3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   South Beach Living Diet Bars? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/203977-south-beach-living-diet-bars.html)

Bensmom2004 06-07-2010 03:58 PM

South Beach Living Diet Bars?

Hi, has anyone tried or do eat the South Beach Living Diet Bars? They look incredible. I crave something sweet after dinner and was thinking that these may be the answer. What are your thoughts?

WaistingTime 06-07-2010 06:32 PM

I don't know these but have eaten the SB protein bars. I don't recommend them because I find they tend to make me overeat. But you may have more self-control than I do. I DO keep a few around, one in my purse even, for times I am caught away from home and really need a snack. But I now only buy my least favorite flavor.

I also like something sweet after dinner; years of conditioning I think. I have a sf chocolate pudding cup most nights.

Bensmom2004 06-07-2010 06:36 PM

Thank you for your thoughts...I was thinking about buying them but didn't read much about them here on the site. I think I will try some SF chocolate pudding instead! Thanks :)

RiverGirl 06-07-2010 07:36 PM

or try the frozen peanut butter cup from the recipe section... its rich and delish!

murphmitch 06-07-2010 09:38 PM

Most of us think Dr. A. sold out on some of the South Beach convenience foods. They don't support the healthy, unprocessed food principles that South Beach was built on. I personally could not stop with one, too much like the cr@p food I used to eat. :(

Mmckellen 06-08-2010 06:17 AM

I've never tried one, but when I did Atkins years ago the Atkins bars were my undoing. I think it's also a matter of trying to train your palate to appreciate simpler foods. Do you like the ricotta creme? That also gives you real calcium and protein.

Bensmom2004 06-08-2010 08:22 AM

I tried the frozen peanut butter cup last night!! Oh my Goodness.....it was just what I needed. I bought the peanut butter in the deli of then grocery store because all that it is is smooshed peanuts and it was SO GOOD! Thank you! Just what I needed!

Heidi58 06-08-2010 09:47 AM

I've done South Beach Diet twice and got to my goal weight both times.

The first time I had teenagers at home, my DH was working long hours and wasn't interested in fixing family meals ;) and I was working full time as a k teacher and part time teaching adult ed courses. I had way more ambition than time and we were used to eating snack bars/junk food regularly anyway, so I ate a lot of processed foods as part of my SBD plan, including the SBD snack bars and frozen meals. I don't remember struggling more with cravings when I ate that way, but I did eat a lot of SF jello, pudding, candies and sodas. I know it was a lot more expensive - but I was okay with that. I lost my weight and kept it off without much struggle.

I slowly gained the weight back (+ some) when I started taking prednisone and other medications a year or so later, and when I got up over 200 lbs again I got fed up and came back to South Beach. My DH is retired, our kids are grown and living on their own and I only work one job, so I've had more time to think about what kind of foods I want to eat. This time my focus has been less on losing weight and more on feeling better and being healthful so I avoid the snack bars, frozen meals, etc and eat more vegetables, fruits and nuts than I ever have. I spend more time planning and preparing meals and snacks now, but the longer I eat this way the easier and quicker it gets.

For people who have the time and the desire to stick to less processed foods, I heartily recommend it. I feel so much better eating this way and it's really much easier and more economical than I realized. But for those who don't or can't, the snack bars and meals are a convenient option.

AnnieDrews 06-08-2010 02:36 PM

Hi! I am not following the SB plan. I am counting calories, watching fat, increasing fiber and water, etc.

BUT, I did pick up some of the Whipped Berry Snack bars today and really like them. So far I can control my eating of these types of things. I have been looking for something to replace my beloved (:D) Slim Fast Optima Chocolate Cookie Dough bars that were discontinued. I plan to try their Whipped Chocolate Almond if I can find them.

The SB bars are 100 cal., 3 g fat, 3 g fiber and 5 g protein.

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/SouthBeachLiving/sbl/

For me and my plan, it isn't realistic to think I will never eat sugary treats again. I try to find reasonable things to fill that need for myself.:)