3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Starting SB tomorrow. Really. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/203868-starting-sb-tomorrow-really.html)

shutterbug123 06-06-2010 01:30 PM

Starting SB tomorrow. Really.

"I'll start tomorrow!" Hah, But really that's the plan. I'm going to a dinner party tonight where I don't think it's reasonable for me to try to deal with day one of Phase 1. But I'm getting ready to start South Beach Phase I tomorrow. Wish me luck please! I'm a little nervous about all the things I'll need to give up, especially at work when I'm so used to snacking on sweets (often raisins to satisfy my sweet tooth).

I'm going grocery shopping, it's going to be odd not loading up on fresh fruit to start a healthy-eating program! I'm definitely planning on buying some low-fat string cheese, and of course veggies. Any other ideas for good staple/snacks?

I don't really have that much weight to lose, but the trends are all bad, and if I don't intervene soon, I know where this is going. My eating is veering dangerously close to out of control, I'm feeling sluggish, and my waistline is getting bigger. Plus, I'm going for a checkup in August, I'd better be at least 8 lbs lighter.

I was doing Carbohydrate Addicts for awhile, it was working reasonably well for awhile, but the somewhat rigid daily structure (a salad before EVERY meal? Exactly proportional servings per meal? Carbs only once a day, even good carbs?) wasn't sustainable for me in the long run.

South Beach seems to make sense to me, except for all the suggested artificial sweeteners.

CyndiM 06-06-2010 01:37 PM

:welcome3: Shutterbug

Have you had a chance to read the book yet? It provides a good framework for the food choices on SBD.

Many of us use few, if any, artificial sweeteners so don't let that get in your way. The research is certainly mixed so make the decision that's best for you.

Getting plenty of lowfat dairy and beans will really help with Phase 1. Not only will you feel fuller, you will also have less trouble with the detox. I suspect it will be pretty easy for you after Carb Addicts though :)

This is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable and supportive Chicks. Join us in the Daily Chat and the Phase 1 thread for some extra support and accountability.

shutterbug123 06-06-2010 01:40 PM

Thanks, CyndiM! I bought and read through most of the South Beach Heart Program book. There wasn't actually all that much about the diet program in there, though, but enough to make me decide it was a healthy and sensible approach. Just took the original South Beach Diet book out of the library yesterday, so need to sit down and read that one.

fcmonroe 06-06-2010 02:50 PM

You need to get some almonds, cashews or other nuts for snacks. Just don't eat more than 15 per day. They made it much easier for me to stick to phase one, and I'm still enjoying them as snacks now that I'm in phase two.

Natalia 06-06-2010 04:49 PM

sf/lf plain yogurt, cottage cheese?
Natural pb on celery

If you don't want artificial sweeteners you certainly don't have to have them. I personally find it refreshing to be given the choice instead of bein g told to limit/avoid sweeteners and caffeine . hey, you only live once!

Gottadoit1 06-06-2010 05:17 PM

Me to. Really

Hi,

I'm starting Phase 1 tomorrow too. I've said that a few times before but this time it's for real! I have quite a bit to loose (about 60lbs). But I'm more focused on healthy eating than weight loss. So after the initially quick lose in the first few weeks, I'm O.K. with a 2 lbs a week weight loss.

I wish you luck!
Bonnie

tarheelchick 06-06-2010 07:42 PM

I'm definitely a fan of plain fat free greek yogurt. I especially like it after it's been in the freezer and gotten icy. I like the flavor, but some people put sugar free jello or other sweeteners in.

TeeRificT 06-06-2010 09:28 PM

I'm starting the Beach tomorrow too....I am nervous, but so ready.

shutterbug123 06-06-2010 11:51 PM

Nice to see others starting tomorrow too!

I'll be curious how your first days go, I'll try to post tomorrow also.

Thanks for the food suggestions. I bought some almonds and some walnuts for snacks. I used to eat mixed raisins and walnuts for a snack, but the raisins are out for awhile.

It didn't look like fat-free Greek yogurt was OK in Phase I. The book says low-fat cheese is OK but otherwise "avoid all dairy in Phase I including Yogurt, cup-style and frozen."

I'm still not sure what I'll do for breakfast, since I don't really like eggs (except as pancakes or French toast, and THAT'S not going to work) and I don't have time to cook a breakfast before work anyway. I'd be happy with a no-fat plain yogurt, berries, and slice of low-fat cheese, but looks like the only thing there that's OK for Phase I appears to be the cheese.

I'm thinking maybe cucumbers and hummus with some sliced cheese. If nothing else, I'll be getting out of my food rut for awhile!

lab2 06-07-2010 12:02 AM

Hi there - I'm starting tomorrow too! I've started (and stopped :o ) different diets so many times that I almost hate to "announce" it again, but after spending my weekend looking for clothes for a potential interview, I'm desperate to get back into normal clothes again. And I just flat out feel unhealthy - I'm almost too scared to go to the doctor until I lose some weight.

Hopefully SBD is something I can stick with for the long haul. I need to lose around 100 lbs (oh how it pains me to say that - I would have never suspected that I'd ever be that overweight!). I always seem to do great for the first month or two, then slowly lapse back into terrible habits once I see the scale moving. It's infuriating! Maybe posting here will be the kick in the pants I need! :)

Good luck!
Leigh

Natalia 06-07-2010 12:43 AM

shutterbug- up to 2 cups of nonfat /lowfat dairy is allowed per day in phase 1. I think you may have the oldest (outdated) copy of the book.
-skim or 1% permitted
-nonfat plain yogurt , no sugar added

WaistingTime 06-07-2010 07:04 AM

Welcome Shutterbug and Bonnie. And Leigh! So many starting today:)

I am not an egg fan either. I ate a lot of leftovers for breakfast, breakfast cheesecakes, mock french toast, cold cuts, and then I discovered beans for breakfast. I was eating canned refried beans with lf cheese on top until I found the recipe on here for the ones in the crockpot and they have been my breakfast staple now for months. A good mix of protein, carbs, and fiber.

shutterbug123 06-07-2010 11:25 AM

Ooo Natalia THANKS for that info. That is REALLY good news since I love no-fat plain Greek yogurt. Of course I usually eat it with fresh fruit, but I'll try it plain this week and I can add back my fruit in a couple of weeks.

I guess our library has the old copy. I'm waiting for the South Beach heart healthy program book I ordered online to come in the mail.

Karen, I never would have thought about having beans for breakfast :) I'll have to look into that.

Looking forward to hearing from Leigh, TeeRificT and Bonnie on how it's going on day one! Leigh I know what you mean about lapsing into bad habits. A lot of plans "work" for me in the short term but aren't something I can live with forever.

This looks pretty reasonable, I like the emphasis on discovering what foods are and aren't trigger foods for you, and the expectation that you won't be perfect forever with the plan on how to get back on track.

lab2 06-07-2010 11:57 AM

So far so good this morning, although it IS only 11AM! ;)

I cleaned out the fridge last night, but didn't have time to get to the store, so that's on the agenda for today. I really need to find a way to get more veggies into my diet - I don't like them raw at all, but like most of them cooked. Maybe I just need to grill or roast a bunch, keep in the fridge, and reheat.

I'm not sure if Splenda and the like are going to be triggers for me - I have a huge sweet tooth! I may try my best to make it through these next 2 weeks without, and see how it goes.

I do have the Supercharged SBD book (although I know the exercise stuff - I'm just bad about actually doing it!). And I just downloaded the summer cookbook for the Kindle (PC app since I just broke my iphone!)

Hope everyone is having a great Monday!

sweetlovin 06-07-2010 12:37 PM

I found SBD to be the diet i was the most successful on but definitely the hardest. I'm not sure I am ready to start this again any time soon but if I had to go on a diet, this would be it. I know I had a lot of trouble with lunches during phase I especially being busy and eating lunch in high school. I'm graduated now so it should be easier in that regard.

Anyway I wish all you guys the best of luck!