South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 168/155/135

Height: 5'10

Welcome, welcome to all of you starting today. Just stay strong through the first few days, and it will get easier.

Waistingtime - I think I might try some beans for breakfast. I'm in the mood to change it up a little bit from my usual "muffins." Thanks for the suggestion. I'm the least creative breakfast person ever.
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #17  

Glad to hear it's going well so far, Leigh! Same here. It was strange not having my usual cereal and fruit this morning. I ended up with sliced cucumber, hummus, low-fat ricotta and some low-fat cheddar slices. It was definitely interesting trying something new.

Counted out some almonds and walnuts for a morning snack, about to have my salad with turkey breast and homemade dressing.

What I'm concerned about is my usual mid-afternoon sweet snack. I've got a packed low-fat string cheese, hopefully that'll do the trick.

It's always interesting to experience the difference between "normal" hunger and cravings triggered by blood sugar swings. I don't love being hungry, but being moderately hungry is certainly tolerable compared to those sugar cravings. I'm really jazzed about "detoxing" the junky carbs and getting that out of my system.
shutterbug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #18  

Hi Shutterbug!

Well, I survived today just fine - hope you did too! I made the Taco Bake for dinner, and DH and DS both gobbled it up. DS questioned the "black spots" (mushrooms), but I just pretended I thought they were beans or meat. Think I could do better about getting more veggies in - hopefully things will improve tomorrow.

I haven't been hungry all day, so that's a good sign. Much easier to stay on track when you're not legitimately starving!

I bought some Planters single-serving packs of nuts (SBD approved - it said so right on the package! ) - cashews, macadamia nuts, and almonds.

I need to detox from the carbs too - I'm still waiting on the cravings to hit.

Hope tomorrow is great for you!

Leigh
lab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #19  

Hi Leigh! I survived day 1. Besides a very short but intense craving for a slice of pizza I did fine. I made a tuna & bean salad for dinner last night: tuna, sliced red onions, basil, garlic, olive oil. cannelini beans. Then I made some gazpacho for today. The most difficult thing for me was all the time needed to go shopping and prepare food on top of working full time. It's so much quicker to just do takeout.

I've also ratcheted up my exercising, not so much to lose weight faster, but I'm very concerned about not losing muscle and bone during a phase of (hopefully) rapid weight loss. So I was pretty tired by end of day!

Had sliced cucumber, sliced green pepper, low-fat cheddar and low-fat ricotta cheese plus a tiny bowl of gazpacho for breakfast this morning. That's a VERY odd breakfast for me compared to my usual cereal and fruit. But it was satisfying. I was very surprised that I liked the pepper. Usually I don't like green pepper much, only red, but I had some leftover from the gazpacho so tried it. I'm hoping my taste buds are reprogramming.

I know I'm not supposed to be weighing every day, but I like to look at 7-day averages as well as a single day's weight, so I don't get discouraged if there's some sort of odd spike. I was surprised and thrilled to see I was down 1.2 lbs from Sunday!

Hope today's great for you too!
shutterbug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 198/188/150

Height: 5'6"

I actually just started Sunday too! Its been a killer let me tell ya! But I'm hanging in there..

I've never really been on a diet diet, like South Beach, but I REALLY need to lose weight. Mostly for my own self but also for a bit of health issue too. Diabetes runs big in my family and I'm in line to get it soon and had it when I was pregnant so I figured why not start now. Plus my husband lost tons of weight when he went into the Marines in January, so I wanna look good for him too. I probably have around 50-60 lbs to lose for my height and stuff but I will definitely be happy with 40 lbs or so..

I have been browsing the receipe section during my slow times at work and found TONS of great ideas. I am actually getting excited about being on this diet because there is soo many choices. I've never really been a cook but reading all of the receipes makes me wanna just get hopping in the kitchen.

Good luck to everyone!! Can't wait for this adventure to begin...

Teresa
talvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #21  

Hi Teresa!

Well, I have to confess that I slipped a bit yesterday (was starving at night, and had 2 graham crackers with PB ), but got right back on track today. I am still hungry at night, but just can't stomach the thought of eating raw veggies. Ugh. I think it's a combo craving / hunger - stomach is growling, but I just want to eat junk. Better to just tough it out I suppose!

One thing that got me back on track was knowing that I wanted to check in here, and I at least wanted there to be an upside to my confession! Oh, and I lost about a lb. too. So, there's that!

Hope you all had a great Wednesday!

leigh
Old 06-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #22  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

hi Leigh,
you don't have to suffer with raw veg at night!!

have you tried the roasted chickpeas? They are okay for snacking.
What about nuts?
crispy pepperoni's with pizza sauce?
cottage cheese, au naturel or with yogurt?
ricotta cremes? I had these like everyday in P1..and if you don't like the texture, some brands make it totally smooth. My favorite is the vanilla one; to me it tastes just like the sweetened mascarpone in tiramisu. Yum.
PB cup from recipe section?
Fried zucchini's?
sf jello and cool whip? add a slosh of yogurt for some extra substance.

Good luck!!! If you give yourself some exciting yummy pm options, it makes P1 so much easier , imo. (I don't wanna snack nonstop on raw veg either )
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 165/155.6/140

Height: 5ft. 6in

Leigh,
Good for you at getting back on track!! LOL I can so relate to not wanting to snack on raw veggies! I went into the track of always having cooked veggies or left overs which I brought for lunck. Having grilled veggies on had was so nice, could whip them into an omlette or just eat a few. I have also discovered the small peppers that are sweet that are so good with hummus. At night if I crave I do the ricotta or yogurt, keep at it. The longer I have gone on with SB the more I am enjoying raw vegetables now. I can look a salad in the eye if there is cottage cheese on it!! One of my favorites at present is cottage cheese, tomatoes, basil drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Hang in there, there is an end to phase 1!!!
luckontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #24  

Awww - you two are so sweet! I know I didn't have to have raw veggies, but I was in one of those moods where nothing sounded good except things I shouldn't be having. The cravings hit last night too (and oddly enough, I wouldn't have considered myself a big night time snacker before starting SBD), but I was fine with a SF Pudding. I've been having nuts and such for a snack - I think I need to come up with better snack options that don't require preparation, but also fulfill a craving. The pepperoni / sauce idea is great - I'll definitely be stealing that idea!

I haven't tried roasted chickpeas - I'll look those up! Oooh - found a recipe on Allrecipes, and I'm going to hop up and make some now! Those would be perfect! I'll look up the ricotta cremes too - which brand of ricotta do you like? I usually have a texture issue with ricotta (and yogurt, and cottage cheese), but I can overcome!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #25  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab2 View Post
I'll look up the ricotta cremes too - which brand of ricotta do you like? I usually have a texture issue with ricotta (and yogurt, and cottage cheese), but I can overcome!
Store brands are yucky! Frigo or Sargento here taste much better.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Store brands are yucky! Frigo or Sargento here taste much better.
Gotcha! I think I picked up Sargento, so hopefully it will be decent.

Off to bunco - eek!!! My first real test, surrounded by friends and wine and food and wine and margaritas. I ate dinner (OP) already, so hopefully I can resist. I WILL resist!

Leigh
Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #27  

I resisted! Just stuck to diet caffeine free coke all night, and got some encouragement from my bunco buddies too. Gotta love that!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #28  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

the roasted chickpeas are right here in SBD recipes- probably under phase 1 snacks. I just tossed mine with a very small amt olive oil, then sprinkle with your favorite blend of spices (I used St Hubert's chicken seasoning)and bake until crispyish. They shrink quite a bit though so watch you don';t have too many at a sitting!

eta: the ricotta creme, my favorite is the vanilla, just take some ricotta ans add granular splenda and a bit of real vanilla. Very satisfying!!!! There are many variations, with diferent extracts, zests, I tried the chocolate PB one and it wasn't nearly as good to me as the vanilla. for choc/PB the peanut butter cup recipe on here is yum.

I live in Canada so our brands are differnt, I think there's TreStella, and Cremera.

Last edited by Natalia; 06-11-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: ricotta creme
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 165/155.6/140

Height: 5ft. 6in

Leigh,
If you can survive Bunko temptations you can survive anything. Not having wine at my GF events was most challenging the first two weeks. Good for you!! We went out for my bookclub and everyone knew I was on SB so they let me have the last order of fish and salad the place had while they took it on the chin with sandwiches and tacos! A lette helped end the night like a treat! GF can help!!! enso???? Lisa
luckontherun is offline   Reply With Quote