South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Getting discouraged on Phase 1

Hey you guys - I am getting frustrated. I lost 4 lbs my first week on Phase 1. Awesome! I was so excited. But now I'm almost done w/Phase 1 (Easter Sunday will be my last day, I definitely didn't plan that well! LOL) and the loss has STOPPED. I haven't gone down a single ounce since that first few days. I haven't cheated once, and I'm drinking a ton of water and exercising.

Now I'm afraid that when I start Phase 2, I'm going to gain. If I'm not losing now, then what's going to happen when I start adding carbs back?

Am I freaking out prematurely? Did anyone else have this happen during Phase 1? Please reassure me, because I really want to stick with this plan, but I need to have faith that it's going to work!
ChelseaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

This is very, very common. I have done a clean PH1 three times and two of those times only lost in the first week. My opinion is that your body is catching up with the scale and that a lot of the first drop is water. And you are like me in that you don't have a lot to lose... so you may find it comes off very slowly. But it will come off! And try measuring too as you go along; sometimes the scale doesn't tell the whole story.

Hang in there!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I did nearly the same thing. I dropped 6 pounds on week one, and gained a pound on week 2 for a net of 5. It was horribly discouraging after such a rapid drop. But, I kept plugging, and continued to lose (on average) 1/2-1 lb a week, which was ideal. I felt good about myself because I was eating healthy! (and felt soooo much better than I used to)

Good luck! Stick with it, and stick with 3FC!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

I think you'll be fine, Chelsea. We're all different and our bodies make adjustments accordingly. In my opinion, Easter is a fairly easy holiday to make food adjustments for, too. I know, easier said than done, but don't be discouraged!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone - that was exactly what I needed to hear! I keep telling myself it WILL happen, even if it doesn't happen as fast as I want it to.

For Easter we're staying home, which makes it much easier to stay on plan. I have a healthy dinner planned, with one exception - my husband (who's kinda sorta doing SBD with me) insists on mashed potatoes with his roast beef this time. But I'm not eating any! And for DS's Easter basket I made sure to get candy I don't like so I won't be tempted.

Thank you so much for the encouragement, I have recommitted myself to stick with this as long as it takes!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/189/150

Height: 5'5

Chelsea... same exact thing happened to me... actually mine was more 3 weeks.. i was so ready to throw the towel in till last Friday i took my measurements.. i lost 2 inches in belly and hips..

I so have to agree with the others that the scale isnt only way to judge your weight loss.

how are you clothes fitting? do you feel better?

Dont sweat the scale babygirl.. it was made a by a man and its evil..

take your measurements for April you will see results..stay here with us... vent thats what we are here for...

LOL i am talking like i know what the heck i am talking about.. i am newbie too
Susanisamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Chelsea-do a search of the FAQ thread and in here. Many stall in week 2 and into Ph2. Just remember that it *WILL* all catch up - whether you stay OP or go off
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #8  
Motivated for Success!!

Height: 5'7"

You said you are exercising so maybe you are gaining some muscle? As other suggested I would definitely take measurements! Don't get discouraged... It will all eventually come off!!!
KellyEnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #9  

Kelly, Maybe I am gaining muscle, but I'm doing the same exercise I was before starting SBD so I don't know. That would be awesome!

Susan, I haven't lost any inches either. I hope that's coming soon though. Congrats on losing 2 inches, that is fantastic!

Jenn, Thanks, reading about others who have had the same issue and stuck with it helps a lot. I shouldn't be surprised, because I have never lost quickly. I was hoping this time would be different, but oh well. Keep on keeping on!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/189/150

Height: 5'5

Chelsea...

shake your excerise up. add something different or add more time..that helped me bust my plateu..

dont give up... we are all here for you...
Susanisamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #11  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I always have to remember that it takes twice as long to come off as it did to put on
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Chelsea
Have you tried http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side...liflower.html??

My DH prefers it over mashed potatoes now. Easter may not be the time to try, but it would be interesting to have his opinion.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #13  

Ooh, that looks delicious Debbie! Thank you, I'm going to have to try that. Too bad I already bought DH his red potatoes for tomorrow.

Jenn, Depressing as that is, it's so true.

Susan, Great idea to shake up my exercise. I've been meaning to add something different.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #14  

So I got on the scale this morning (I weigh every day, bad I know) and was down TWO POUNDS! I couldn't believe it. Talk about motivation to stick to my guns even on a holiday!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaW View Post
So I got on the scale this morning (I weigh every day, bad I know) and was down TWO POUNDS! I couldn't believe it. Talk about motivation to stick to my guns even on a holiday!
Congratulations! That's AWESOME!

Yeah.... the weighing every day is probably not a good thing... especially if you aren't able to accept the natural fluxuations that you'll see on the scale without getting frustrated.

I actually weigh once a week and haven't had a problem doing that this time around, but last time I was on the beach I was so obsessed with the scale that I asked my DH to hide it from me.... Hey... desperate times... it worked...
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote