South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/268/160

Height: 5'4

Default New here..

Hello everybody. My name is Michelle and I am 24 years old. I have been trying since I was sixteen to lose weight and feel so sad to say that I have been failing miserably!! I've tried everything in the world (besides surgery) to lose weight and I do, but I gain it back quicker than I lost it. I'm hoping that the south beach diet will help me to lose and keep it off. This is my first week on the diet (I started friday) and I also attend a support group called TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly). I plan on staying on Phase 1 for probably 2 months as I have a significant amount of weight to lose (100lbs!) So, any yummy delicious recipes are welcomed.
isoloveyouxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi Michelle, welcome! Your stats are similar to mine - I'm 25 with 100 pounds to lose. I was on phase 1 for a month at my doc's recommendation, and now I'm still on it, sort of, but adding in fruits every so often. I've lost 20 pounds so far, and after the first week's big loss I've been losing an average of about 2 pounds a week. SBD is great if you stick to it, and the people on this forum are huge motivators!
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Michelle. Nice to have you here. It is an amazing place full of amazing women and the occasional man or two. There are great recipes in the sections above. Check them out.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/136/125

Height: 4"11'

Hi Michelle
Welcome. This is a great place to be. All the recipes on the board are so yummy. I highly reccommend the taco bake, black bean brownies, peanut butter cup dessert, spaghetti squash deep dish pizza, and sausage egg cups.
Maryjaneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/268/160

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the welcome ladies! I have been trying to follow this the best I can and hopefully it will help me! i found the recipes section and everything looks so good.
isoloveyouxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

, Michelle! You sound like you're ready to get serious about losing weight and keeping it off, and you've come to the right place for encouragement, support and motivation to keep going. We have a great group of Beachers here, and everyone will be willing to answer any questions you may have and cheer you on. We're happy to have you joining us and look forward to getting to know you.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Michele! The best advice I can give you is to post every day on the On Plan thread, it really helps you to plan and focus on your food. And, people here are available to answer any questions or just chit-chat for the heck of it.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #8  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Glad to have you, Michelle!

There's nothing really magical about Phase 1 except that it helps to even out your blood sugar and allow you to figure out what foods cause cravings, so you can modify your diet and eliminate things that will cause you to want to eat more. You really shouldn't stay on a strict Phase 1 for longer than two weeks without a doctor's approval, so make sure everything would be A-OK for you. Living with such a restrictive diet can sometimes backfire because you might overeat later on since you waited "so long" to have x/y/z. South Beach is a way of eating that encourages slow, sustainable weight loss, so don't get discouraged if you don't see huge changes in the scale. Know that the loss that you do see will stay off if you stay on plan.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Michelle and

I really love SBD! It has made such a difference in my health and my outlook on eating and "dieting". As long as I stay OP, I am free of the constant cravings which I used to deal with constantly, which ultimately derailed my weight loss efforts.

Since you have a lot of weight to lose, I would really suggest that you not stay on P1 for 2 months. The good news is if you transition into P2 very slowly (instead of following a strict P1), you will continue to lose quite steadily, and I think your WL journey will be more sustainable.

Good for you doing this while you are young. Many of us have battled this for years before finally realizing that the our only way to lose weight and keep it off is to combine a healthy diet with regular exercise.

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #10  
Be happy.

Hello Michelle! It's great to have you here.
I'm looking forward to getting to know you.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Welcome Michelle. I have more to lose than you and I did P1 for just 2 weeks.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Michelle! I echo all that the chicks said -especially about transition to Ph2 after 2-4 weeks. I know I have huge Diet Fail when I get bored of foods and am restricted for toooo long. Introducing whole grains and fruits back into your diet will help keep this more of a way of life and living, not a diet.

We're here if you need us remember to check out the recipes and the threads and post often !
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote