decide on a hamburger (no bun), see how many points that is, and work around it. This helps me to know if I can have 1 or 2 tbsp. of dressing on my salad, or add a piece of cheese to make a cheeseburger, etc. Generally I say look at the menu on line and plan ahead what you are going to order. I am sure there is a SB eating out guide which helps you to make better choices too. I find that for foods with sauces (generally asian cuisine) a cup is the serving size that will keep you on plan. Familiarize yourself with what a cup of something looks like on a plate so you can eyeball it when you get to the restaurant. Ask immediately for any extra to be packaged up so you can take it home.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I look the menus up online ahead of time and pick out what seems the most friendly options so when I get there I won't (hopefully) waver. I skip breads and grains and often ask for double veggies instead.

The hardest was when I was traveling by car last year and we ate at fast-food places. I got a lot of salads but once I got a burger and ate it out of the bun.

Honestly, I don't eat out as much as I used to. But I don't miss it either.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

definitely look up the menus ahead of time, but when i can't, i go with this formula: protein + veg + veg. i eyeball the protein portion using the palm of my hand (that is just about 3 oz.) and then have double veggies and I ask to have them prepared dry (no butter or anything). sometimes i'll have a salad and just remove the croutons, cheese, bacon bits, etc. and have the dressing on the side.

one time, i was getting brunch and i ordered an egg and veggie scramble with egg whites only and instead of hashbrowns on the side, asked for a side salad - the waitress looked at me funny, but only because nobody had asked for that before. she was very accommodating and didn't mind making the substitution.

if i'm drinking, it is a glass of wine, if not, unsweetened iced tea.

it becomes a way of life to order this way. restaurants don't mind preparing food differently. just get creative. more often than not, if an ingredient is on the menu somewhere, they can serve it to you. if another entree comes with black beans and you want them with yours, ask. there might be a small upcharge, but nothing astronomical.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

Already said by nearly everyone here, but look at the menu ahead of time! We typically eat at home as well, and it's amazing how quickly you become accustomed to home made food - that being said, last night I would have about killed for a big plate of Italian anything w/a slice of cake.
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm with others about looking up their menu online ahead of time. I tend to go only to places that are SB compatible unless it's a planned off plan meal (I'm in maintenance). Barbecue joints seem to be one of the hardest places for me to eat acceptably. Usually I can order a steak and salad though. Don't be afraid to ask for your food to be prepared differently or with different sides. Most places are accommodating. We go out to breakfast frequently and I always order the veggie omelet made with Egg Beaters and fruit. My husband eats my pancakes. My favorite meal at restaurants is salmon. It's usually fantastic! Oil and vinegar are good dressing choices or take some of your own along. Tell them not to leave the bread basket. I always ask for extra veggies instead of a potato side. Usually have steamed veggies.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/163/154

Height: 5'6"

When we go fast food, I generally just order a cesear salad or a veggie burger with no bun (if available). At regular restaurants, I order a lean meat and steamed veggies.
beckyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Plan ahead always! So far it's working well and as for dinner invites from friends, well they all know that I don't eat certain foods.
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I avoid social situations if at all possible! Terrible, I know.

If I absolutely can't avoid it, I do like the others and read menus in advance, plan out my meal, feign illness and eat very little. I always have a small snack before I go out so I'm not tempted by the bread basket.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

Height: 5'4"

i follow Dr.Oz on this i
A) order off the appetizer menu or salad menu
B) try to know what i'm going to order before i get there
C) never ever take a doggie bag home becuase if i do i'll eat it as soon as i get home which for me is counter productive lol
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote