3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Why I refuse to buy a scale (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/210533-why-i-refuse-buy-scale.html)

MoEstrada23 08-20-2010 12:20 PM

Why I refuse to buy a scale

Hey Ladies,
So i don't own a scale i have been tempted to buy one but i think i will drive myself nuts if i had one i only weigh my self at the doctors.But I look at it this way until i fit into a size 5 i will have met my goal :) but fit into it nice without a muffin top. Then i will have to buy one to stay at that weigh of 125 so for now i am frustrated because i am not loosing weigh as fast as i would like. I have been working very hard. Anyways what are your thoughs on a scale? to me they are scary lol...i rather just own one when i reach my goal to keep me maintained for good..well thanks for liseting.

Fat Melanie 08-20-2010 12:39 PM

I think the thing with the issue of scales is, it's a very personal one. And you have to do what's best for you. Some weigh daily to note fluctuations and count their weight on a particular day (I do, for example. I weigh daily and count my weight officially on Sundays.) Some never ever weigh themselves and only go by the fit of their clothes. Some never go by weight, only by the size of their clothes. Some weigh themselves daily and freak out because of the natural fluctuations and get frustrated. Some weigh once weekly, maybe even twice. Some only weigh at the doctor's. And so on and so on.

Personally, I believe there is nothing wrong with any of these methods (well, except for the freaking out part. We must realize the natural fluctuations that occur all throughout the day, on a daily basis.). You have to choose what suits you the best. If scales freak you out, and going by the fit of your clothes & being weighed at the doctor's suits you best, then it sounds like a good plan. If you are contemplating home use of a scale, but they freak you out, maybe you'd be better off weighing once a week, or even biweekly, and that way you could keep up with your loss at home.

Also about the weight not coming off as fast as you'd like. There are many different factors. What are your meal plans? Also, people have varying metabolisms, some aren't eating enough calories, some may be eating too many calories in the form of something or the other, possibly not enough vegetables and exercise, age, even your weight definitely plays a role in how much you lose. But it will come off in time. The SBD wasn't meant to be a rapid weight loss 'diet', it's meant to be a lifestyle plan so generally I'd think, 1-2 lbs a week or so. For some, weight loss is even slower. For others, even faster. (I assume you know that, so I don't mean to come off know-it-all.)

I'll give you an example using myself:

I'm 24 and I've been OP for like 2 months now. Initially I didn't lose much in Phase 1, only 3 lbs, then suddenly 8 lbs came off just like that for a total loss of 11. My weight loss goes in spurts and stalls. Now, I'm still stuck at 11 pounds net loss... the scale went up a bit for a few days there, and now I'm still at 11 lbs, and it seems I didn't even lose at least a lb the past couple of weeks.

So, everyone is different and the weight loss varies drastically. Example: Someone twice my age might have lost more than that in a shorter amount of time. Why? Who knows. :) They may do more exercise than I do. They may have a better metabolism. Or etc etc etc. Someone my age may have lost more due to more exercise for example. Or someone my age or older may not have due to other factors... there's no comparison really. Someone my height and weight who exercises less than me may have lost more than me. And so on and so on and so on, those are just a few examples. Our bodies are all so different! With time, you'll see the weight come off. You may have just hit on of those annoying stalls! :)

Good luck. :D

zeffryn 08-20-2010 12:58 PM

well said, mel!

femmecreole 08-20-2010 05:11 PM

Mo, I'm with you, I hate the things. They lie and make days bad!!!

Mmckellen 08-20-2010 06:49 PM

Yes, yes yes. Best advice is to pick a pair of pants that represents a reasonable goal, and then go for it. Maybe a pair of pants you used to look great in. But the goal should not be just to button them, but have them fit comfortably. I get a kick out of being able to wear pants again even if the scale doesn't show a loss.

dcapulet 08-21-2010 09:53 AM

Mo, I have been going through this debate myself. Earlier in the summer, when I re-started, I did not have access to a scale, so I just did it without. Now that I am home, I can use a scale if I want. But should i? I still don't know, but I have promised myself to not use it at least until September 1st.

So I don't know myself. I like have the numbers, but I can tell better with clothes fitting where I am actually.

PinkHoodie 08-22-2010 01:24 AM

I have finally decided to only weigh in on the first of the month. I was getting way too discouraged by the scale. Every little movement would either be way happy or way depressed. I figure within 30 days I should have some type of loss as long as I am doing what I should be. I think its helping me focus more on health, making habits, and being more focused on how good I really feel and it finally has nothing to do with what the number on the scale says...
I also have shirts and pants hanging up on my closet, to remind myself what my next goal is.