South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Trying South Beach for health

Hello! I've been a poster at 3FC for nearly ten years. And when I first came on in August of 1999, I weighed about what I weighed last week. I've gained and lost 30 pounds since 1999, but I have not been a success story. I'm one of those who starts a diet with great enthusiasm and lasts one, two, at best three or four weeks. Then Something Happens and I allow it to derail me. I've restarted a diet about four times a year in the past decade.

But I think I've changed

Last week I had a very frightening, hour long episode of heart palpitations in the middle of the night. I went to the doctor the next day, and everything checked out, but it was still a wake up call for me. I'm 60, and if i don't get in shape now, I never will. I had read the South Beach books when they came out (I've read everything. Is there a fat woman who hasn't?) and never tried it because I thought I couldn't get thorugh Phase 1. The doctor suggested I start with Phase II, or at least add fruit, which I've done.

I've lost 5 pounds in two days -- but that's not the good news. The good news is I've had no trouble staying on this diet -- you could put a candy bar in front of me and I wouldn't care. The diet I've been on most in the past decade is Weight Watchers, and I used the points system more than the healthy eating guidelines -- my version was basically a 1200 calorie diet, very low in vegetables, with candy bars and sweet drinks added in to whatever point level I had at the time. That habit/take on things seems to have disappeared.

I've read this forum much more than I've posted on it (although poster pride makes me say that most of my posts disappeared during the various site moves and glitches furing 3FC's early years!) and seen so many people say that the most important thing is commitment. Well, I'm now committed. I get it. This is for health.

Sorry this post is so long. This is a great bunch of people, really serious, I thinik, about making this plan work, and I'm happy to join you.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

WELCOME, Xan!

South Beach is GREAT for kicking sugar and carb cravings, and it's about as painless a plan as I've ever been on. I, too, abused the WW points system to fit in way too much of the things that kept my blood sugar in a constant cycle of peaks & crashes. I'm on day 8 of Phase 1 and feel great so far! My mood has improved, and I feel good! I hope you have the same experience.
jrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Xan!

Sounds like an excellent wake-up call! Glad to hear of your success this week!

I didn't think I'd last through P1, but I figured anyone could do anything for 2 weeks, and I was right...actually it only takes one week (or less) for it to become fairly easy. By the second week, it's a breeze, IMHO. You can definitely do it...and I'd recommend it because I feel you really need to totally detox from sugar in order to reap all the benefits of SBD. But if you are craving-free, you may not need it. Find what works for you and then work it!

The thing that I thought about most while reading your post is whether you've ever sat down and thought about why you allow things to derail you and what you can do now to ensure it doesn't happen again. That's essential to success, I think.

I look forward to hearing about continued success (and better health!) for you!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180.6/see ticker/150

Welcome to the Beach, Xan! I too have started countless diets that only last 3-4 weeks. I'm so good and excited the first 2 weeks or so, then I'll have one bad day, let it turn into a bad couple days, and next thing I know, I'm off plan! My mom had quadruple bypass before her 50th birthday, and she isn't the only one in the family. Her cardiologist recommended this diet to her, and she is down over 30 pounds in about 6 months and feels great! She is quite the inspiration to me!

This is a wonderful place for support - as you know - so when you're feeling like you want to cheat - stop by here and I promise it helps!
Tryin2LoseIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #5  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks, jrizzle, Laurie and Tryin2LoseIt! It is a wonderful place for support. (As I wrote, I started with Phase II at the advice of my doctor, not because I couldn't stick to it, although that had been a concern in the past. He wanted me to have fruit until he was sure my electrolytes were balanced.) I have had no cravings.

So far so good!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Xan and

Glad you're here. Hopefully your medical condition will improve quickly as you settle in with the SB WOL. In many ways, I feel I have made more positive progress in 13 weeks on SB than I have in the past 10 years.

I think you've had an opportunity to read alot of positive stories on the SB threads, including mine so I'll not drone on. I will suggest posting every day.It will take time but soon you will know everyone on the daily thread. We are a really close group...and yes, in just 3 months I truly feel at home here.

I have to tell you that I had a very emotional moment when I read your post. I have had medical problems, too. As you will soon learn, I travel back and forth between two residences, and I love to swim and ride my bike. This morning I went to my Water Yoga class for the first time in several weeks. When we meditate our teacher always asks us to state our intention. I usually say to my self, "I want to be healthy". Today when she asked, I said "I want to STAY healthy". In 13 weeks I feel I have shifted from wanting to being. Its more than I could have dreamed of. BTW, I'm 51, and off blood pressure meds since starting SB.

PS-this is why WW doesn't work for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
The diet I've been on most in the past decade is Weight Watchers, and I used the points system more than the healthy eating guidelines -- my version was basically a 1200 calorie diet, very low in vegetables, with candy bars and sweet drinks added in to whatever point level I had at the time.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #7  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Hi,
Did your dr. check your thyroid? I had heart palpitations many years ago and they found that I had a hypothyroid and medication took care of it immediately.
Its pretty scary I know.
take care
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #8  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Debbie, YOUR post nearly made me cry. I can absolutely relate to that -- the difference between "wanting" and "being" is huge. Huge. I'm very happy this has gone so well for you, and that you are healthy.

Yes, I have been reading -- and reading and reading I actually started with the first post and made it to thread 350 before giving up. It was late And the last few weeks, of course. I have nearly all the names down, but not your stories. But I will!

Sophie, thank you for that. They did blood tests and thyroid was one thing they're testing for. I've been diagnosed with marginally low thyroid twice -- and once, the meds they gave me gave me heart flutters, so they stopped. I have an appointment with a cardiologist in mid-August, so I'll know then.

Thanks again, all, for the welcomes! You are a very supportive group!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Xan! We're happy you decided to join us and am thrilled that you're finding this plan so satifying. Isn't it amazing how much better you feel when you eliminate sugars and white flour from your diet? I hope you'll get a good report from your cardiologist on your next appointment!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome Xan! Hey, I did similar things on WW. I usually got the minimum of veggies and made up my extra points with WW chocolate muffins and the like. I am a WW lifetime member so I weigh in once a month to be accountable to myself and I'm always amazed at all the boxed treats at the meeting place with unpronounceable ingredients. That's all the stuff I'm not eating now and I've been able to drop more pounds and keep it off better than ever. Plus reduced my cholesterol that had been stuck over 200 for a couple years. Good luck and here's to your health!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #11  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thank you, Anne and Cottage! You all have been very encouraging and it's much appreciated!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #12  
Passion Fruit!

S/C/G: 201/136.4/115

Height: 5 ft. 1 3/4 in.

Welcome, Xan! I posted on your blog.
Sunny Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #13  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Xan
I did this for health too. After a lifetime of obesity my knees were shot, my bp was going up and I felt miserable. I was moody and tired all the time and I was only in my mid 40s. When my knees started acting up again after I'd already been told that replacement was the only answer left I knew I had to do something.

This WOL has made more of a difference in my life than I could ever have imagined. I did the 80s WW, the low fat thing (during the carb-arama phase), and lost weight in fits and spurts only to gain it and more back every time. Heck the first significant weight loss was when I was 12! I just kept getting bigger and bigger. I knew this time I had to find something I could live with. I promised myself last time that I was done yo yoing. No more plans that included celebrating reaching goal with a hot fudge sundae (yes, I actually did this once ). I thought I would just lose some weight but I really got my life back. I feel like I'm 10 years younger - I have lots of energy and stamina and my moods are much more even. The funny thing is once I got going it was easy too! I really think this was the right plan at the right time for me. It helped control my late afternoon cravings and I felt so good I just kept wanting to stick with it.

You can do this and you will be so glad you did! The focus on health really helps IMO because then the melting weight is a bonus. I never planned to be smaller than a 12 or 14, I just wanted to be healthy really for the first time in my life. But I do love the way my new body looks. It's a nice bonus I love being healthy and fit and finding muscles I didn't know were there. As they say at the pool - c'mon in, the water is fine
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #14  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks Sunny! I read you and I'll visit your blog today

Cyndi, your story is just like mine -- except I'm at the beginning and you've arrived Right now I am fiercely committed, am having no craving problems -- just habit adjustment problems. I'm used to grab-and-go food, especially breakfast (a commercially prepared yogurt smoothie for the past three years; 40 grams carbs ) I'm sure I'll make blunders, but I'll get there. I really don't want to give up this time.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome Xan! You'll love it here, I'm sure. This forum is the single best diet support you can get!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote