South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default SBD-Friendly (Phase 1) Packable Lunches?

I'm heading back to work/school on the fourth, which will be day 4 of phase 1 for me. I'm committed to a clean phase 1 and will be bringing my lunch, but I'm a little bit stumped to find easily packable lunches to bring.

I'd love to hear what you folks find the most portable lunches (and snacks) in phase 1!
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #2  
Beautiful Underneath

S/C/G: 220/211.8/110

Height: 5'4''

I was on Phase I during fall semester in college like 3 months ago (on it again, fell off track). So here I am (mostly) successful day 2! College doesn't start up for me until the 10th but what I was thinking of posting this same question.
The best thing I can think to do is take leftovers in a cooler type lunch bag. I'm beginning to think splurging a bit for a nice one so it keeps things fresh and cool.
For snacks almonds and peanuts are always nice for a post workout nosh.
Bellissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I am a teacher and we do not have a cafeteria so I bring my lunch everyday. For tomorrow I packed some cucumber and celery with hummus. For lunch I am having a "sandwich" using lettuce leaves, wrapped around turkey and low fat cheese and a small container of phase 1 friendly soup. My advice is to plan ahead, pack your lunches the night before,and always have some SBD friendly foods you can grab and go (like nuts, string cheese, or sliced veggies).
sarahsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/142/129

Height: 5'3"

I keep a stash of go-to snacks in my desk drawer at work and in my back pack. Individual servings of nuts, single servings of natural peanut butter, sugar free candy (just a few pieces for an extreme emergency) string cheese, seasoned pumpkin seeds and a protein bar (again, not the best but when you are busy running around between work and school that is better than fast food!).
jms423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

My go-to lunches are almost always salads. the toppings can be varied so much to accommodate whatever I'm feeling that day - black beans and salsa, chickpeas and hummus....always with a base of good, dark greens and lots of veggies. they are wholesome, filling and easy!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

salads. salads. and more salads.

That is the toughest part of P1 for me in the winter. It is cold and rainy and I want....well not cold salads HAHA.

We make a lot of soup in the winter, so I will be bringing that as well. If you have a good Thermos, you can try.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

I started the beach with back-to-school in August, so I know what you're going through. I made a big batch of soup or chili on Sunday and packed it in a thermos with a side of broccoli or other veg and hummus. Good luck, and expect to have more energy to deal with your students
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #8  
Be happy.

Have you got a microwave at school?

I almost always bring a small serving of last night's supper to school for lunch. When there are no left overs I'll make a quick soup (broccoli and cheese or the refried bean soup usually, because they're quick and easy and very yummy) so that I can have that for lunch(es).

My favorite school snacks are almonds or pistachios, celery, carrots or other veggies and laughing cow cheese or hommus, and cottage cheese or yogurt in the little containers.

Because of scheduling there are several days a month when I don't have time to heat my lunch. On those days I bring a turkey & cheese roll up or a cold bean salad.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the responses! I usually have access to a microwave on the wards but often no refrigerator. I've brought salads before, but without a fridge they get pretty gross by lunch break

I've managed to save leftovers from dinner (another good reason to skip going back for seconds) the last three days which I'll bring until Thursday! From there... well, I haven't planned that far ahead yet!
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8"

Freeze some water in a stainless steel bottle and use it to cool your lunch bag - and you'll also have something to drink when it melts. Ideas:
-sliced veggies with hummos or white bean dip
-nuts
-single serve greek yogurts or cottage cheese
-bean salads (not to many greens)
-lentil salad
-mozzarella, tomato and basil salad
-hard boiled eggs

etc. etc.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Agree with salads (there's some really cute insulated bags out there now!!), and soups. I have three soups made up already (tomato, moroccan tagine, and hoppin' john), and two more (chicken noodle and italian sausage ragout) in the plans. I love hearty soups...so filling and nutritious!! I'll freeze any leftovers, so they're easy to grab when I haven't been quite as productive.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

I'll try to remember to post the recipe tonight, but I have a peanut butter "bread" recipe which is really good and easy to pack.

It's basically egg whites, flax, ground almonds, ricotta (I use plain ff yogurt), and some vanilla. It's super tasty and feels like eating bread.

I also take slices of egg casserole, which I know there are many recipes for, but I eat it cold-which I've noticed other posters don't always care for
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote