Thanks for everything and changing my focus

• Thanks again to everyone for chiming in with words of support for me. I've decided to 'come back' to South Beach with a new and improved attitude. I am not going to weigh myself as an indicator any more. Instead (I was halfway joking when I wrote this last week, but it made more and more sense the more I thought about it) I'm going to use my waist measurement as a guide. I have an apple shape, which for me right now means my hips are only about 6 inches larger than my waist. So if I focus on my waist measurement, everything else is going to fall into place.

Right now my waist is almost exactly 35", which is not great. If I set an ultimate goal for myself of a 31" waist, I think this is doable and not only a good way to measure weight loss but also a healthy focus as everyone seems to be saying that a waist of 35" or higher is a health risk. So, here I go.

Anyone know where I can get a measurement ticker rather than a weight ticker? (edited: found one at Ticker Factory!)
  • I think that's a great idea!
  • Glad to hear you've found a way that will work for you! Here's to a new waistline.
  • I think the waistline measurement is a great idea! My weight fluctuates a lot, depending on fluid retention, etc. But when my waistline measurement increases, I know I need to be stricter with my eating.
  • Good luck!!!!
  • I'm starting South Beach tomorrow. At this point, no other diet makes sense to me but South Beach. I just can't bear to weigh and measure food, count calories, points, fat grams, carb grams, etc. anymore. I've done that all my life, couldn't do it for very long, and I'm still fat. I just want to eat healthy food. Period.

I also bought a book called I Can Make You Thin by Paul McKenna, which deals with overeating.