South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #16  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Thanks for the info, guys! I'm very very intrigued. They seem to be a nature's superfood. I read about the Aztec history using these seeds and I'm dying to try them. Here's an informative link for anyone else who, like me, had never heard of them before. http://www.naturalnews.com/024955_chia_seeds.html

So that's where the Ch-chuh-chia pets come from! Only they're so much more than decorative plants!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #17  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

wow, my post is so boring compared to all the chia talk. Thanks for posting info and links! I've had ground chia meal, but not the seeds. And now I have the "chi-chi-chi-chia" song in my head, thanks for that too. Oh my gosh - they have chi-chi-chi-chia Obama! among others (careful if you click that link, it has sound and you WILL hear the jingle )

Phase 2

B - "Muffin in a minute" with a tad of natural peanut butter
S- Nonfat Greek yogurt
L - "Garden medley" veggie patty baked with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
S- Tofurkey slices wrapped around lf cream cheese, chives, roasted red pepper and arugula leaves + some almonds
D- stuffed Swiss chard leaves, turnip salad (AMAZING scarlet turnips at the farmer's market - we eat them grated with olive oil, vinegar and a little salt), romaine lettuce, 1/2 of the one tomato ready from the garden
dessert - maybe nothing since we ate late

Not the greatest day, but OK. Not enough veggies (by volume), too much fat (tho it's mostly from nuts and olive oil)...
1406 cals, 26 g fiber, 35% carbs 40% fat 25% protein
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #18  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

must get back to planning.

Phase 2
B: almond milk, acai hemp powder & raspberry smoothie with a handful of spinach
S: tiny plums, edamame
L: white bean stew with veggies
S: popcorn
D: blueberry pancakes with veggie sausage, tomato & cucumber salad

Not enough veggies here. I tend to go heavy on the low GI fruit this time of year because the local orchards are going crazy
exercise: bike, in or out depending on the weather

Last edited by CyndiM; 07-21-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #19  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Phase II - as much as possible!

B. Fibre 1, ff yogurt, raspberries
L. Greek salad (feta, cukes, tomatoes, onions on lettuce) Ryvita
S. glass of skim milk and 8 baby carrots (doing Fair registration)
D. fajitas - leftover steak, peppers, onions and whatever
Old 07-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Phase 2 -

B. oatmeal w/almond milk, slivered almonds, & blueberries
L. veggie loaded salad w/avocado, chickpeas & goat cheese
S. Greek yogurt and a peach
D. either spaghetti squash w/marinara sauce OR baked zucchini topped with ricotta and marinara
S. bean brownie w/ff Cool Whip

I have a bag of chia stashed in the freezer that I keep forgetting about. I like to add it to yogurt to bulk it up and put it in smoothies. I think I'll add some to some Crystal Light pink lemonade to take with me today.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #21  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

B: smoothie (frozen mixed berries, whey, almond milk, 2 handfuls of spinach); coffee
workout: at least 60 minutes cardio at varying paces/inclines, 30 mins. weight training (kettle bells and balance ball)
L: greens & beans (chickpeas + kale), raw bell pepper strips, chia iced tea (filling!!)
S: greek yogurt, almonds
D: crockpot butternut squash lasagna (i'll post the recipe if it works out - it's just a variation of the phase 2 posted butternut lasagna), roasted broccoli and cauliflower

going to pick up some chia seeds today.

Last edited by zeffryn; 07-21-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #22  
Working on healthy

I like the idea of adding spinach to my smoothie but it makes it extra gritty (already a bit of an issue with hemp powders). Any tips from you smoothie drinkers (other than buy the $400 blender!)?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Phase I -
B - veggie and salsa omelet
S - mozzarella cheese stick
L - leftover London broil over big salad
S - chocolate cheesecake smoothie
D - cheeseburger patty, salad,
S - ricotta dessert

This menu is not inspiring me. We'll see.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #24  
beachin'

Cyndi - I don't have an issue with grittiness from the spinach. Do you use ice? I usually add my (frozen) berries, whey powder, liquid and spinach and blend the heck out of it for a bit, then throw in a handful of ice to break it down even further. It's super frothy and liquidy when I'm done. It might just be that I'm used to it by now, but I don't really notice any grittiness.

and yes, i totally want a vitamix.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #25  
Working on healthy

I haven't been using ice or frozen fruit because everything is fresh now. I'll try that tomorrow and report back. Thanks

I need to try this chocolate cheesecake smoothie everyone is making.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #26  
beachin'

When I use fresh fruit, I definitely use ice to break everything up and add a bit more volume.

on the chocolate cheesecake smoothie...i find it almost salty? i made it again yesterday and found that rinsing the cottage cheese made it much better. Also, the little bit of splenda or agave is pretty critical. Other than that, it is a good smoothie.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Cyndi, I can't believe you haven't made the cc smoothie yet. I don't rinse and I don't find it salty. I actually have added less and less sweetener until now I just add a tiny bit.
As long as we're talking blenders, does anyone have a recommendation? I used to have a cheap-o blender that worked great. Then I bought an expensive kitchen aid that worked terribly, and now I have a Hamilton Beach that worked okay at first, but now I have big ice chunks and only the bottom layer blending, so I have to stir. I don't want to spend a fortune though (no vita mix for me wither). If this is considered chatter, feel free to move me.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 07-21-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #28  
beachin'

schmoo, i would definitely NOT recommend a black and decker. We went through 4! of them before I finally just asked for a refund. We have a Michael Graves one right now that has lasted us 3-4 years without a problem. I use it very frequently - at least twice a day every day. It powers through ice pretty easily.

You don't find the cheesecake smoothie kind of salty? Maybe it's my cottage cheese. I'll try a different brand.

Drinking an iced herbal tea with chia gel. Kind of reminds me of the old soda "Orbitz"...I don't know if that is a good thing.

Last edited by zeffryn; 07-21-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #29  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Cute link, Emma! Lol

B- 2 eggs scrambled, 1 teaspoon smart balance.
Cup of lentil/tomato/spinach/veggie soup

S- Fresh raw red pepper strips with garlic hummus

L- Salad with tons of lettuce, with chicken, tomatoes, peppers, fat free cheddar, 1 slice of crispy turkey bacon, ranch. (Chicken bacon ranch salad!)

D- Almond/Whole wheat flour baked "fried shrimp" (will post if it turns out well)
Leftover Lentil/tomato/spinach/veggie soup.
1/4 cup leftover quick and easy chicken salad I had made for my son: canned chicken breast mixed with ranch dressing

D- Bean brownie, fat free cottage cheese and fat free milk

Gotta run to the store and get some more FF milk and cottage cheese. I'm all out and I adore eating plain lowfat cottage cheese.

Edit, I had a lovely chicken-bacon-ranch salad instead of chicken/green goddess. Also editing because I changed up my dinner a little.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 07-21-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #30  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Phase 2
Cleaning out the fridge day...

B- "muffin in a minute" with mixed berries baked in (I sense a rut coming on - I love these!)
L - taco salad with refried beans, a little cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, lime juice, a dollop of sour cream and salsa.
S - carrots/celery/pepper slices/broccoli/cauliflower with hummus. A glass of low sodium vegetable juice.
D - whole wheat/buckwheat crepes (haven't made this since I started South Beach - I'm thinking this recipe would work) with cheese, mushrooms and onions, side dishes of sauteed zucchini with almonds and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and steamed beets
dessert - nonfat Greek yogurt.

According to my calculations: 1467 calories, 27 g fiber, 29% carbs 44% fat 27% protein grrrrrr.... too much fat again, too much saturated at least. I may try to cut back on the cheese with the crepes tonight - I calculated for 2 crepes with 1 oz cheese each)
Closed Thread