Books

• I've seen a few of you mention good weight loss books that you've read and were able to learn from. So far I have Thin for Life on my list...what are some others?
  • The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by Dr. David Kessler was a real eye opener for me.

I also liked You on a Diet by Michael F. Roizen, M.D. and Mehmet C. Oz, M.D.
  • Thanks Debbie. I'll be looking those up at the library. Our local library has this neat thing where you can download books on tape to your iPod, smartphone, etc. I LOVE it. I listen to books at work now And I was really feeling the need for some inspiring weight loss related books...hopefully they have them on tape, we'll see!
  • Chicken soup for the soul: Weight Loss is a good one!
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
  • I have read all of those above except the chicken soup one, and I agree that those are all great choices. I loved Animal, Vegetable, Miracle! I love anything by Michael Pollan. The End of Overeating is very enlightening, for sure.

The books that have made the most difference to me - in terms of very practical techniques - are:

The Thin Commandments
    The Beck Diet Solution - I'm going to buy that one. I prefer the pink book to the green one, but they both contain approximately the same information. Behavioral skills to help you succeed on any diet plan.
  • i also enjoyed animal, vegetable, miracle. made me wish for a veggie garden and also helped me appreciate the ubiquitous farmer's markets and local green grocers.

i bought beck's diet solution and it certainly requires dedication but delivers
  • oh, not a weight loss book but very good:

fast food nation-eric schlosser
  • I watched Fast Food Nation...and Food, Inc. Wow....total eye openers. Made me glad that we buy our beef and produce locally. Now to find out how to buy chicken locally....that one might be tough
  • IMO anything that makes us more careful and thoughtful about our food choices helps. I know it really makes a difference for my maintenance
  • Not so much about weight loss as healthier eating, I liked "The Queen of Fats: Why Omega-3s Were Removed from the Western Diet and What We Can Do to Replace Them" by Susan Allport. Very enlightening!
  • Quote: The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by Dr. David Kessler was a real eye opener for me.
    Yes, that.

Plus any of the Beck diet books.