3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Need a P1 Side Dish Suggestion (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/222256-need-p1-side-dish-suggestion.html)

Lily In Bloom 01-12-2011 08:12 PM

Need a P1 Side Dish Suggestion

(I think this is the right place to post?)

So, I'm planning on making the Balsamic and Onion Pot Roast from Kalyn's Kitchen on Friday and I'm looking for a good phase 1 side dish. Previously, of course, I would do some sort of potato. The blog suggests something with cauliflower, but my husband hates that.

Any ideas? Something tasty to be a good pot roast side dish?

jms423 01-12-2011 08:25 PM

I usually do salads as a side. I know, kinda boring...

cottagebythesea 01-12-2011 08:38 PM

I'd make a big pan of roasted vegetables as a side. I think they'd compliment the pot roast nicely.

TwynnB 01-12-2011 08:40 PM

OMG that onion and balsamic pot roast sounds amazing...have to look that one up...

murphmitch 01-12-2011 09:36 PM

I second the roasted veggies. My favorite! Or steamed broccoli, or crack slaw?

Mmckellen 01-13-2011 06:23 AM

You could do garlic roasted "mashed" cauliflower and your husband might not know the difference! I'm sure there is a recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen for mashed cauliflower. Or what about braised mushrooms and spinach? I'm not sure of where to find a recipe for that, or you could even sautee them. Heat 1 tbsp. of canola oil in a very hot pan (pan must be hot before you put the oil it. This will help to create a non stick surface). Add two cloves of garlic and sautee for one minute. Add 1 lb. of fresh mushrooms and 1 tsp. salt and cook for 3 minutes. Deglaze the pan with 1 cup white wine and add 1/2 lb. baby spinach; cook until soft and the liquid reduces. All the alcohol will cook off.

litar 01-13-2011 06:47 AM

Yum braised mushrooms and spinach sounds delish!

Mmckellen 01-13-2011 01:53 PM

After I wrote that out, I decided I'm making it tonight!!

Heidi58 01-13-2011 04:06 PM

Before SBD my husband didn't think a meal was a meal unless it included potato, pasta or rice. :lol:

Do you like spaghetti squash? I do Kalyn's Hungarian pot roast and serve spaghetti squash and steamed green beans with it. We put the extra sauce on the spaghetti squash, (the way we used to put it on our potato or egg noodles). I bet that tomato/beef stock/balsamic vinegar sauce would be really good on the spaghetti squash too.

I usually do my spaghetti squash in the oven, but when I'm in a hurry I do it in the microwave and it's really quick and easy.

Usernametaken 01-13-2011 05:54 PM

Someone on here turned me on to "creamed spinach" (laughing cow + spinach + microwave), and it was one of my favorite p1 sides. I bet it would be delicious with roast

Lily In Bloom 01-14-2011 10:19 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I think I'll put them all into play this week, roasted veggies tonight, spaghetti squash with the the Hungarian pot roast, and the mushrooms and spinach with some thing on Sunday!