South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default Tips for traveling

It seems like a lot of us are traveling right now. We're either going on vacation, taking day trips with family and friends or traveling for work. Being away from home and away from our safe food supplies definitely can be a challenge. It's easy to throw our hands up and eat something off plan, to blame it on being stuck. But are we really stuck or can we prepare ourselves better for these out of the ordinary but not unexpected circumstances? We've all had successes, close calls and unfortunate incidents let's share our tips and secrets to avoid off plan road food.

A few oldies but still goodies:

Making This Work in Real Life

Fast Food Guide
Eating out

What tips and tricks have you discovered?
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for posting this Cyndi. If the hotel I am staying at has a fridge, (and we are driving to the destination), I always bring hard boiled eggs, yogurt and cheese sticks. Plus I bring nuts and any other thing that works in a pinch. Otherwise, I just try to revert to cutting out the carbs and not worrying so much about fat (i.e., hamburger or hot dog with no bun).
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #3  
honeysox

S/C/G: 216/207/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Cyndi. Those are three great links.
honeysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I like to do a little research ahead of time and find what grocery stores, health food stores and restaurants are in town, that way I can find fresh fruit/nuts/veggies to snack on and eat at restaurants that have healthy choices. When I went to NC this summer, I brought my vitamix with me and just hit a grocery store and had some great smoothies to start the day with in case we didn't eat till later.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

We stayed at the beach all weekend and what we ended up doing was taking lots of fruit and things like carrot sticks w/ ranch (approved kind, of course) to snack on in the car on the way down instead of stopping for fast food. Eating out was pretty easy since there was tons of fresh seafood around. And I took a lot of bottled water and propel w/ me since most people don't fix their sweet tea w/ Splenda in the South. LOL
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm on the road and at an all day meeting in a restaurant today; on the road and in the car Tues. & Thurs; and off to my parents (6 hr drive) on Friday & back Sunday so I'll be living out of my car this week. In fact with the new job the Mon, Tues,Thurs thing will be constant. That's got me thinking more about how to plan for the different kind of travel days.

Today I've got a filling breakfast planned. I found the menu for the restaurant online and I know what my lunch choices are and what I'll avoid, and I have my cooler ready for lots of water, chia fresca and cucumber slices and fruit for the drive.

Tuesday and Thursday I'm really on the road and with someone else so much harder to plan. In the future I'll be alone and making my own schedule so that will be easier. For now I'll pack my cooler full of finger foods, easy to grab snacks and water.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #7  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I read this thread last night and not only do I find it to be a great thread as far as traveling, but as far as work and school situations. I made sure to eat breakfast this morning before leaving for college, and I carried a jar of peanuts with me (even if I looked stupid digging into a jar of peanuts, I didn't care. The options the school has in their vending machines is simply atrocious!) I'm trying to plan other snacks that I can bring along (similar to traveling, it's harder than being at home.) Love this thread, it really helped me prepare this morning. I looked at it as traveling, as in traveling outside of the home and being prepared.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-16-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote