3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Sugar free yogurt (not plain) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/216075-sugar-free-yogurt-not-plain.html)

BelovedK 10-29-2010 01:13 PM

Sugar free yogurt (not plain)

I was looking for some and couldn't find any. Am I crazy and overlooked something that was right in front of my face??

What brands do you enjoy?

Petite Powerhouse 10-29-2010 01:17 PM

I don't think there is actually any completely sugar-free yogurt. There is lactose in milk, and fruit also contains sugar, for example. But there are many brands that are low sugar because they substitute artificial sugar.

Me, I eat Greek yogurt. It has less sugar without containing artificial sugar, and it has far more protein than other kinds of yogurt, too. I love that it isn't as sweet as other yogurts.

BelovedK 10-29-2010 01:22 PM

Thank you :)

I assume this is ok for P2 (I just started this phase)

I'm just so sick of eggs for breakfast.

BellaLucia 10-29-2010 01:47 PM

You can eat fruit flavored yogurt on P2.

TallandThin 10-29-2010 02:45 PM

I've never been able to find completely sugar free yogurt either and am using the Greek plain.

Usernametaken 10-29-2010 03:35 PM

FF greek yogurt with splenda and flavoring of your choice = yummy

CyndiM 10-30-2010 07:30 AM

The naturally occurring sugars in dairy and fruit are not a problem with South Beach. This isn't a low carb plan, just a healthy carb plan. We avoid added sugars though so most flavored yogurts are out. From the P2 Food list:
"Yogurt - artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt (limit to 4 ounces daily and avoid varieties that contain high fructose corn syrup)"

I don't eat artificial sweeteners but I'm sure other Chicks will have suggestions. I stick with plain yogurt and add my own unsweetened fruit, maybe a little mashed banana if I want something sweeter, or low glycemic sweeteners like agave, palm sugar or stevia. I know many Chicks do also add Splenda. That way you can control the flavor and sweetness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petite Powerhouse (Post 3543945)
I don't think there is actually any completely sugar-free yogurt. There is lactose in milk, and fruit also contains sugar, for example. But there are many brands that are low sugar because they substitute artificial sugar.

murphmitch 10-30-2010 02:25 PM

I also use the plain non-fat greek yogurt and add fruit or flavorings to it. I think the Dannon Lite & Fit is close to being SB compatible. It doesn't have any added sugars but does have small amts. of modified corn & tapioca starches.

rbp 10-30-2010 06:49 PM

I've been eating Dannon FF plain with some chopped walnuts and a little vanilla extract. That's sweet enough for me, but you could add some sweetener if you want.