Labour Day Weekend Beach Chatter

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Good Morning

It's a long weekend in the US as we transition into fall. I don't remember if our Northern neighbors get that extra day on Monday..

I'm dog walking, canning peaches and bike riding to the farmers market with a stop at the pool on the way home.(the usual) Mom is coming over today so we'll plan the rest after she gets here. I'm perusing recipes right now and may make a big batch of marinara while I'm putzing around this morning.

What's on your long weekend agenda? Stop by and say hi before heading out!
  • Good morning Debbie.

Looks like the weather has really decided it's fall in New England after a crazy late summer heat wave. It's cool and breezy and there are leaves all over my yard! How did that happen so fast?! I can still hear orioles outside though. This is bird watcher nirvana, migration season!

I've got a long list for my three day weekend, so much catching up to do. I plan to run the dehydrator around the clock all weekend. I want to get enough peppers done to switch over to apples soon. I'm also going to do some baking. It's been a long time since it's been cool enough so I'm excited. I'm planning bread and a mock snack cake, maybe apple spice.

First I am taking DW out to breakfast though. It's her birthday weekend and this will be our meal out. Tuesday we are going on a bird and whale watch, her absolute favorite thing to do.

We are counting down to vacation - just two weeks from today. Here's a peek at the house and the views from the roof deck
  • Good morning, Cyndi. I don't mind staying close to home and working on all of the food projects, but whale watching sounds great. Enjoy your breakfast out! I made a new "snack cake" which I really enjoy, and I'll post the recipe soon. It's an 8x8 cake which is mostly fruit with egg and a scant amount of WW flour for binding. I'm making a peach version today.
    ETA-Nice pics! Looks like a beautiful spot!
  • Hello chicks, I made it through the week. It's been a long time since I had to commute a five-day week, and it's exhausting!
    Lots of things on the to do list this weekend and today will be particularly busy. I just dropped off DD2 to work at the Lion's Club breakfast, then the kids both have riding lessons. DH is taking the car in for an oil change, then DD1 and I have hair appts., and DD1 has a birthday party this evening. I need some work clothes, so I hope I have some time to do a little shopping after hair. DH wants to go to the air show in Martinsburg tomorrow. I need to shop and do a lot of advance cooking for the week, and I want to finish my niece's veil and make her a little cape thing for the wedding. I've got to do some dress alterations too. And clean house. And catch up laundry. I'm sure there's more... yikes!

Good morning Cyndi and Debbie! I missed you ladies this week. I haven't been good and am thinking a phase I week is in order. Cyndi, your vacation spot looks lovely! I'm jealous, wishing for a vacation, but I won't be able to take one for a while with the new job.
  • Hi Schmoodle! I've missed you, too! Wow! You are making me tired just reading about it. Enjoy your long weekend and come back and visit!

Ok, here's the recipe. I came across it in a New Mexico cookbook and when I googled, there are lots of variations.

Harvest Torte Recipe
    "Harvest torte is a fresh and delightful dessert made with tart apples and walnuts or pecans. Baked to perfection the harvest torte is a true country dessert and is best served with whipped cream."

4 cups diced unpared tart apples
    1/4 cup agave (if desired)
    1/2 cup sifted WW flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon melted sbd approved butter substitute
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup broken nuts

Place apples in a mixing bowl. Sift together flour and baking powder and stir into the apples. Mix egg, butter sub., vanilla, agave and nuts separately. Combine all ingredients. Pour into a greased 8x8 baking pan and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, or until apples are tender. Serve with sbd approved whipped cream.

I cut the WW flour down a bit and it was acceptable.
    I left the agave out and it was acceptable.
    My apples weren't "tart" and it was acceptable
    I tried it with peaches and thought it was great.
    I served it hot and put a T of NSA ice cream on top and it was delicious. (meaning I think others not following SBD would enjoy it)
  • Good morning. Cyndi, those pictures make me miss our wee house in Cape Breton and I've only been home 12 hours. Have a great time.

Lexxiss, your Labour Day sounds anything but easy. I am going to pick up my darlings at the doggie spa mid-morning and may join you in the kitchen with peaches and tomatoes.

Linda and I had a terrific time in Cape Breton but won't tell you about the food! We did cook lobster a couple of times and it was absolutely wonderful. If you ever get a chance to drive the Cabot Trail, just do it. It was terrifying but well worth it.

Time for some black coffee - no milk n the house! - and then a soak in the tub with my book. I intend to keep this holiday feeling going until Tuesday when the Village slips into fall mode. Most of the campers and cottagers go home right after Labour Day and there's a hush around here until Thanksgiving weekend. A hush will be nice!

Enjoy your weekend.
  • Hi Schmoodle. I have been seriously considering a Phase I week as well. I have a major wedding next weekend but sure could do it until then. I think I'll do some menu planning and stock up when I go to pick up the doggage this morning.
  • Good morning!

I'm always impressed with how many chicks are dehydrating and canning and making use of the summer produce. My two SILs are doing the same and I wish I got the surplus!

I am sure we will ride bikes today. We have dinner out with friends tonight. No plans at all for the rest of the weekend. Except some blog maintenance I have been putting off because I am afraid things will blow up on me!

Have a great one all BBL
  • Good Morning ladies!

I'm up, I have my 30 minutes in on the eliptical and just finished my breakfast cheesecake. I did NOT want to exercise this morning, but knew I needed to before the kids got up and moving. I'm taking my DS for a mother/son outing today. I'm looking forward to some quality time with him. This weekend is going to be hard. I have a birthday party to attend on Sunday. Then, in the evening, we are planning on going to "Boomsday". It is a huge fireworks display. There will be tons of vendors with junk that I love. I will eat before I go and throw some nuts and cheese in my purse. No coolers allowed.

Well, off to get a shower. Everyone have a GREAT weekend!
  • The "hurricane" has passed and I'm headed out to see my parents in Cape Cod.
  • Good Morning Girls!

Jess: My parents live on Cape Cod too and I just spoke with them, Earl Schmearl! My mom was frustrated because she had to take in all of her plants which took her hours and it was all for nothing!

Ruth: Black coffee here for me too! My boyfriend and I take care of a lady with Down Syndrome (she lives with us) and this morning she used what was left of my creamer for her cereal She mean't well but now I have black coffee.

I have big plans to clean up the house and maybe do a little painting. I am getting ready to revamp one of the bathrooms so I may go pick up some paint samples while I am playing with paint. I would also like to pack up the boyfriend and puppy for a ride to Estes Park. My mother and I are planning a surprise birthday weekend for my dad and part of that is two nights at the Stanley Hotel (think the Shining). There is also a nice lake up that way which I like to walk around.

I hope you all have a great day!
  • 4 day weekend!! Now I have the chance to plan some meals, find some new recipes and go hit up Walmart and Harris Teeter for some big grocery shopping! Was anyone aversely affected by the hurricane? My county was supposed to get hit but it started moving away from us, thank god.
  • Good morning! I see that the hurricane really affected Nova Scotia and am darned glad Cottage and I got home when we did.

It's sort of hard to get back in the groove after such a relaxing and fun week so I'm glad it's a long weekend. The dogs and I are off to Church in a while and then may do some practice walking on the double lead. We actually should do it after dark because we look like some sort of circus act. Disney is out front walking in circles and Jazz is trying to stay behind my heel.

I hope everyone has a relaxing weekend and is ready to tackle September. To me it never starts until the day after Labour Day and then just disappears.
  • Just popping in to say hello before I head off to bed. OMG, this has been a hellacious weekend at work w/ several high-priority calls. It's been a long time since we've had a weekend this busy...I'm almost too old for this stuff anymore, ha ha. Not quite, though.

Anywho, off to get some slumber before I head out for my last day of work this week. Goodnight, all.
  • Wow, guess I'm not the only one who slept in today. I love the cooler weather - perfect for sleeping in, baking bread and making soup Right now it's perfect for drinking coffee and watching migrating birds. My idea of the perfect morning.

I've broken my To Do list into smaller more manageable steps. They're also easier to check off which makes me feel like I'm making progress. The number 1 task is still the dehydrator and food storage related things. However getting my work plan and space set will really help the rest of my life so that's up there too.

A bike ride or walk will be a priority. I've been really sliding with exercise and it's time to buckle down and make my health a top priority!

Ruth - So nice to have you back. Sounds like you gals had a marvelous week.

Natasha - I hope you get a little time to relax and regroup.

Time to get dried zuke into jars and then make my morning smoothie.