South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Default My husband inquired about SB last night......

Hello everyone,

My name is Tammy and I don't want to "barge" into your threads but my husband's health is at stake, so I am sure you understand.....

I have lost my weight by exercising A LOT and doing WW, but it is a little hard for him. He is in law enforcement and gets little to no exercise (he is just starting to walk on the treadmill). He is a big guy and needs to lose probably 100-150 pounds. I don't care about the vanity part of it.... but I sure don't want him to die b/c we have searched so long for each other. I did not marry him to change him, but he is dropping hints that he wants to change (I think when I announced my 90pounds lost something clicked in him). So, last night he said he has a coworker that is losing weight on "some carb thing". I told him that it was probably Atkins or SB. I told him I have the book on SB if he would like to try it..... he wanted to know what he could eat. I told him in a nutshell what he could.

So, I said all that to say this...... if it was your spouse, would you recommend it? Also, if you have had a great success with it, do you mind sharing your story with me? AND, (I know I am asking a lot), if you have a male version of the story, that would be great!

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Welcome sweetie! SBD is very doable and I once lost 80lbs in 5 months on it. I regained the weight because of a mental illness but I'm back on it! I would definitely recommend it!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

If he's interested in SB, I would encourage him. It's not calorie-restricted so he won't have to be hungry. My DH isn't trying to lose weight, but he loves SB because I cook really yummy meals and he likes good food. He is diabetic and it's also a great way for him to stabilize his blood sugar. You will also be able to combine WW and SB (some of our chicks do), so you can eat the same meals.
If he's going to try it, he should read the book first to see what it's all about. Also, if you have the older version of the book, make sure you get the updated food lists. They are in the stickies here. The current version is South Beach Supercharged. Good luck! And congratulations on your success with WW!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #4  

Thank you ladies! I will get the newer book if he continues to inquire.

FoodObsessed, I don't want to get into your business...... but I just started Pristiq and I can tell a difference, and as an added bonus, it has taken away my appetite! Woo Hoo. My Dr. said it would last a week or two, but I am almost to goal thanks to it! I needed that push in the last 10 pounds.

Tammy
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Tammy, what is Pristiq for? You are not intruding in my biz. at all! I have schizo-affective disorder. I'm pretty happy with my meds.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

If he is interested and ready, I would encourage him to give it a try! Even just for the health aspects of it, I think SB is a great way of eating.

Now my husband wouldn't do SB if you paid him. He'd miss his bread and potatoes too much.
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kslosingit View Post
Now my husband wouldn't do SB if you paid him. He'd miss his bread and potatoes too much.
He might change his mind. My DH loves the SB meals I cook and says he doesn't miss white bread & white potatoes. Loves brown rice, lots of sweet potatoes, WW bread, oatmeal. He really appreciates the recipes I get from this site and we love making new things. He even helps me chop the veggies. One thing he'll never give up though is his beer!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

I have switched him over to a lot of the stuff I eat (and the kids too). They all eat chili and meatballs made with ground turkey now, which I'd have never thought they'd do! I am slowly trying to get the white bread out of the house too, but it's hard! My husband and my oldest son will not eat a sandwich on wheat bread, no matter what. The younger kids are easier to switch over but the older ones are pretty set in their ways. None of the kids have weight problems. In fact, I have to watch to make sure my older 2 are eating enough. That's why I keep buying them white bread. I rarely make white potatoes anymore though and they don't seem to mind.
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/176/150

Height: Five foot Three inches

My husband has lost 30lbs since November on South Beach, it's been the only diet he has been able to follow without problems because it's just eating off a food list basically. There is a sticky here with the fast food you can eat he has printed it off and keeps it at work for his lunches.

He loves it and says he never feels hungry.
Hot Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

My friend (at the time, coworker) did south beach with me. In a way, it was a bummer...for every lb I lost, he lost TWO!! Sigh. But, he lost 50 lbs, and believe he has kept it off. It really changes the way you eat and your habits.

Good luck!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #11  

Thank you all for your input. I am more than willing to do "one plan" in the house. If this is what gets him healthy...... hey I am all for it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

My husband and I are doing this together and he loves it as much as I do... he's never hungry and the food is very good.

This is actually our second go around with it, he lost about 50 pounds in about a 4 month period and then maintained it for about a year before we both got off track.

If your husband wants to know what he can eat and just the general gist of the plan, these 3 threads from the SB Faqs section of the forum will give him a pretty good idea.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...meal-plan.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...ay-2008-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...ay-2008-a.html

Let us know if either of you has any questions at all... we're all happy to help.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #13  
kip

S/C/G: 183/174/150

Hi Tammy,

My husband and I are both on our second go round of the SBD. He LOVES it and he loses weight easily on this diet. We started January 25 and today he is officially down exactly 20 lbs. He finds it very easy to do (partly because I plan the meals) because meat and eggs to him is like cakes and cookies to me, LOL!! With both of us dieting together, it makes it so simple and we keep each other motivated. This board has been a wonderful resource. Good luck to you both!
kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #14  

Thank you for all of your information! I think this maybe the ticket for him. You know, (and I may get some pushback from this remark)-- I think it is harder for a man to count calories or points, especially in his line of work. They eat out sooo much and it would be easier for him to eat from a list.

You have no idea how thankful I am that you all replied. I will keep you updated on both mine and his progress!

Tammy
Old 03-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
Thank you for all of your information! I think this maybe the ticket for him. You know, (and I may get some pushback from this remark)-- I think it is harder for a man to count calories or points, especially in his line of work. They eat out sooo much and it would be easier for him to eat from a list.

You have no idea how thankful I am that you all replied. I will keep you updated on both mine and his progress!

Tammy

I'm female and actually find it hard to count calories or points... to do it for the short term is fine, but to think about doing that for the rest of my life is definitely overwhelming... South Beach is very easy as an eating plan for life, which is one of the things I love about it.

It's very easy to eat out as well.... A big salad with some type of protein in it... A lean steak or chicken (no potato) with extra veggies.... once you get in the swing of things, it's really pretty simple.

I do recommend you both read the book... it really helps to understand what the thought process is behind the program.

Good luck... please do keep us posted.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote