South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #16  

Height: 5'2

I understand how you feel because i didn't follow it to a t last time (had berries and some other fruit) but that doesn't mean you have to start again. I think i have learned this second time is that i have to get out of the mind set of 'i can't wait for phase 2 to be able to eat other things' because it will just drag you down and make the 2 weeks seem longer. I think the best thing to do is get to food list of the food you can have (if your not sure of anything check on here) then head to the supermarket, get the stuff you like and then find recipes. There are recipes in norman cook books you can use or modify a little. Also remember to eat LOTS of vegies and also get beans and diary into you as they make you feel full. Check out the Lemon Pie recipe in the breakfast section, i love it and it helps from sweet tooth. Also roasted chickpea's have been amazing and they are yummy.
cassrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #17  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I hope you start feeling better really soon. The fact that you're feeling cruddy is an indication that your body is detoxing. You'll feel so much better once you get through the detox.

It does get easier, as you get more familiar with the foods, etc. I kept my book on the table right by my throughout Phase 1 and even then I missed some things....

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

Welcome. I am kind of new. I am in week 2. I wouldn't worry about the sausages. Just move forward. I messed up the first week to. Plus, you didn't have carbs or sugar so I say you are good to go.
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/142/129

Height: 5'3"

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I read the book and thought I understood but there seem to be so many rules. I was also eating chicken sausage (I think the same kind as you!!) I had one for dinner two nights in a row. For me I don't really worry about the fat in foods (as long as they aren't trans fat). Fats have really gotten a bad rep (imo) and they help me w/ satiety. While I've gotten my fair share of veggies, a serving of beans and dairy a day I think I have had too much fat according to this plan. I struggle w/ feeling like I failed and starting over or just getting plugging away.

I second guess myself because weight loss is so gradual...I don't want to plug away thinking I am doing it right when I am not. On the flip side, I don't want to stress about the little things because I haven't had any of the "foods to avoid"

I feel your pain and thanks for starting this thread!! I wish I could offer more advice, but at least I can offer a "I know how you feel and you aren't alone!"
jms423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #20  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

In my opinion (and it's just that ) the simple sugars are a much bigger deal in Phase 1. It's about killing your cravings, so going off plan with grains, fruit, or sugar can impact how well the plan will work for you. Dr. A is a cardiologist so his concerns about fats spring from that. They may slow your weight loss but they won't cause cravings down the road.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 252

Height: 5'11''

IrishGirl - keep the faith! I've been doing this for one week, too - and though I've managed to lose 5lbs, I actually ate FRENCH FRIES half way through the week. An example of the sort of impulse eating that trips me quite often. But, you can't let it make you feel you've "wasted" all the other effort. Just resolve to try harder next time to resist the urge when it hits, and get right back on the horse!

I work as a personal chef for a man who has to lose 100lbs - we really do more Atkins than South Beach though I'm weaning him from it slowly. He doesn't even notice the crossover. I've got him eating veggie omlettes with salsa on top for breakfast, totally off bacon and sausage! I consider this a huge victory since he would eat a half pound of bacon most mornings! I'm eating right along with him at lunch - yesterday blackened salmon and a great mixed salad with caesar dressing that I make from scratch. For dinner, I ate a South Beach frozen meal, uninterested in cooking. But I often have another salad loaded with hard boiled eggs and chickpeas. I find staying away from the carbs very difficult, particularly sweet things - but, hey - that's the challenge. Just move your body (I attibute my success this week to walking my dog three times a day for at least 30 minutes) and power walking whenever I can do it. As far as thinking you "screwed up" - lose that sort of thinking. It's counter productive, and you'd be kinder to yourself if you just took one day at a time! I actually ate FRENCH FRIES on Wednesday! Insane! But, I made myself forgettabout it - and resolved to try harder to resist that sort of impulse next time! You can do it, IrishGirl! We ALL can!
LolaCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #22  

S/C/G: [url=http://www.TickerFactory.

I feel much better today ladies. Thank you soooo much!

Just some info.. here is the nutritional information on the chicken sausages I ate... I don't see that it should be that bad??? No sugars, 1 carb, and no trans fat and total fat isn't that bad for just one large link. I guess I'm wanting to know "Why?" WHy is this any worse than a Sirloin which is on the list?

Calories 110 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4.5g 7%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 65mg 22%
Sodium 770mg 32%
Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 15g 30%
Vitamin A15%
Vitamin C8%
Calcium6%
Iron
irishgal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #23  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal76 View Post
I guess I'm wanting to know "Why?" WHy is this any worse than a Sirloin which is on the list?

Calories 110 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4.5g 7%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 65mg 22%
Sodium 770mg 32%
Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 15g 30%
Vitamin A15%
Vitamin C8%
Calcium6%
Iron
Perhaps it's because of the high sodium content...I know, personally, that my scale numbers are not as favorable when I eat foods with lots of sodium. In fact, alot of times I don't weigh myself if I've eaten ham or sausage the day before. Now, I'm personally ok with that, because I've been following SBD long enough that I'm not emotionally tangled with the scale. The reality is alot of folks are and consuming more high sodium foods would slow down scale losses, especially on P1 where everyone seems to be looking for that drastic weight loss. Just my opinion, though. I don't have my book in hand.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #24  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Irishgal and by now I hope you are feeling a little better.I'm sorry that you are feeling so confused and unsure of yourself, but if you just hang in there and do the best you can at any given minute or day, I'm sure you will become much more familiar with this plan, and then it will get easier.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #25  
lanee

S/C/G: 225/215/140

Height: 5'2 1/2

I am new to the South Beach diet.. I was doing Atkins.. Lost 13 lbs..in 5 weeks.. But I like what SB can eat better.. I think it would be more to my liking for the long haul.. I weigh 212.8.. I want to get down to 140 lbs.. Need to lose about 75 lbs... Lanee..
Laneebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #26  
Mous

Lanee
LADY WINDSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 164/164/145

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and am on week one of South Beach, 5th day and I am STILL craving sweets like crazy. I think part of this may be because I am not drinking a lot of water?? I am frustrated, but will stick with it. My question is, does anyone know if blue agave nectar is allowed as a sweetener on SBD? I have tried looking through posts, but like I said, I am new (today!) and have to learn the ins and outs of this site. Thanks! P.S. I am glad you are feeling better irishgal76, hang in there!
LvnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #28  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Blue agave nectar is allowed.

And drink as much water as you can stomach.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

The thing that has been most helpful to me on this plan is understanding the philosophy and ideas behind it. I tried SB in the past and failed, most likely because I saw it as some kind of magic food list of good and evil. Now, I see it as guidelines to help me

1. avoid cravings
2. keep my blood sugar even
3. avoid eating too much fat
4. eat more vegetables

As a result of these 4 things, I can control my hunger, lose weight, and no longer feel like I am slave to every pastry I see. With that said, I don't always follow the plan to a T. I have chicken and turkey sausages quite regularly (Trader Joes has the best!), I will occassionally have pineapple on my salad during P1, sometimes I will have full fat dressing. I eat center cut bacon. I also eat regular ketchup with sugar in it, in small amounts. None of these things cause cravings for me, nor have they stalled my weightloss. If my little bit of pineapple caused me to want a cookie, I would cut it out. If my weightloss stalled for any long period of time or stopped, I would tighten up. But, because everyone is different, these foods haven't caused me any issues, and so I will continue to eat them.

Don't think of this plan as a rigid list of dos and donts, but more of a framework for healthy eating. If a food isn't causing you to crave things, isn't grossly unhealthy (think deep fried anything, etc) and isnt slowing your weightloss to slower than you are comfortable with, have at it. (in moderation)

That is, of course, just my 2 cents. What works for one does not work for all.

Last edited by SouthLake; 01-10-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Apparently, I am an atrocious speller.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #30  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I have been following "modified" SB diet - modified by me

If you have the cookbook; I LOVE, LOVE the black and white bean soup p.97. First time I followed the recipe exactly; next time I added some Italian sausage. The book says it makes 4 servings, but mine came out to 10 one cup servings.
Even without sausage, I found this soup very filling and satisfying. Without sausage it is Phase 1.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote