Cornstarch?

• Is this safe for Phase 1? Thanks!
  • No, it should be avoided on all Phases. sorry. There is another thickener some people use. I'm sure someone will have suggestions
  • Arrowroot is an approved thickener on SBD. I'm not certain whether it is OK for Phase 1, but it's fine for Phase 2 & 3.
  • Hum...just curious cuz I found a recipe I would like to try, but it has 1 T of Cornstartch...it says that its all phase friendly...I hate when they do that....:P Does anyone else know for sure about Arrowroot?
  • The glycemic load for arrowroot is 76 so I would lean toward not using it on Phase 1 but that's just my opinion
  • would arrowroot be an equal exchange to cornstarch? 1 T = 1 T
  • Ok...thanks Cyndi!
  • as far as the recipe you found there is a certain amount of judgment in all this. Some people do feel it's okay to use a small amount of the "avoid" ingredients. I remember we had a similar discussion about wraps once. My opinion, and again just my own opinion , is that you should really try to make your Phase 1 as clean as possible. It really sets the stage and prepares your body for success with this lifestyle. Once you are settled in Phase 2 and craving free you can experiment with tiny amounts of some ingredients if you choose to. Just monitor your response so you can make adjustments as needed.
  • I totally agree with you Cyndi, 100%. This is my second time doing Phase 1, and the first time I did it, it was completely on plan. I had NO craving's in Phase 2 and I am positive that is why. I just wish I knew something else to exchange for it, so I could still try the recipe. Its a German recipe and my DH really wants to try it. Guess it might have to wait until Phase 2!
  • Don't know what the recipe is but, if the cornstarch is to thicken a sauce, you can do the same thing with an egg yolk. Stir a bit of the liquid into the yolk before you add it to the sauce and stir gently as it cooks and thickens the sauce.
  • Ground arrowroot is fine (I would assume in small amounts), even on phase 1, but it's a little expensive. McCormick does manufacture it, though. It's 1 of the ingredients listed in the teriyaki sauce recipe in the SB Cookbook.