South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 AM   #1  

Default need a chicken recipe for tonight

Im going to search the site and the net but thought one of you may have a favorite. last week, I made the taco and salsa chicken but would like to do something with veggies maybe..phase 1
Fluffymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love chicken cacciatore. I make it in a crockpot or in a dutch oven on the stove (or a casserole dish in the oven). I use more water on the stove top, but otherwise the recipes are essentially the same.

Chicken pieces (bone in, boneless doesn't matter. I do usually remove the skin). I like to use thighs because they're more forgiving of overcooking. Chicken breasts can dry out and get tough. This usually is more of a concern when using the crockpot.

veggies (any or all of the following cut into bite-size pieces or thin slices: onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, eggplant/zucchini/summer squash, even green beans). I like a lot of veggies so often the volume of veggies is larger than the volume of chicken. When hubby makes it, the veggies are about half the volume of chicken.

1 jar of spaghetti sauce (check to make sure the ingredients are South Beach friendly). Or I will use tomato puree and italian seasoning and garlic. If I use tomato puree, I will omit the water and cook longer.

1/4 jar of water (if I cook it on the stovetop I will add more water or add water as needed).

Put everthing in the pot, crock, or casserole dish

Oven: Bake at 350
Stovetop: Reduce to simmer (bubbling, but not spitting tomato lava)
Crockpot: low or high

Simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender (I usually let it simmer longer - until the chicken is falling off the bone).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #3  
Be happy.

I do a lot of chicken stir-fries, they're tasty and quick, and pretty inexpensive if you use frozen veggies. There are just 2 of us so I use 1 chicken breast (cut into small pieces), one bag of stir fry veggies (I get our grocery store brand) and a little teriyaki sauce. You can buy sugar free teriyaki, but I usually just mix up my own with the recipe from the South Beach cookbook.

Our favorite chicken stir fry is a little more expensive but so good - I use the chicken breast, 2 red peppers cut into strips and a box of frozen snow peas. So yummy!

* Oops! I've been thinking about this and I realized that SF teriyaki is not Phase 1 friendly. I used low sodium soy sauce when I was on phase 1. It's also really good with sesame oil, but I only discovered that a month or so ago after buying it to make Crack Slaw. I go with the teriyaki most of the time because that's what my DH likes best.

Last edited by Heidi58; 04-17-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Just thought of something. :)
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

I also do lots of stir fries. You can make crack slaw with chicken. And this is a favorite in our house: Zesty Chicken with Black Beans
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/165/140

Height: 5'5"

You can do a chicken divan with lots of broccoli, reduced fat mayo, LF or FF sour cream, and low fat cheese. Sometimes I add spinach to it too, it's really good. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...ken-divan.html
ChelseaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #6  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Tonight I'm having a chicken breast topped with refried beans, garlic lime salsa, and a bit of very reduced fat cheese. (Pared with a side salad and mustard greens.)
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #7  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

I like to cube up chicken breast and season with something spicy like Yikes Seasoning
Add cubed zucchini (about 4 small ones) two cans of stewed tomatoes (the smaller cans.. what are they 14 ounces?) and sometimes some chickpeas

Last edited by KicknKnit; 04-19-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: # of zucchini
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote