South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Thursday's Daily Thread

Happy first day of July!

I'm savoring my coffee and contemplating the day ahead. It's supposed to be in the 70s today, and I'm thinking it may be a nice day to pack a picnic lunch and take our bikes to the park. There's a nice state park not too far from here that I haven't taken the girls to yet, and there's a lake that they can wade in, too.

Or, we can go to Aronimink and watch Tiger Woods play golf, LOL! Can you imagine what the crowds will be like?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Happy CANADA DAY!

Lots of activities around here today including boat races and a picnic in the Park. I plan to be out and about with the Doggage a lot today. Jazz needs more experience with people as he's still a bit shy. The folks at the nursing home just don't cut it for liveliness! I do have to make a trip back to one school who forgot to give me some schoolwork yesterday. Grrr! Next year I'll set pick-up date for mid-June. (Our schools run much later than those in the States and don't start up again until the Tuesday after Labour Day.)

I'm hoping to get my back deck power-washed today. I should take before and after pictures as it sure needs it. I'm hoping cleaning will make the old part look the same as the new part - right now it's almost black compared the the beige new wood on the new section. I have a mess of black currants to pick later when it dries up a bit out there. Yes, we had more rain!

Hope your Thursday is great and goes quickly so you can start to celebrate your country's birthday.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Yes, happy Canada day Ruth. I have cousins who live in Canada (Goderich) and you reminded me to send them an email.

I'm bringing food for one of the dinners this weekend, so I'll make it as SBD friendly as possible. Question about pita bread - is it lower GI than other breads? For some reason I feel I remember reading this, and part of my dinner will involve hummos, so it's pertinent.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Happy Canada Day, Ruth! I remember last summer I was there to celebrate it with you!

Morning, Matilda! I'm glad your DS is happy with his summer camp. I'm not sure of the GI count for pita, but I do know that the whole wheat pita is SBD friendly.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning

Cottage - I'd love to join you for your bike ride and picnic. I think we will plan something like that for the non-hot part of the long weekend

Ruth - Happy Canada Day!

Matilda - I can't think of any reason pita would be better than bread as long as it's whole wheat If you find any info please share We are hooked on flatouts and make chips with them for dipping.

I have my boring monthly meeting today and decided to attend by phone. The agenda is mostly announcements and process stuff so no reason to be in the room. I like to be there if there's a policy "discussion" going on because it's hard to get into those on the phone. I really hope that when the job dust settles this meeting will no longer be part of my hours.

The whale watch was great! We saw 9 fin whales, about half dozen humpbacks, a minke and a pod of dolphins, also some good birds. The weather was perfect, great visibility and nice temps. It was a good way to spend the day. A few miles from home DW saw a duckling wandering the side of a busy road. We stopped, saw no sign of Mom or water nearby and rescued the little guy. We called the state bird rehabbers (we are actually certified transporters for them) and a local farm that has ducks hoping we could bring it there. Sadly the little guy died not long after we got home. Apparently they need a fairly constant source of heat and have a hard time with lots of stress. I learned that duck mothers are not such good mothers and just leave if there's anything that scares them. Most birds will keep a parent around a separated nestling but not ducks. Poor little thing. There's no doubt it would have died if we hadn't picked it up so it's just sad all around.

I had a nice little whoosh this morning and have been doing a pretty good job of staying on plan (though the dried bananas are a very dangerous thing to have in the house). Now I need to really focus in on getting my exercise back on track. My June numbers are awful and include lots of days off. July goal - exercise every day even if it's only 10 minutes. Never doubt the benefit of going back to basics

Hope your Thursday is a breeze.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

Happy Canada Day to all our Northern chicks!

Ruth, enjoy your celebratory day out with the pups!

Linda, your plan for the state park which includes picnic, bike and lake sounds just perfect!

Matilda, I tried to look up pita, but energy is lacking here. I have always used whole wheat since starting SBD. Great job planning ahead!

ETA-Hi, Cyndi. Whales sound marvelous, little ducks not so good. I have tried before, too. *credit* for trying.

Me, not so good, but *credit* to Beck skills I seem to be gaining a more clear understanding that eating bad foods won't fix emotional pain. My dear Rudi dislocated his hip on our walk yesterday morning. We prepared ourselves for the possibility we would have to euthanize him immediately. Our Vet had a better prognosis, and we decided to trust her for the moment. She was able to put the socket in place, but if it comes out again she is far less hopeful. He will come home this evening and so we have a whole day to try to figure out how to make him comfortable for the next two weeks while he is three legged. I just can't imagine, but will try. Mom is doing ok and I'm glad that she doesn't have another Dr appt until Fri afternoon.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-01-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: maintaining

How can it be July already!?

Linda - I vote for picnic, bikes, and park over Tiger.

Ruth - Happy Canada Day! I think this is the first time I have ever had anyone to say that to The internet sure makes the world smaller.

Matilda - I don't know either, but when I was on vacation and got hummus, I chose some of the whole wheat thins to go with it (non-traditional, I know) and cut colored peppers. You could have it on veggies and do pita for everyone else.

Cyndi - Your post was such and up and down of emotion for me reading along! Congrats on the whoosh.

Debbie - Oh poor Rudi! Glad to hear mom is going okay.

For all you serious bikers, I really, really need a new seat. Any suggestions? (The one I have is a woman's design, cut-out center, gel, but the tender flesh over my sits bones is just killing me riding this season.) No bike today since I have physical therapy this morning. I hope she gives me something more advanced now. DS2 has his senior yearbook photo today, not to be confused with his senior portrait that we have yet to schedule.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Karen - I think this one is either the same or similar to ours. I call it my big butt seat but since reaching goal it's actually my no butt seat Either way it's comfy for long rides.

Debbie - to you and Rudi
Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #9  
Be happy.

Good Morning! Happy Canada Day!

Cyndi, I've never been on a whale watch, but I hope to get around to that some day. Fergie chaperoned when our kids went with the school several times as they were growing up, but I was never able to get a personal day approved to go along. It sounds like yours was perfect yesterday - I'm so glad!

Debbie, I'm so sorry to read about Rudi's hip. I'll be praying that all goes well with his recovery. How's your mom feeling today?

Hello Linda and Matilda and everyone else. I was a lazybones this morning and now I'm running late. I want to get a walk in before it warms up too much.

Enjoy your Thursday everyone!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Karen - I think this one is either the same or similar to ours. I call it my big butt seat but since reaching goal it's actually my no butt seat Either way it's comfy for long rides.
Thank you! I am going to check it out. I think from what I read online last night that I definitely need a wider seat. What I don't understand is why I am getting so sore this year when last year I got over it with the first few rides. Oh well.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning everyone,

Cottage have fun at the picnic

Ruth- Happy Canada day enjoy your activities

Cyndi- congratulations on your whoosh

Matilda- I think it has to ww pita for sbd as well

Debbie- sorry to hear about Rudi hopefully it won't occur again.

Hi Heidi

Karen sorry to hear about your sore bum- let us know if the new seat helps if you decide to get it.

As for me- I am in the same boat as Chelby weight wise- I did lose 9 lbs from removing Splenda but having mental issues with food. My tests came back fine still have the appt next week for my abnormal test. I am in a bit of funk, so sorry if some of my posts have been downers the mental picture from Friday just doesn't want to disappear from my mind.

Have a wonderful 4 of the July weekend everyone.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

from the land of lots of boxes!!
Happy Canada Day for our Canadian chicks!
Hoping to have some semblance of order (and groceries in t he house) by next Monday!
Kierie
Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #13  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Hello Chicks,

Debbie - so sad to read about your dog. Hope all goes well and that your mother is doing well.

Ruth - Are you out there seeing HRH.

Cyndi - that must have been exciting to see so many whales.

Hello every one else.

Sorry I haven't posted for so long. We went to Calgary to visit my little grandson and what a good time we had with him. The little family is staying in Calgary for now and my DD has left her job and my SIL is commuting to different areas of Alberta and B.C. I do love the Rockies and we spend some time in Banff and Canmore with my grandson. The trip there was planned with good snacks and meals but on the way back I caved in a bit and didn't weigh myself for two weeks, followed a 1.5 plan and to my surprise didn't gain any weight. We also went to Montreal for a few days. Want to lose weight for our trip to France but you know I will not stress myself out and set goals, I realize that losing weight is a lifetime commitment and not just for an occasion.

Right now I am nursing a big blister on my big toe and the dr. was mad with me for not coming in earlier, there is very little skin there and she said that its easy to get a bone infection. So no wine for 10 days because I am on antibiotics.

Garden is looking good here and reading has been good so far. Have to start thinking about knitting winter mitts.

take care
Sophie
Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #14  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everyone

Just talked to our vet, and she says Rudi is pretty perky and seems to have a genuine desire to live. He even stood up for a bit-3 legged. We got a garden wagon for the house with a plywood stretcher for carrying him in and out. He will be 3 legged for at least 2 weeks. I am going to visit him in 20 minutes and he can come home tonight.

Thanks for all your kind wishes. I need to eat lunch (OP of course!)
Old 07-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #15  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Debbie, I'm so sorry that you are going through such a rough time! I'm praying for your mom and Rudi.

I cancelled my subscription to the South Beach Diet site today. I wasn't getting any use from it since I tend to spend my online diet researching time here!
Closed Thread