South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Taste bud reform

I just finished a week of Phase I, and about halfway through, I realized that my taste buds were already changing -- not completely, but at least it's a start. I wonder if that's part of the plan? One usually reads that phase I cuts the cravings, and I'm sure that's true. My challenges are thoughtless eating, grab and go snacks, quick meals. It's not that I love sandwiches, just that they're easy.

I'm starting to slow down and actually taste what I eat. And I enjoyed the hummus and vegetables that's become my mid- afternoon snack. This is new for me. Are others experiencing something like this?

I've noticed, reading old threads, that many people who've stuck with this for several years are eating very differently now than they were at the beginning, or even when they reached goal. Any stories, or advice, on changing tastes?
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

That's one of the great metamorphoses of a clean Phase 1. Your body cleanses itself of all the toxins and cravings from eating bad carbs and sugars, and your tastes will change.

It sounds like you're doing great and having a successful Phase 1, Xan! Congratulations!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

My favorite foods used to be rich, creamy alfredos, globs of butter on bread and rich desserts etc.
Now the thought of a rich pasta dish makes my stomach turn. It looks like gloppy glue...ick
Your whole attitude and taste buds change for the better.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I think it's wonderful to notice the "taste" of healthy things. When I read your post earlier, I was having an orange for a snack and had just noticed how good it was. Yay! for healthy eating!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I agree. Healthy stuff tastes better when you eat healthy.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

Yup, you're right. It helps that this is not a "low fat" diet. Fat=flavor, and the fact that we can have healthy fats means that things just taste so much better. I now like my hummos and fresh red pepper afternoon snack so much more than a bag of chips.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

It's so funny b/c when I started SB I just *knew* that the whole "after the first 2 weeks you'll lose those cravings" stuff was just BS. But OMG, it totally works. Seriously, I went to the beach this past weekend and usually, when I'm there, I always have a sno-ball (nothing but sugar and ice), a drink from Wet Willies (sugar, ice, and grain alcohol), and some candy from River Street Sweets (I think that one is self-explanatory). But this time not only did I skip those but I also didn't MISS skipping those!!! And it's all b/c of SB. I never knew that I could give up my Pepsi, potatoes, rice, and my bread (OMG, I used to eat bread w/ EVERY meal and lots of it). And now I don't even miss it!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195.6/185.6/140

Height: 5'2"

This is so true. My mom boiled up some whole wheat pasta. We had been eating whole wheat pasta for the most part even before starting SB, so I like the way ww pasta tastes. I haven't had pasta for about a month and was really looking forward to having pasta. Pasta and sauce with meatballs or chicken parm are my all time favorite meals. But you know what? I only had about 3/4 cup pasta and was okay with it! I couldn't believe that I was able to only eat that much and be alright with it. I could easily eat 2 cups of pasta before SB. Amazing!
Jlyne327 is offline   Reply With Quote